Play music thru USB on Ford Sync

voyager_1700

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if this is possible or not.. I have a 2011 Mustang and a Samsung S3 Galaxy. When I connect it it says No media and says the device will not allow playing licensed music thru the USB(or something to that effect)..However it works using Bluetooth.. But I prefer the USB cause you switch playlists, artist, albums or even song titles when connected via USB, but not thru bluetooth.
Even when I have it connected to a Windows computer I can't seem to get it to play.

Thought suggestions? HELP...

Thanks

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I have an 09 Fusion and have never been able to do this with an Android device. It's designed for Apple only, it seems. Personally, I use BT since I only really listen to podcasts or Google Music with "all music, shuffle" options. It works well enough, but for your needs it wouldn't suffice.
The best advice I have for you is to buy a cheapo iPod and use that for music in your Mustang. They work well with Sync.

Jaym88

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem and it is driving me nuts. 2013 Boss 302, can't connect S4 via usb. Ford Sync is horrible, but this drops it to a new low.

ramsdaro

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,
First a disclaimer: This requires root access (aka root your phone) to get working. I cannot be responsible for anything that happens.

Today I am happy to tell you I have a tested working solution. You can now use the USB and voice commands to control music from the external microSD card.

1) You have to root your phone.
I am not going to go into details on this there are plenty of sites with tutorials. Its really quite easy. Only took me 5 mins. Google Odin.

2) You will then have install busybox, this provides unix tools for installs.

3) Install "SG USB Mass Storage Enabler"

4) Open "SG USB Mass Storage Enabler" and set it to "Mass Storage Mode"

Thats all there is too it.

Note: I have a 64 GB micro SD card, and was formatted in exFAT and I believe most 64GB are. The exFAT format does not work with the USB Mass storage so you will have to format it to FAT32. There is a good program called easeus for this. Not sure of all the formats that will and will not work, but I know FAT32 works.

Second Note: I did upgrade my firmware to the latest as I was not having any luck getting it to work but this was prior to formatting the card. After the firmware upgrade did not work, I formatted the card to FAT32 and it worked, so you might not have to upgrade, but just wanted to mention it.

Thanks all,
and goodluck.
Ramsdaro

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2013 f150 and the only way I have found to do this is to have the music on the phone itself, it will not work if the music is on the SD card for some reason.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
SG USB Mass Storage Enabler: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...g.samsungusbmassstorageenabler&token=4z9whcva is listed as being compatible with the SGS3 and Note 2 - guess I'm not surprised that it won't download on your S4. Perhaps you can contact the developer to get him to add support for your phone?

I would think that your phone would work with your Ford Fusion, but I have neither of them so I can't say for sure. From reading other posts on the subject it looks like it often involves getting the latest firmware for the vehicle and making sure that you select the correct A2DP configuration.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have never even tried to play music through my S3 using the MS sync in my 2012 Fusion. I can't even use the steering wheel control to dial a contact phone # because the voice recognition is so poor. The navigation feature is about useless too, as all it does after connecting by making a phone call is give directions in the display window (I don't have the screen navigation option). I can't imagine why anyone would use it when the Google navigation on the phone itself gives a picture map display with or without voice instructions. My experience with Ford sync makes me think it's a half baked piece of garbage masquerading as a usable interface.

Ted Ulmer

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
You have to go in to the sync menu -> Source -> Bluetooth Device. If your phone is connected with bluetooth, it will play the music and the turn by turn directions through the maps. One thing about this is you have to play your music through your phone when using the maps app for directions. Hope this helps.

tom horn

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
I have never even tried to play music through my S3 using the MS sync in my 2012 Fusion. I can't even use the steering wheel control to dial a contact phone # because the voice recognition is so poor. The navigation feature is about useless too, as all it does after connecting by making a phone call is give directions in the display window (I don't have the screen navigation option). I can't imagine why anyone would use it when the Google navigation on the phone itself gives a picture map display with or without voice instructions. My experience with Ford sync makes me think it's a half baked piece of garbage masquerading as a usable interface.

Dittos on that I have a 2012 truck. The USB does not work at all which is most frustrating but you are right the voice recognition if terrible and even though it connects to my Android you can just barely hear it through the speakers. DOES anyone know of a good aftermarket with same capabilities that is functional?