HTC ONE Google Edition VS. Galaxy S4 Google Edition

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Neither will be "better." This goes back to the carrier s4 v HTC one argument. These two phones will lose most of their identifying software factors with sense and touchwiz being removed. That leaves people to argue about hardware, and, come on, that's just a worn out argument.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Neither will be "better." This goes back to the carrier s4 v HTC one argument. These two phones will lose most of their identifying software factors with sense and touchwiz being removed. That leaves people to argue about hardware, and, come on, that's just a worn out argument.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Having issues with quotes there, Johnly? :)

Anyways, I agree with what Jennifer said. I may be picking up both, so I can certainly post my thoughts, but when you're running an identical platform on two flagship 'superphones' the lines become blurred for everything except physical build quality. And we've certainly had enough debate about that in these forums already.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Took the words out my mouth, its the exact same software and hardware is pretty much be the same, just one has a bigger screen and the other has Beats audio
I'm actually getting sick of seeing threads like this

pjeverly

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I do realize it's dumb question in it's simplicity, but there has never been three "Nexus" phones out at the same time. For people that really might buy one or the other, it's now exceedingly difficult to make a decision.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It's going to be the s4 of course.

-faster CPU
-faster RAM
-larger screen
-Better camera (although features will be missing)

The only advantage the one has is the appearance. It's the best looking phone out, period.

Both have the same build quality, htc just has better build materials.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I do realize it's dumb question in it's simplicity, but there has never been three "Nexus" phones out at the same time. For people that really might buy one or the other, it's now exceedingly difficult to make a decision.

I understand you quoted the word nexus, so its to be used lightly, but the Google edition devices are not to be confused with nexus line devices.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Well the GS4 Google edition will have DDR3 ram vs DDR2 ram on the HTC One. The GS4 will also have a higher mega pixel count, I doubt the ultra pixel will look any good without the software to go with it. The GS4 will also have a bigger removable battery, and will still have expandable storage. Not to mention it appears the GS4 has a stronger radio all around esp on LTE. Most people with both are getting 10 megs faster download speeds on the GS4 vs the HTC One.

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
There's another major difference between the two...
Htc has decided not to include tmobile 1700 antennas for 4g... Just for lte.
So with this brilliant move they just cut off a big chunk of their customer base who already has a contract free deal with tmo and is more likely to buy unlocked phones.

Sent from my Nexus

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
There's another major difference between the two...
Htc has decided not to include tmobile 1700 antennas for 4g... Just for lte.
So with this brilliant move they just cut off a big chunk of their customer base who already has a contract free deal with tmo and is more likely to buy unlocked phones.

Sent from my Nexus

LTE IS 4G.

You basically said "htc had decided not to include 1700 antennas for 4G...just for 4G"

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
The pc thing to do would be to say "neither" because they'll both run the same OS and lose camera features & IR blaster, but I've thought about it and the more I think about it the more the Google S4 seems to be the better buy. Not because of any spec wars, only because a lot of what the One different outside of construction was Sense 5. Without it you're just left with a 4MP camera with lackluster stock camera settings and Beats, with a $600 price tag. The S4 will lose its camera features as well, but other than that all of its novelty is in the hardware. Assuming that since the One has Beats, this S4 won't be a clean stock either. If the gestures and whatnot are baked in and stock still retains the same performance then this S4 takes the cake pretty easily. Same removable storage with option to root to store on SD, same removable battery, but with a lag free OS and updates from Google and this phone is already better than the original S4. I can't really say that this One is better than the Sense One, you just lose too much. Its not like Sense 5 was bogged down anyway, it's just stupid. But it's adaptable if you work enough with it without putting up a launcher in the meantime.

I'm thinking hard about buying one of these phones but something's just telling me to save that coin to see what the XPhone looks like or wait for a Snapdragon 800 phone to hit the market. I'm not too thrilled that this phone is $50 more than the stock One and has half the memory, even with expandable storage. Then again on the other hand, for $50 more than the Google Edition One, you could buy the developer's edition, get double the memory, and flash AOSP.

Neither one really seems like all that good of a buy.

DavidT787

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I owned both the nexus 4 and T-mobile GS4, and I returned the GS4 due to the lags. I will buy the GS4 GE since there's no lag at all with stock android. Samsung really forced it with all the software that constantly running in background and contributed to lags that were unbearable for me considering the transition from nexus 4 to GS4. So if you don't want to root and a clean/no lag phone, then you should go with GE.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
S4
expandable storage
expandable/interchangeable battery
Better Battery Life
A more rich colored display
Better Daylight camera
HSPA+

One
50 Dollars cheaper
Beats Audio
A more crisp display
Better Low light camera

I personally always liked HTC's build quality but the Samsung with the expandable battery is invaluable option for me.

If I had to choose I would go with S4.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
S4
expandable storage
expandable/interchangeable battery
Better Battery Life
A more rich colored display
Better Daylight camera
HSPA+

One
50 Dollars cheaper
Beats Audio
A more crisp display
Better Low light camera

I personally always liked HTC's build quality but the Samsung with the expandable battery is invaluable option for me.

If I had to choose I would go with S4.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

HTC has had some pretty bad build quality for a while now.
Evo, evo 3d, evo shift, one X, one s, Rezound, droid incredible, etc.

All those phones had build quality issues.

It's too early to tell with the one, it's only been out for a moment, but a broke company like htc, i can see them having build quality materials.

I'm just curious, what about htc build quality do you like?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well I have The One and the build quality and material quality seem to be second to none. Same as my htc evo lte that my daughter will use to replace her s3

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
HTC has had some pretty bad build quality for a while now.
Evo, evo 3d, evo shift, one X, one s, Rezound, droid incredible, etc.

All those phones had build quality issues.

It's too early to tell with the one, it's only been out for a moment, but a broke company like htc, i can see them having build quality materials.

I'm just curious, what about htc build quality do you like?

The EVO and One X had build quality issues? First I've heard of it.

HTC isn't broke, and they just released a successful and profitable device... So...

But, back on topic. Personally, there's no escaping that silly physical home button, over-saturated and unrealistic display, and cheap plastic. But that's just my opinion.

I figure the camera is of a higher quality on the S4, but the build materials, audio components, and display are all far more valuable on the One. IMHO, the One is the more valuable device, yet it's sold at a cheaper price. Win-Win.

Side note: I do not own the One or S4, nor do I intend to purchase either; fanboys need not reply as I'm as unbiased as they come.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The EVO and One X had build quality issues? First I've heard of it.

HTC isn't broke, and they just released a successful and profitable device... So...

But, back on topic. Personally, there's no escaping that silly physical home button, over-saturated and unrealistic display, and cheap plastic. But that's just my opinion.

Yes, the evo (I had it) and one X have build quality issues.

Ports dying, dead spots on screens, speakers dying, yes build quality issues. The devices were poorly built.

And you don't like the home button, saturated colors, and the plastic, fine, but we weren't even talking about that, we were talking about the build quality.

What's wrong with the build quality?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If I had to choose between the two the Samsung device would be the one I would purchase. I own the HTC one and I feel HTC screwed the pooch with the two button arrangment and the very flush power and volume rocker. At the end of the day plastic or metal wouldn't matter as my phone spends most of it's life in a case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa