Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition Announced at Google I/O

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Too soon to tell.

Remember Sony Xperia S aosp project?
Sony Xperia S removed from AOSP, project will live on at Sony GitHub | Android Central
Google drop out of Xperia S aosp project because some binary coding issue. Now with the Galaxy S4 did they get over those hurdles that they faced in Xperia S project? It seems they did but at a caveat which is not updated immediately like Nexus device is.

After listening to the Google I/0 Edition AC podcast discussing briefly Galaxy S4 and painted picture of skepticism. The reason skepticism is warranted because how vague and short the announcement of this device was. Another issue I have is what is point of this devices and where does Google want take this concept. What does Google have to gain from this?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Not sure that this phone is worth nearly twice the price of a Nexus 4. In fact, I know it is not from my point of view. Not because a vanilla android S4 is not a great phone, but because the Nexus 4 is a great phone. The thing that makes a S4 is a feature rich experience in the software. I think the S4 is worth $650 and but not sure the Google S4 is. I bought my Nexus 4 for $392 with tax and shipping. Hard to justify spending $650 (close to $700 after taxes and shipping) for the vanilla experience you could have with a Nexus 4. If it were 32GB, it might be different. Luckily it does have expandable storage.

I feel pretty good right now having a Nexus 4 and a 32GB S4 that I got for $270!

I just wish I could clone my SIM card so I would not have to swap it out between my phones and just use one at a time!

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Too soon to tell.

Remember Sony Xperia S aosp project?
Sony Xperia S removed from AOSP, project will live on at Sony GitHub | Android Central
Google drop out of Xperia S aosp project because some binary coding issue. Now with the Galaxy S4 did they get over those hurdles that they faced in Xperia S project? It seems they did but at a caveat which is not updated immediately like Nexus device is.

After listening to the Google I/0 Edition AC podcast discussing briefly Galaxy S4 and painted picture of skepticism. The reason skepticism is warranted because how vague and short the announcement of this device was. Another issue I have is what is point of this devices and where does Google want take this concept. What does Google have to gain from this?

Price tag aside, this is a monster phone. The hardware Samsung brings with the smooth, clean UI of 4.2.2 with updates straight from Google. It covers the complaints from Nexus owners by having removable storage and LTE. It also covers the complaints on the Samsung side because Touchwiz is gone and it should ship with 12-13GB of internal storage available.

On paper, it's peerless. Understandably, though, people might not want to pay that price for it. It's just ridiculous we even get to choose. Kudos to Google and Samsung for that opportunity.

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Initial thought: TOTALLY BUYING IT WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!!

Now: ehh my s4 is treating me perfectly fine. I personally like the features of touch wiz

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Price tag aside, this is a monster phone. The hardware Samsung brings with the smooth, clean UI of 4.2.2 with updates straight from Google. It covers the complaints from Nexus owners by having removable storage and LTE. It also covers the complaints on the Samsung side because Touchwiz is gone and it should ship with 12-13GB of internal storage available.

On paper, it's peerless. Understandably, though, people might not want to pay that price for it. It's just ridiculous we even get to choose. Kudos to Google and Samsung for that opportunity.

The hardware and the expandablity of the hardware is plus. However how many features and sensors are rendered useless because stock android does not have or use the hardware inside the Galaxy S4. We still don't know if the updates are coming from Google or Samsung regardless the updates are not immediate. This device in some ways may turn out to have same fate as Nexus Q. The Nexus Q touched on already developed idea but could not expanded in more cost effective and practical matter. I feel this Galaxy S4 has been announced today. If the device sells well for Google and Samsung which will be a marginal dismal increase in profit. Google and android is about innovation and not quite seeing picture with the Galaxy S4. In end it to soon to tell but I am hoping a lot more.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The hardware and the expandablity of the hardware is plus. However how many features and sensors are rendered useless because stock android does not have or use the hardware inside the Galaxy S4. We still don't know if the updates are coming from Google or Samsung regardless the updates are not immediate. This device in some ways may turn out to have same fate as Nexus Q. The Nexus Q touched on already developed idea but could not expanded in more cost effective and practical matter. I feel this Galaxy S4 has been announced today. If the device sells well for Google and Samsung which will be a marginal dismal increase in profit. Google and android is about innovation and not quite seeing picture with the Galaxy S4. In end it to soon to tell but I am hoping a lot more.

See Motorola Xoom.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
he hardware and the expandablity of the hardware is plus. However how many features and sensors are rendered useless because stock android does not have or use the hardware inside the Galaxy S4.

Not only that, but does AOSP even support SD card storage anymore? If not, how's that going to work?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Not only that, but does AOSP even support SD card storage anymore? If not, how's that going to work?

IDK we will have to wait and see. I read article that the verge posted and they question Hugo Barra briefly. He said basically the phone was fast and the battery life great. Furthermore that their is "great backstory" on the device. Lastly the device came together in last week so it's unfinished product hence imo why they had very vague and short press event on the device.

What about the sensors temperature, humidity, air gesture and as well infrared port?

I am sure the devs will find access to these sensors but I want to know if Google with the stock aosp will utilize these functions.

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
These things make me wonder if the OS will be truly Google/AOSP/Vanilla or if there will be some slight modifications. Thing is, who would make those modifications? A whole team dedicated to tweaking for this exact hardware? Probably not. Could they even keep the updates timely if so?

But it would seem a waste to lose out on some of the camera features, sensors, etc, and have to use the basic nexus camera. I dunno. Like you said, we'll see.

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
anyone have a link to the spec sheet? I just want to see if the full T-Mobile and ATT HSPA and LTE frequencies are covered.

The unlocked ATT iPhone5 for example cannot access TMobile's full HSPA+ frequency.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa