Eye Tracking works after all? (Video)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I know it's in Russian, but we don't need to understand what he's saying to see what he's doing:

Полный обзор Samsung Galaxy S4 - YouTube

Fast forward to about 5 minutes into the video. First he shows off the air gestures but then, while holding his hand still he looks up and down on the screen and the phone responds by scrolling a web page up and down. Here I thought this only works with you tilting the phone slightly to scroll up and down. Weird. From what I understood, this was the Octa Version of the phone and it scored above 13000 in Quadrant.

He also was able to use air touch as a magnifier in the browser.

Either way, cool stuff I hadn't seen yet, thought I'd share.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Look like it.

Still, what a lame feature. I highly, highly doubt it'll work as advertised even a majority of the time. And even then, it's still undeniably inferior to a finger swipe in almost any situation.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Look like it.

Still, what a lame feature. I highly, highly doubt it'll work as advertised even a majority of the time. And even then, it's still undeniably inferior to a finger swipe in almost any situation.

Not gonna know until the phone comes out.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

lostmyphone

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Looks promising. I've only seen a couple of sources to confirm the eye tracking (to scroll) works.

Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon's something, something.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Is this and the air swipe (if you want to call it that) use the front camera or sensors? Only asking because the S3 is apparently meant to get many features from the S4 so just wondering is this would be one heading for S3?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
lol exactly!! Sheesh man, some people are quick to jump the gun!! I guess the hate is too strong to hold back! lol!

lol and here we go again.

This is going to be my next phone. Don't be so quick to label every criticism as hate. He's right that we won't know for sure until the phone is out, but it's not unreasonable to call it gimmicky right now. By its very nature (assuming it works 100% of the time as you want it) it's situational at best. I'll definitely be turning this off, especially for battery savings as reported by several reviews so far.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Look like it.

There are time that I don't want to touch my phone with dirty or sandy hands but the best example for me is this. In the summer I can get very sweaty hands and have difficulty with the screen. Of course this doesn't mean it will work or if I will use it but what the heck, it's worth a shot.

ThisTechBoi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hate is strong with this one Obi Wan

images

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

This is going to be my next phone. Don't be so quick to label every criticism as hate. He's right that we won't know for sure until the phone is out, but it's not unreasonable to call it gimmicky right now. By its very nature (assuming it works 100% of the time as you want it) it's situational at best. I'll definitely be turning this off, especially for battery savings as reported by several reviews so far.

lol Try it for a week, bet you would probably leave it on then

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

My apologies for 'Hate' labeling you Love! Should of used 'critique' instead but that wouldn't of sounded right, lol! Regardless, we'll all be able to 'critique' the device when we have it in our hands. :) I agree with turning it off to save battery life though.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I can imagine this feature would be pretty nifty for reading a book or long text on a website, but that's probably about it. I wonder how well it'd work lying down on a flat surface.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Look like it.

You must like using flip phones.

I for one love that if I have to look up from a video or a game it will pause it!

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

Here we go again with the gimmick label, until the phone is released then it is unreasonable.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Here we go again with the gimmick label, until the phone is released then it is unreasonable.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Exactly, I cant stand when people use that term as if it were deragotory... For all of those who do not actually know the definition of gimmick, I think the S4 fits in nicely with 3 maybe 4 of them.
Definition of GIMMICK

a : a mechanical device for secretly and dishonestly controlling gambling apparatus
b : an ingenious or novel mechanical device : gadget
a : an important feature that is not immediately apparent : catch
b : an ingenious and usually new scheme or angle

c : a trick or device used to attract business or attention

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87