My Samsung Galaxy S3 won't turn on

simonlmc

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: My Samsung galaxy S3 won't turn on

hey, im havin alot of troubles with my phone atm, well basiclly i downloaded the last update like it prompted me too then it said needs to reboot to compleate update or something like that, rebooted the device and then it just stays on the first splash screen. when the device is compleatly off and on charge its only comes up as the grey empty battery screen aswell,.
i have taken the battery out done all that stuff you would intilly think to do, then i read on a few stuff like going to recovery mode and clearing cach, restor to factory settings and that, and still only loads to first splash screen. then i also read about kies so i downloaded kies and went on to download mode on my phone, but when i plug my phone in my computer says its ready to use and that, but kies cant find the device and went onto my computer and its not showing up on there either, so with out my device regasering for kies i have no idea what else i can do, is there anylinks to download the nessery firmwear/files to my SD card and then go on recoery mode and boot it via SD card maybe? please help if possible, i dont really want to send it off for repair as thats more than likly going to cost.
Many thanks
Simon.
P.S sorry for the essay thought the more information the better for you guys to help. :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

i downloaded the last update like it prompted me too then it said needs to reboot to compleate update or something like that, rebooted the device and then it just stays on the first splash screen
Arrgh! This is happening to more and more people. You can take a look at http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=299756
to see if there's anything you haven't tried. Pulling the SIM card and SD card may help.

I haven't seen a source for the update.zip file(s) that the carriers use, so there's nothing to put on the SD card to load in Recovery mode - sorry.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Katie Lockhart

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I was installing the software for it to update so I left it for almost an hour, when I came back it was starting apps, I went for a shower and when I came out it was still starting apps. It had never taken this long so I took the battery out and switched it on again, it wouldn't go on. Before the phone goes on (as I'm sure you know) the word samsung flashes in blue....it's been doing that non stop for almost 2 hours. I tried taking out the battery again, I've tried the power button menu button and volume button thing and tried rebooting that didn't work so put it back to factory settings that didn't work and I've done the cache thing to reboot and nothing has worked :( help

GyroW

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

I'm having a similar problem,
My Samsung galaxy Xcover 2 boots (i think) with the 3 colour dots all over the screen.
I'm unable to get into recovery nor download mode, plugging in the pc doesn't show it in the list of devices,
I'm worried i hard bricked my device.
Please help, and sorry bringing up this old thread.

britcova

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

My galaxy s3 won't turn on past the Samsung screen. I tired pressing the volume up, home and power buttons at the same time and all I get is the Samsung screen and it turns black again. When I hold the volume down, home and power buttons, I am directed to some that says press up to continue or down to cancel, I then press up and then the screen once again goes black... Can someone tell what is wrong with my phone!?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Too many people having the same problem to reply to individually...

If your phone is:
1. Still on 4.1.2 AND
2. You can boot into Download (aka Odin) mode AND
3. Your computer recognizes your phone when it's connected via USB

then you can try reloading the stock firmware using a tool called Odin on your Windows-based PC.

a. Go to http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ and put your model number (ex. SCH-i535) in the search box. If it shows a 4.1.2 firmware for your phone then go ahead and download it (you'll have to register with them - it's free). NOTE: If your model is used by different carriers, be sure to download the correct firmware for your carrier (ex. VOD = Vodafone). DO NOT USE THE FIRMWARE FOR A DIFFERENT CARRIER ON YOUR PHONE, AND DO NOT USE THE FIRMWARE FOR A DIFFERENT MODEL ON YOUR PHONE! It usually comes in zip format so you'll have to extract it somewhere where you can find it. The extracted file usually has an md5 extension.
b. Download Odin v3.07 from the Internet (
here's
a reliable source from XDA). It usually comes in zip format so you'll have to extract it somewhere where you can find it.
c. Put your phone into Download mode
d. Start the Odin application
e. Connect the phone to the computer; the PC should give the usual beep, and Odin should show a light-blue box in the upper-left with the word COM in it (this means that Odin sees the phone).
f. In the Odin app, select the 'PDA' button, and in the navigation dialog that comes up find the firmware md5 file that you extracted earlier and select it
g. Wait a minute or two while Odin verifies the file that you selected. Once it has, you'll see the path/filename in the box next to the 'PDA' button
h. Select the 'Start' button and wait about 11 minutes while Odin reloads the firmware on your phone. In the window on the lower left you'll see 'stuff' happening, and you'll also see a progress bar in the upper left.
i. Odin will restart the phone when the process is complete

Hopefully your phone is now booting normally (and hopefully your data is still intact). YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

pawsaddiction

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Too many people having the same problem to reply to individually...

If your phone is:
1. Still on 4.1.2 AND
2. You can boot into Download (aka Odin) mode AND
3. Your computer recognizes your phone when it's connected via USB

then you can try reloading the stock firmware using a tool called Odin on your Windows-based PC.

a. Go to Firmwares | SamMobile and put your model number (ex. SCH-i535) in the search box. If it shows a 4.1.2 firmware for your phone then go ahead and download it (you'll have to register with them - it's free). NOTE: If your model is used by different carriers, be sure to download the correct firmware for your carrier (ex. VOD = Vodafone). DO NOT USE THE FIRMWARE FOR A DIFFERENT CARRIER ON YOUR PHONE, AND DO NOT USE THE FIRMWARE FOR A DIFFERENT MODEL ON YOUR PHONE! It usually comes in zip format so you'll have to extract it somewhere where you can find it. The extracted file usually has an md5 extension.
b. Download Odin v3.07 from the Internet (
here's
a reliable source from XDA). It usually comes in zip format so you'll have to extract it somewhere where you can find it.
c. Put your phone into Download mode
d. Start the Odin application
e. Connect the phone to the computer; the PC should give the usual beep, and Odin should show a light-blue box in the upper-left with the word COM in it (this means that Odin sees the phone).
f. In the Odin app, select the 'PDA' button, and in the navigation dialog that comes up find the firmware md5 file that you extracted earlier and select it
g. Wait a minute or two while Odin verifies the file that you selected. Once it has, you'll see the path/filename in the box next to the 'PDA' button
h. Select the 'Start' button and wait about 11 minutes while Odin reloads the firmware on your phone. In the window on the lower left you'll see 'stuff' happening, and you'll also see a progress bar in the upper left.
i. Odin will restart the phone when the process is complete

Hopefully your phone is now booting normally (and hopefully your data is still intact). YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Hey GSDer.... I'll post here in case others have the same problem..... followed all instructions - after 18 mins or so, Odin software on pc states "Reset" in upper left, original S3 stuck on stupid swirlies (colorful circles in repetitive cycle, 4GLTE in the center).

In the meantime, Verizon popup "Galaxy S(R) III (SCH-I535)" Text reads: Software is available that will help your Galaxy S(R) III (SCH-I535) communicate with your PC. Install now?

Original S3 still stuck on stupid swirlies.

Do I install the Verizon software?

Do I disconnect and try to restart?

Do I find that train and skip the S3 down the tracks?

Correction: Odin software reads "Passed!" in first box in upper left (box is green). Still stuck on stupid....

I am not able to copy the text in Odin's Message window but the last line reads: <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

Last edited by a moderator:

pawsaddiction

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Installed Verizon software (backup asst), installed successfully. SAMSUNG Mobile USB Composite Device also installed successfully, along with SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem.... then "problem happened when installing new hardware...."

Shutdown Odin, disconnected phone, pulled battery, let sit for 10 mins, put battery back in, tried to boot into Safe Mode, not able to - stuck on stupid swirlies for 7 mins....

Pulled battery, let sit for 10 mins, put battery back in, booted into Recovery Mode, wiped cache, tried to boot from there - stuck on stupid swirlies for 5 mins....

Pulled battery.... it is now 11:48am PST. I'm glad I'm not a drinker.

(no SIM card or SD card in phone at all today)

Was loading the stock firmware the 2nd option from meyerweb? Did you ever rcv the file for the 1st option? Am I confused?

I am passed the point of disappointed in the Galaxy S3. Verizon can take this POS, along with their refurbed POS, and shove them both up their fu!@#$%^&*()_)(*&^%$#@$%^T&)_

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

pawsaddiction,
Sorry that didn't work out. There are only two other options that I can think of:
1. Try loading the 4.3 update on the original phone from Recovery mode (I have that file now)
2. Contact a JTAG repair service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/) to see if they think they can recover the phone without destroying the data.

I have nothing else to offer for the recovery of the original phone.

pawsaddiction

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

K, I'll try option 1. I was wondering if maybe the update would do the trick. Can you pm me the link? I'll try it immediately - few mins - before leaving work. Thank you!!

Vorpal_Droid

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Sooooo this just happened to me today and I'm supper pissed and totally bummed.

I have a Verizon Galaxy S3
I woke up this morning and was reading some texts and checking facebook, closed my eyes for a few mins woke back up looked at my phone clicked the power button to wake it up and nothing happened.
Held down the power button, nothing.
Removed the battery replaced it tried to power it on and nothing happened.
I tried Power/Volume Up/Home buttons simultaneously and nothing happened.
Took battery out plugged it into charger and the Red LED light came on, inserted battery. still nothing.
When i plug it into my computer it says QHSUSB_DLOAD..From what I have googled it looks like that is something happens when you root your phone and it becomes bricked?
the thing is that I have never tried rooting my phone before so I dunno what to do now. nothing turns on, no boot screen, nothing.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Vorpal,
When you connect the charger to the phone does it show a battery graphic? And then another battery graphic showing the current charge level and a charging indicator?

Vorpal_Droid

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Vorpal,
When you connect the charger to the phone does it show a battery graphic? And then another battery graphic showing the current charge level and a charging indicator?

Dosen't show anything, no charge screen, no boot screen, nothing.

pawsaddiction

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

If your phone is available let me know how much you'll sell it for?

Not sure who you are posting to but I have 2 Verizon S3s. Verizon sent me a refurbed S3 that I am using to get my data off of the original. I don't want either one!

As of right now, I am paying retail for their refurbed. It works great, I just hate what the original has caused me, therefore will resent it forever.

Bought the original from Verizon corporate store 1st week in Nov (barely used, was using my iPhone); rcv'd the refurbed phone 19 days later (barely used, only to get my data off of the original).

Original may be fine with the update. I don't have tge patience for it.

What are you willing to pay?

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Dosen't show anything, no charge screen, no boot screen, nothing.
Time to take it in to your local corporate store. It's possible that the battery is dead, but without another one to check with you'll have to let them have a whack at it. Sorry.

pawsaddiction

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

GSDer, you're my hero!!! Happy Dances!! IT WORKED!! :-D

Not all pics were saved, but I just backed up 643, along with 389 contacts and several misc docs I completely forgot I had. I'll take that!! Yay!!!

I didn't quite go over the 4gbs in my plan but I will considering my billing cycle renewed on the 18th.

OMG ..... whew!

Couple of weird things:

- it lagged and froze on a blank screen after installing. Just sat there. I turned it off and it *seemed* to boot fine. However.... I couldn't swype my lock screen pattern. It was totally locked - home button triggered lock screen, screen was unresponsive. Powered off and powered on and it booted perfectly. Screen was then responsive.

- Swype - I took a screen shot of the error msg I rcv'd when trying to type but can't figure out how to post it here. I cannot type ... I rcv an error msg that Swype has an invalid license. Can't use the keyboard at all for anything. The screen itself IS responsive tho.

- when I booted up the refurbed phone, a screen flashed that had a padlock and "custom". Then it booted normally and is working fine. I have never seen that screen before. Any idea what it means?

Thank you SO much! Of course I cried viewing the pics of my dad, I was losing hope that I'd ever have those cherished memories again. I'm so happy I could kiss you!!

No emoticons here so I'm sending you a BIG hug!!!! ♥ :-D ♥

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

pawsaddiction,
I'm glad to hear that you were able to recover some pictures from the original phone. Since it's working for the moment, you should check Settings -> Storage and see what Backup Assistant+ reports for amount of storage used. Also take a look in your Gallery to see if there's a folder for 'Backup+ Pictures' and 'Backup+ Videos' (they both have cloud icons on them to indicate their location) - you may find what you're looking for there.

Did you mean that SwiftKey had an invalid license? It's commonly reported that this happens - you just have to reinstall it from the Google Play Store. If you meant Swype - well, just make the Samsung keyboard the default for now. There are other fish to fry at the moment.

If you boot the refurbished phone into Download mode, does it show this exact information:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Regarding the other fish to fry, you need to decide if you're going to
- keep the original phone and send the refurbished phone back to Verizon (I'd vote against that)
- keep the refurbished phone and send the original phone back to Verizon (probably a better choice unless there's some obvious defect)
- return one of them, sell the other one (I saw that someone offered to buy yours) and then figure out what you're doing for a phone while you're stuck with the remainder of your contract

If you decide to keep the original phone, at the earliest opportunity you need to do a Factory Reset and wipe the cache from Recovery mode.

You also need to install Kies v3 (Kies v2 won't work on a phone running 4.3) and make a complete backup of the original phone. If you decide to keep the refurbished phone you'll use this backup to transfer your information from the original phone to the refurbished phone (after updating the refurbished phone to 4.3).

You should immediately contact Verizon to let them know why you haven't returned one of the phones yet, and get confirmation that when you do (today if possible), they'll credit your account.

Woof! I need a typing assistant - these paws don't work well on touch screens...

pawsaddiction

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Decisions... I wish I knew of a way out of the contract. I hadn't had a contract for nearly 10 years but heard such great things about the Galaxy... just adds to my anger. I will continue to heed your advice - I will contact them today. See if I can get credited for data too. I am not hopeful.

I don't want either phone to be honest. Depending on the response from the a$$hats at Verizon, I hope to be selling at least one of the S3s. Not sure if I'll have any takers tho considering the issues. However, it does seem to be working fine now outside of the Swype thingy.

I am on the refurbed b/c of the swype issue. I am pretty sure it was the Swype app. Do not recall seeing anything about Swiftkey but then again....

I will recreate the error msg and follow your steps for the back up stuff on the original after I check the os on the refurbed. Will be a minute.

Is there a way to post a screenshot pic here from the S3? I saved a screenshot of the Swype error msg to the SD card.

Can I send a donation your way as a token of my gratitude? I don't have much but without your help, I wouldn't have any of the pics I so desperately wanted, or the contacts.... nor would I have the phone, at least not intact. It would have been tossed out of the window on the freeway or crushed with a hammer had it not been for your willingness to help me.

You are so kind, doG bless you! :)