What do you think? Stolen smartphones

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Stolen or lost? Majority of people get their phones stolen after losing them. They should be more responsible and the people that take them should have some integrity.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Stolen or lost? Majority of people get their phones stolen after losing them. They should be more responsible and the people that take them should have some integrity.

Sorry what I meant to say was that I recently seen news footage on the DC news about 3 individuals who lives were changed basically over smartphones being stolen. Recently Two young women were harassed and robbed of their phones by some cold hearted kids from the southeast part of DC on a metro line. Then another story of a guy who was beaten almost to death for his. Its gotten bad where I think laws should be stiffened for these crimes. I don't believe "bricking" the devices from the carriers end will curb the violence but I personally believe laws with harsher punishment s will. It may or may not work but something has to be done. That's what i was referring to in my OP. I was just in a hurry posting .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

sal the wop

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the app "got ya" on my phone. It secretly takes a pic of whoever tries to unlock your phone, sends you their location (GPS), and post their pic on your Facebook. I use it for novelty right now, but am confident it will do more if it gets stolen.

You tube the app name. There's a story of a guy who has the same app. His house got broken into and they caught the crook with the help of the app....

Thieves need to be caught!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with the Android platform. Scum bags will rob victims regardless, but pulling out your phone in a sketchy area is just asking for trouble. Friends from NYC have told me they won't use white earbuds in public because it implies that they have an Apple product and gets muggers' attention. Perhaps carriers could work with third party applications like avast! and cook these wiping/locking/location tools right into their devices but I wouldn't count on it. Everyone should be using avast! or Prey.

I hope you all stay safe out there. Be aware of your surroundings, don't keep personal photos of your partner or banking information on your phone, and always give up the goods! No phone is worth dying over!

Galaxy SIII
My Podcast - http://cyberears.com/index.php/Show/audio/6030
My Blog - https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://bearpastarocketpop.blogspot.com/

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with the Android platform. Scum bags will rob victims regardless, but pulling out your phone in a sketchy area is just asking for trouble. Friends from NYC have told me they won't use white earbuds in public because it implies that they have an Apple product and gets muggers' attention. Perhaps carriers could work with third party applications like avast! and cook these wiping/locking/location tools right into their devices but I wouldn't count on it. Everyone should be using avast! or Prey.

I hope you all stay safe out there. Be aware of your surroundings, don't keep personal photos of your partner or banking information on your phone, and always give up the goods! No phone is worth dying over!

Galaxy SIII
My Blog - https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://bearpastarocketpop.blogspot.com/

This. You have to be aware of your surroundings and not pull out an expensive device in a bad area. Now as I say this it doesn't mean in a good area you can't be robbed. It can pretty much happen anywhere and I agree that people should be punished for it but even though it is about a smartphone this is nothing really new. People have robbed others for wallets, jewelry, hell even people's cars. Nothing will really prevent it fully but you can protect yourself by being more aware.

The carriers blacklisting the phones can help diminish some crimes because the criminals will know that it won't be as valuable as a working perfect phone but of course it won't stop it. Some people will rob no matter what.. We just have to hope they get caught and then severely punished for what they did.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

LadyOfTheWord

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
This. You have to be aware of your surroundings and not pull out an expensive device in a bad area. Now as I say this it doesn't mean in a good area you can't be robbed. It can pretty much happen anywhere and I agree that people should be punished for it but even though it is about a smartphone this is nothing really new. People have robbed others for wallets, jewelry, hell even people's cars. Nothing will really prevent it fully but you can protect yourself by being more aware.

The carriers blacklisting the phones can help diminish some crimes because the criminals will know that it won't be as valuable as a working perfect phone but of course it won't stop it. Some people will rob no matter what.. We just have to hope they get caught and then severely punished for what they did.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

I completely agree. Living in Chicago, the mindset seems to be "don't show off your valuables unless you can case down and beat up the thief."

Personally, I never take out my phone after dusk, always use a cheap mp3 player when listening to music on the train, and if I do have to use my phone in a shady area I use a wrist strap whenever possible. (It helps prevent phone drops too!)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

Galaxy SIII

I also agree with this. While I was in the Philippines last year, I had to hide my iTouch or leave it at home whenever I went out in public. Pulling your phone or any other fancy electronic out is basically wearing a giant bullseye on your back. Riding on public transportation, the whole thing could get held up, and wearing earbuds in public basically invites people to beat the daylights out of you and steal your things. Even at night I had to bury my electronics in my luggage, in case someone peered through the window and wanted to break in.

I think the best way to prevent is to not use your devices in public unless absolutely necessary. Sad to say though my iTouch was stolen earlier this year in gym, I suppose my fault for using it whenever we ran or anything like that.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
People need to get tracking apps on their devices which can track the phone, lock/wipe the phone remotely, send a message, or something like that...it the best thing they can do for protection

HavnFunHere

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
People need to get tracking apps on their devices which can track the phone, lock/wipe the phone remotely, send a message, or something like that...it the best thing they can do for protection

I don't think that at all. Better to 'conceale and carry' and when robbed defend ones life and person. I have yet to get robbed and not get an item back.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that at all. Better to 'conceale and carry' and when robbed defend ones life and person. I have yet to get robbed and not get an item back.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Well if they do get their phones stolen, it really helps..better to have an idea where it could be by tracking it on the phone, then not having any idea at all...its best to not get it stolen at all, but just in case, at least you would have some things to look forward too

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I always say, use tracking apps, use Smart App Lock to lock sensetive apps including "settings" NOT dialer.
Dont lock the whole phone or itl go straght in the bin unless the thief is smart enough to get into recovery mode and reset.
Install total recall and all calls made go straght to your email.
Id LOVE to catch someone, no police involved.

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Well if they do get their phones stolen, it really helps..better to have an idea where it could be by tracking it on the phone, then not having any idea at all...its best to not get it stolen at all, but just in case, at least you would have some things to look forward too

Yeah ive never had a phone physicly taken from me. I wouldnt back down from a blade, i have plenty knife and sword scars. I had one stolen through sheer stupidity but all it was good for is making calls (i didnt have total recall on that one grr :(

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
So glad I dont live in an area that requires me to even think about when I can pull out my phone.

Only had one phone stolen from me ever and that was by a scorned lover...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I live in murder capital of western europe lol :(

Got a lovely scar on my hand from a samurai on left hand meant for my throat and a nicer one on my wrist where the surgons attatched the 3 tendons :) i have a lovely pic of the wound but wouldnt post it on here :)

MERRY XMAS!!!X

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Lol as for me I wouldnt back down from a fight as sad as it may be for my phone...this thing cost me good money! I have never had anything stolen from me but just incase i do, I am prepared

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I live in murder capital of western europe lol :(

Got a lovely scar on my hand from a samurai on left hand meant for my throat and a nicer one on my wrist where the surgons attatched the 3 tendons :) i have a lovely pic of the wound but wouldnt post it on here :)

MERRY XMAS!!!X

Now you HAVE to post a pic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ybcthanerd

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
yea tracking apps r ur best bet, but as far as stopping tha thefts its nothin u can do. as long as these assclowns can resale ur phone on some one on tha stret fa $100-$300 pure profit i dont c it ever stoppin. jus kep ur phone close to u and stay off of it it high risk areas.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

yea tracking apps r ur best bet, but as far as stopping tha thefts its nothin u can do. as long as these assclowns can resale ur phone on some one on tha stret fa $100-$300 pure profit i dont c it ever stoppin. jus kep ur phone close to u and stay off of it it high risk areas.
Why should 'tracking apps' be necessary, since most if not all smartphones . . . "Could Be Called A 'Tracker'"?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer