My Galaxy S3 Freezes a lot?

NicxNicolee

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a 4 Month Old Samsung Galaxy S3 and it's from T-Mobile. I have 7.8GB used and 4.2 GB Free. I have Lookout installed on my Phone and this Anti-Virus installed on my Phone. So who knows what's making my Phone to Freeze very often? :-\

Last edited by a moderator:

NicxNicolee

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: My Samsung S3 Freezes a lot?

The Link doesn't work.
No it just started to Freeze a Few Days ago and I've had Lookout installed on my Phone for 2 Months now. I only added that Info on there because I wanted to let you guys know that my Phone is Virus Free because of those 2 Apps. How do I 'Reboot' my Phone?
And sorry I don't know what else to say.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

The search must time out. If this link doesn't work, just go into search within the s3 forum and search on "freeze". Did you install any other apps a few days ago?

To reboot, the easiest thing is just power off, and then turn the phone back on. It couldn't hurt to pull the battery for a few minutes before restarting.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site

You may need to wipe the cache partition, do the following:
1. Turn off the device.
2. Press and hold the Volume Up key, Home key, and Power key at the same time.
3. When the phone vibrates, let go of the buttons.
4. Press the Volume Down key to move to and highlight wipe cache partition.
5. Press the Power key to select and wipe the cache partition.
6. After the wipe is finished, go back up till reboot system now is highlighted and press the Power key to restart the phone.

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

You don't need any anti-virus apps, those are the malware 99.9% of the time. Lookout to find your phone if you lose it, yes, but disable the auto scans, and avoid shady looking apps. Our phones are linux based and are therefore virus free. And don't quote me saying that your redirects and ads are viruses, i didn't say anything about adware or spyware. That's from the crap you may download yourselves.

But those 2 anti-virus apps are most likely the biggest culprit of slowing/freezing your phone.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

You don't need any anti-virus apps, those are the malware 99.9% of the time. Lookout to find your phone if you lose it, yes, but disable the auto scans, and avoid shady looking apps. Our phones are linux based and are therefore virus free. And don't quote me saying that your redirects and ads are viruses, i didn't say anything about adware or spyware. That's from the crap you may download yourselves.

But those 2 anti-virus apps are most likely the biggest culprit of slowing/freezing your phone.

Linux is not virus free rest - assured. Especially if you are using java applications online or running clients that connect to unsecured networks. It just isn't being as highly targeted as the other two major os's as it isn't as popular. But with the release of windows 8, users are flocking to it in droves.

The same goes for Mac, as it is Unix based, therefore technically linux based, it is not virus free either. .

Android is particularly vulnerable as it is an embedded linux system, built on top of a custom java engine, that directly interfaces with its hardware.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

s4user1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Hi. I think it'll be better if you turn off the animations. And if it doesn't work, backup your photos,music,... and than try a factory data reset .

Sent from AC forums mobile app

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

You will find Samsung phones work better with all the gimmicks turned off!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Jorge Papadopolo

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Mine too. I have been a Samsung fan for quite some time; I also have the 10.2 Tablet and the tablet is also freezing from time to time.
I?ve been searching the internet and there is a lot of different causes, from different people. But the phone (Galaxy S3) is for which I'm getting sick and tired of resetting the device over and over for the past 2 months. It all started from a software update. I had reset the device probably some 10 to 15 times already, and from my experience I found that just don't allow any software nor app to be updated and you will be fine for quite a while. It is outrageous because I spent some money on several apps that I used to love installed on my phone but now, I rather prefer to get a functioning phone instead of a freeze dead electronic unit.
I am considering seriously to move into an iPhone. My wife's iPhone never freezes and runs smoothly. It's a shame cause I use to love my S3 but I didn?t even turned my head on the new S4 because of this freezing issues. Hopefully somebody from Samsung pay attention to this problems, this only helps Apple increase their sales.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Jorge,
If I understand correctly you've already done Factory Resets. You can try booting into Recovery mode and clearing the system cache. And of course, after performing a Factory Reset the key is to not immediately reload all of apps that you formerly had on there - otherwise you'll never find out if an app is causing the problem.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

donaldcreek

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for your advice and info. My samsung S3 has been freezing too, I followed your steps which all worked, so hopefully it will stop the freezing, Thanks again.

donaldcreek

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Thanks GTWalling for your advice and info. My samsung S3 has been freezing too, I followed your steps which all worked, so hopefully it will stop the freezing, Thanks again.

You may need to wipe the cache partition, do the following:
1. Turn off the device.
2. Press and hold the Volume Up key, Home key, and Power key at the same time.
3. When the phone vibrates, let go of the buttons.
4. Press the Volume Down key to move to and highlight wipe cache partition.
5. Press the Power key to select and wipe the cache partition.
6. After the wipe is finished, go back up till reboot system now is highlighted and press the Power key to restart the phone.

Varun Sarathy

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Hi
Just keep closing apps after exiting and free up ram in the task manager... I also recommend a battery saver as it makes the device fast. I use battery doctor.
I am a developer at XDA and android SDK
this should help.
GOOD LUCK...!!

Posted via Android Central App

lorraine crosland

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi I am having problems with my samsung galaxy s3 also, it started in Mid to end December the battery started to drain allot and it keeps coming up with device is not responding wait or ok, it doesn't matter what you press it turns of and reboots itself initially it only did it a couple of times but now it is doing it numerous times a day the battery isn't getting as low as it was at times but I have turned my phone of deleted the cache, this worked a bit better but gone back to normal again now and I have noticed on looking in settings and the battery something called drmserver is taking up 20% of my battery initially it was over 60% but since doing the cache it has lowered and the drmserver disappeared but is now back please help me as I have no idea what to do I'm sure it's a software problem and started in around end December so not sure if something on the galaxy was updated and it's caused these problems

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
now it is doing it numerous times a day
I'd recommend performing a Factory Reset to clear up this issue, particularly if you did not do one following the last OTA (around the November/December time frame).
something called drmserver is taking up 20% of my battery
Are you streaming music/movies? Perhaps you installed an app that runs at boot time - you could boot into Safe mode http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/59242 and see if the problem goes away - if it does then some 3rd party app was causing your issue.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty