Formating MircoSD card as internal storage makes my phone go into a boot loop

May 13, 2019
Visit site
So when I insert my MircoSD card and format it as internal storage, it goes up to 20% and then it sends my phone into a boot loop! I don't know my it does that

Specs
Samsung S4 gt i9506

Twrp recovery

Rom: Crdroid android 9.0 pie

And by the way, if you say it's because of a custom rom, I tried it on the same phone but stock and it still doesn't work.

PLS help meh

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Formatting as adoptable storage isn't really recommended in the first place. Proper implementation by the different manufacturers can be hit and miss, which may be your issue. Even if it did format correctly, there's still a number of downsides, including corruption of the SD card and data loss.

SD cards are best suited for storing individual files, and leave your apps on the internal storage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I merged threads and moved it to the S4 Rooting/ROMs/Hacking forum for more specific traffic.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Looping is one reason hat Samsung doesn't format the card as internal storage. (Just formatting it that way doesn't make it internal storage except the the phone it was formatted on, the phone it's used on till has to mount it as internal storage - and Samsung doesn't.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Now I got a new question. Can you move apps to the ad card using an app, because my app manger doesn't let me move any of my apps (even tho I move one the other stock device)
Not every app can be moved. It depends on how app the developer set it up. Even those that can be moved will still leave a portion on the internal storage to function properly. How much is moved will vary, but no app can be ran 100% from the SD card. Then, when you upgrade those apps, they will be moved back to internal storage to do so, meaning you'll have to move them again.

This still isn't advisable, and for some of the same reasons adoptable storage isn't. Apps are constantly writing data to keep their status updated. SD cards are not designed to handle constant use like that, which leads to early corruption.

There may be methods to force an app to the card, but I'll leave that to others to address. I don't move my apps, so it's not something I've looked into.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since you're rooted, you could try Link2SD or App Mgr III to move apps to the SD card, but I agree with everyone else -- it's not ideal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty