S3 not showing under Device Manger's "Ports (COM & LPT)" hardware type

RFeng907

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have three Galaxy S3 phones, two SGH-I747M (Android 4.0.4) and one SGH-I747(4.1.1).
When connected to my PC (Windows7), only one out of the SGH-I747M shows up under Device Manger's "Ports (COM & LPT)" while the other two show up under Device Manager's "Portable devices" as can be seen from bellow snapshot:

DeviceManager_SamsungPhones.png

I need for all the phones to show up under Device Manger's "Ports (COM & LPT)".

I have installed Kies thinking that it had to do with some missing USB serial Port driver but that still didn't resolve the issue. Also called Samsung and they did't offer any help, all they said was that the other Phones are reporting themselves as mobile devices to the PC.

Appreciate any help resolving this issue.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
In talking with others, it's either a driver issue or something to do with Kies. Probably Kies, but it really could go either way. Even though the models are different and the same, something is getting confused. TBH I'd expect them all to show up as mobile devices and not in ports.
What end are you trying to achieve? Perhaps that could shed some light on a fix.

RFeng907

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Scott for your reply, I have a software that is used for RF drive testing (Tems), and in order for it communicate with these devices they have to first appear in the Device Manger under "Ports (COM & LPT)" hardware type, otherwise the software will not see them. As for Kies, I think it has no connection to the issue because I was seeing the issue prior to installing Kies and I have only installed Kies thinking that it will resolve my issue when it updates the drivers but that didn't happen and the issue is still there.

platinum9inkc

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Go to the keypad and dial *#22745927 enable hidden menu then Go to the keypad and dial *#7284#
change to modem this will fix the COM&LPT issues hope this helps

p.s i just let windows find the drivers

Pradeep Jain1

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi ..

Have you got any solution ?
right now i am in the same situation and i want to connect my mobile in nemo ,but bcoz of comport not showing , i am not able to connect it in nemo .