Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Timout Problem..

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Please Help Me...
I bought a sIII recently. And the problem is, whenever i launch an application, it first starts..then goes blank[Black screen]..then it comes again..after few seconds it goes blank and thereafter it just repeats...
It's really Frustrating.!!
I even closed all the running apps, made time-out to 2 minutes, etc...:-\

Hoping to get a reply soon....
Thank You

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Please Help Me...
I had bought the phone recently.And the problem is, whenever i launch an application, it first starts..then goes blank[Black screen]..then it comes again..after few seconds it again goes blank and it repeats..
It is really Frustrating..
I even closed all the running apps, made time-out to 2 minutes, etc...:-\

Hoping to get a reply...

Have you tried rebooting into recovery and wiping cache?

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
1. it may not be the screen timeout setting. have you tried using the app while the phone is charging ? when charging, the screen display brightness may be set to full 100%. then, go to : setting - system - developer options. enable developer options first, then check "stay awake". this will prevent phone from timing out as long as it is connected to the charger.
2. if after this the screen still goes black, then the problem is not related to screen timeout setting but the app itself not working properly. try opening other applications and see if the blackout still happens.
3. if somehow this happens to all applications, then the error seems to be with the phone settings. the quickest solution but not the best is, doing Factory Reset and restore everything to original state.
4. last resort when the problem insists after factory reset, the phone hardware is faulty, but fortunately the warranty is still in effect. just bring it to the nearest samsung point.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
no..
Can you please explain..
I'm a first time user..

No sweat. Power down. Reboot by pressing power home and volume up keys at the same time and release when you see the Samsung logo. (I find it easiest to hit volume and home first, then power). You will then reboot into recovery mode. Scroll down using the volume keys and highlight wipe cache partition. Touch power to select (if that doesn't work try Home key). Next it should wipe then bring you to the top of the menu, highlighting reboot and hit power/home.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Factory resets are suggested way too much. Wiping the cache does the same thing, is faster, and preserves your data and settings. If the problem still exists, then it is a problem with the app, or a hardware problem with the phone. Now, a factory reset may help where wiping cache does not, but that is very rare. Part of the factory reset process IS wiping cache. You could also try settings in the app itself, but in this case it seems unlikely, due to the screen blacking out frequently.

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
1. it may not be the screen timeout setting. have you tried using the app while the phone is charging ? when charging, the screen display brightness may be set to full 100%. then, go to : setting - system - developer options. enable developer options first, then check "stay awake". this will prevent phone from timing out as long as it is connected to the charger.
2. if after this the screen still goes black, then the problem is not related to screen timeout setting but the app itself not working properly. try opening other applications and see if the blackout still happens.
3. if somehow this happens to all applications, then the error seems to be with the phone settings. the quickest solution but not the best is, doing Factory Reset and restore everything to original state.
4. last resort when the problem insists after factory reset, the phone hardware is faulty, but fortunately the warranty is still in effect. just bring it to the nearest samsung point.

It happens to all my applications..even my camera..!!

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Factory resets are suggested way too much. Wiping the cache does the same thing, is faster, and preserves your data and settings. If the problem still exists, then it is a problem with the app, or a hardware problem with the phone. Now, a factory reset may help where wiping cache does not, but that is very rare. Part of the factory reset process IS wiping cache. You could also try settings in the app itself, but in this case it seems unlikely, due to the screen blacking out frequently.

The thing is it happens to all my apps, not just a particular app..

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Did you try the troubleshooting steps 1 and 2 in Post #9? If not, go do them and tell us what happens.

Did you try clearing cache as described in post #10? If not, do that and tell us what happens.

Until then, there's not much more we can suggest.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this tip ProblemShredder! I was trying to figure out how to keep my screen on when plugged into 12 VDC and using Navigation. I do wonder why they just don't put that setting under display? But no matter, thanks to you, I'm again a happy camper. :)