I know this has been addressed numerous times on here and I tried to do my research this morning on it.

I deleted the whole folder instead of just one picture. I looked into trying to root my phone with kango and then the digger app, but it wont go through.

my build number is KOT49H.I545VRUFNK1

I am currently deployed and lost all pictures of my wife and son and am absolutely crushed right now. Im trying to do anything I can to get them back. I seem to have a decent amount of them within a '.thumbnail' folder, but I cant find a way to restore them

Im hoping there is someone out there that can please help me get these back. The digger app seems to work great if my phone is rooted, but I cant figure it out. If someone could please give me a step by step/walk me through it/or link me a video I would be eternally greatful
    04-26-2015 02:57 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Oof, that's rough. See if this guide helps: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...ted-files.html. If Kingo isn't rooting your phone properly, see if this subforum is helpful: Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooting, ROMs & Hacks - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

The thumbnail folder unfortunately only contains mini versions of those photos. Were any of the photos backed up to Google+ Photos at all?
    04-27-2015 03:06 AM
    no pictures were backed up. I was able to use a 3rd party software (had to pay $39, but for pictures of my wife, and son, there is no comparable cost) and I was able to get them back. I put them onto my computer, and then pushed them back to my phone. My phone is set up to have all the pictures stored on the SD card, basically the 'camera roll' but I cant find a way to put them back onto the sd and still access them through the gallery. it seems as if i put them on the SD card, I then can only access them from 'my files' and im trying to keep all the pictures together in the camera roll
    04-27-2015 03:39 AM
    Whew, I'm glad you were able to recover them! Which program did you use, DiskDigger?

Not sure why the Gallery app isn't reading the photos if you manually place them on the SD card. It's possible the system's Media Scanner isn't being prompted to look for them for some reason. See if you can force it to look--try going to the App Manager, tap Gallery, then Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. When you open it again, wait a few seconds for the database to repopulate. Don't worry, Clear Data won't erase the photos you just recovered--it just clears the Gallery's database, which then gets rebuilt when you open it again.
    04-27-2015 10:16 AM