Samsung Galaxy S4 GE REMOVES ALL Samsung Features

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah as expected. Those things are touchwiz features, not Android so pretty much expected. I mean honestly on vanilla Android people are just going to download a bunch of additional apps to do what stock Android apps should do already. The only + is getting rid of all the bloat but I did that on my root S4. Other than that, I really see little benefit to getting device and will see 0 once AT&T's bootloader is unlocked this month.

Nexus-like updates.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I really love how Google took the best hardware capable phone out there in the USA and said lets take all this bull**** out that doesn't work right and give the people what they want. Way to capitalize Google!

HTC One>galaxy>iPhone

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I feel like they picked the s4 to show people that Samsung still has a good relationship with Google and won't be forking android anytime soon. Also, perhaps they asked HTC to do a One GE, but HTC refused.

Sent from my jelly bean flavored note 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I feel like they picked the s4 to show people that Samsung still has a good relationship with Google and won't be forking android anytime soon. Also, perhaps they asked HTC to do a One GE, but HTC refused.

Sent from my jelly bean flavored note 2

The interesting part is that based on comments by Hugo Barra, this was a last minute project. One nagging thing at the back of my mind is that Motorola was rumored to debut a device at I/O, which obviously didn't materialize. A big part of me thinks they canceled whatever announcement they had, and were scrambling to find something to announce, which ended up being this S4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Great hardware with a stock OS, what I would like to see is Samsung offer their apps on a stock OS device and ditch the TW UI which we all know is still the culprit of the phantom lag.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Great hardware with a stock OS, what I would like to see is Samsung offer their apps on a stock OS device and ditch the TW UI which we all know is still the culprit of the phantom lag.

Not phantom lag. The lag is real, and it is caused by the S4's feature bloat.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I really love how Google took the best hardware capable phone out there in the USA and said lets take all this bull**** out that doesn't work right and give the people what they want. Way to capitalize Google!

HTC One>galaxy>iPhone

My order of phones would be like HTC One=iPhone=Galaxy S4

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah as expected. Those things are touchwiz features, not Android so pretty much expected. I mean honestly on vanilla Android people are just going to download a bunch of additional apps to do what stock Android apps should do already. The only + is getting rid of all the bloat but I did that on my root S4. Other than that, I really see little benefit to getting device and will see 0 once AT&T's bootloader is unlocked this month.

You don't lose your warranty if you DO want vanilla Android. If vzw offered Google s4 I would pay an extra hundred for it because I wouldn't have to root it to like it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

HTC One>galaxy>iPhone

Are the radios the best?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Let's keep the discussion civil. If you don't care for the thread, just move on. If you believe a post is inappropriate, then feel free to report the post.

Don't post in the thread if you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Last edited:

Marcos Capella

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I really don't see how losing touchwiz features is actually a "loss". Ignoring the good stuff like the camera modes the list of usable features is over.
I'm just noting the obvious here, but having stock android on S4 is awesome because people can have the best hardware in the market in two flavours.
And let's face the fact that Samsung has been dealing with some upgrades issues internationally. I think the S4 will get new androids versions for only over one and a half year and then it's done, just like what happened with the S2, which was released in 2011 and can now be considered obsolete.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I really don't see how losing touchwiz features is actually a "loss". Ignoring the good stuff like the camera modes the list of usable features is over.
I'm just noting the obvious here, but having stock android on S4 is awesome because people can have the best hardware in the market in two flavours.
And let's face the fact that Samsung has been dealing with some upgrades issues internationally. I think the S4 will get new androids versions for only over one and a half year and then it's done, just like what happened with the S2, which was released in 2011 and can now be considered obsolete.

It can be a loss in the way that you're putting down $650 on this phone for the exact same features of the $300 Nexus 4. The original S4 costs $650 off contract and it has the eye scrolling, hover hand, etc. if this phone doesn't have those features activated then it just shouldn't be the same price as the original S4. Which is why I'm holding out hope that since Google worked with the S4's shell that it also worked with the S4's features/insides. That's the only way this thing would sell imho. Updates straight from Google themselves is nice but not enough to entice people to buy this phone over signing a contract, or even buying one of multiple color S4s that should be coming out soon and flashing the stock image off of this very phone onto it.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Pay more and get less.

GE is a waste UNLESS Samsung adds their own functions individually on the play store.

Samsung makes a lot of great features (some not so great as well) and to pay full price for the device AND lose functionality isn't good.

Let me determine which features I want on my phone and download what I want then we're in business and this would be great.

Get rid of the touchwiz launcher, features I don't like, yet keep features I do like, stock Android, perfection.

As it sits now, stock Android hasn't caught up with skinned Android

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Pay more and get less.

GE is a waste UNLESS Samsung adds their own functions individually on the play store.

Samsung makes a lot of great features (some not so great as well) and to pay full price for the device AND lose functionality isn't good.

Let me determine which features I want on my phone and download what I want then we're in business and this would be great.

Get rid of the touchwiz launcher, features I don't like, yet keep features I do like, stock Android, perfection.

As it sits now, stock Android hasn't caught up with skinned Android

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Your last sentence is flat out wrong. The only area touchwiz and sense are better is with the camera features.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Your last sentence is flat out wrong. The only area touchwiz and sense are better is with the camera features.

Thats subjective, I bet there are some people that prefer Touchwiz over Stock Android
I personally like the look of touchwiz over stock android...either way, I'd get a launcher no matter what device I have