Extended Battery for GS3 not performing to expectations

tkso

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Forgive me if this has already been posted before, but I'm extremely frustrated. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE i9305 running Cynaogenmod CM10.1.3 with yank555 kernel. I have just purchased a 4500 MAH lithium-ion extended battery for my phone and it doesn't seem to be working as it should. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I expected between 12-18 hours of moderate to heavy use with the screen continuously ON, mobile data ON, playing games, music, etc. Instead, what I'm observing is that after 34 minutes, the battery has gone from 100% to 7% with the screen on the whole time reading with Google Books. Bluetooth and GPS and locations services off brightness turned down.

I should also note that I have the apps Twilight, Dropbox, Facebook, Twitter, Viber, etc running in the background. But I was under the impression that this shouldn't matter and the battery would take MUCH longer to discharge. For example, when I was running stock rom on the Samsung 3000 MAH extended battery, the battery would on average, go down by 10% per hour with CONTINUOUS screen on time and making calls, emails, music, etc, therefore in ten hours the battery would be completely drained. So I expected this THICKER LARGER extended 4500 MAH battery for the S3 would be at almost double that. I should also NOTE that if I leave the device IDLE and do not use the phone at all, it would last very long, but I got the extended battery for continuous use with the screen on.

I thought maybe the battery is not being indicated properly so I used the Battery Calibration app to try to calibrate the battery so far that doesn't seem to have worked either. Could anyone offer me ideas why an extended battery is not lasting much longer than the stock samsung battery which is only 2100 MAH? The reason I got the extended battery in the first place was because I found the 3000 MAH battery wasn't lasting long enough.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Instead, what I'm observing is that after 34 minutes, the battery has gone from 100% to 7% with the screen on the whole time reading with Google Books.
Yeah, something is definitely wrong. Could be a defective battery as I can't imagine how else this could be accomplished.

tkso

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Just an update after observations:

The phone has been on for 7 hr since it was first discharged from full charge. Screen time has been 5 hr 54 mins and voice calls for 35 min. Currently battery sits at 49% so, going by these figures, phone battery has gone from 100 to 50 in close to 6 hours of screen time (mostly reading an ebook), so you would think that the battery would last 11 hours give or take to fully discharge - I wouldn't be complaining about that. I should note also that the phone has been on WIFI with mobile data disconnected - I don't know if the phone battery would last as long if it was running on mobile data ONLY.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I guess you're new to the forum so I'll pass on the usual battery spiel. In order to do any kind of battery life analysis we'll need you to post the following two screenshots from Settings -> More -> Battery:
8etyse5y.jpg
ve5aqesa.jpg
(You get the first one by tapping the graph at the top of the main screen.)

You could also provide a screenshot of the Radio Detail screen
hasuve5e.jpg
in GSam Battery Monitor Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro (there's also a free version).

Finally, you should:
- fully charge the phone before disconnecting it
- let it drain to 30% or less before capturing the data
- not perform any intermediate charge cycles

Edit: since your new battery is twice the capacity I'd expect about twice the performance, all other things being equal. That data was gathered at minimum brightness; mostly on Wi-Fi; good cellular signal; lots of bloatware disabled through Application manager.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tkso

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I managed to get some screenshots. It's certainly not what I would expect. With mobile data connected and WIFI off, 7.5 hours of screen-on time? I was expecting it to be closer to 11 hours.

2014-01-04 04.28.39.png
2014-01-04 04.28.22.png
2014-01-04 04.29.16.png

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Like Haalcyon said its probably defective because that's what i get on my stock battery on moderate to heavy use, and i get double that with my battery pack.

tkso

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
So you think it's a case of defective battery? Is there any other way that I can wipe the battery stats? The latest CWM recovery does not have the option to wipe battery stats. I'd like to think that the battery level is not being shown accurately, but if it really is a a defective battery I may have to ask for a refund and try another extended battery.

The extended battery I bought was a generic battery (no brand). Is it normal for these to be defective and not perform as you would expect? Are branded batteries like Hyperion and Gorilla better?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Like Haalcyon said its probably defective because that's what i get on my stock battery on moderate to heavy use, and i get double that with my battery pack.

You get 7 hours of screen on time with a stock battery? Somehow I doubt that.

tkso, 7 hours is a LOT of screen on time. The big, bright hi-rez screens on these phones use a lot of juice. 13 hours total with more than half of that screen on is about all you can expect. With a stock battery, 2 - 3 hours of screen on time is all you can expect. I don't think there's anything wrong with your battery at all. About all you can do is turn the brightness down some more. Or buy a 7000 mAh battery.

Battery stats reset if you charge to 100% and disconnect the charger. That's all.

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
You get 7 hours of screen on time with a stock battery? Somehow I doubt that.

tkso, 7 hours is a LOT of screen on time. The big, bright hi-rez screens on these phones use a lot of juice. 13 hours total with more than half of that screen on is about all you can expect. With a stock battery, 2 - 3 hours of screen on time is all you can expect. I don't think there's anything wrong with your battery at all. About all you can do is turn the brightness down some more. Or buy a 7000 mAh battery.

Battery stats reset if you charge to 100% and disconnect the charger. That's all.

not that hard really i never turn the brightness up and i have all unnecessary things off but its more like 5-6.5 hours