Galaxy S4 Design

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
S4 felt better in my hand than the HTC one....ppl will be shocked was they have both in they hand

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Just got back from playing with them both at the ATT store.....

The HTC One edges are uncomfortable and sharp. The phone is noticeably heavier, but it otherwise ok.

The S4 although larger, was lighter, much more enjoyable to hold, and that SCREEEN!!! That screen is pure sexy!

I watch the Lion King trailer on them both in HD... The S4 took the cake in color and wow factor for the picture!

I also, having never used either, felt the touchwiz was more intuitive, and easier to navigate than the HTC brand of interface.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, you'll be getting a full review comparison from me on each phone next weekend. It'll give me a week with the S4 and a week and a half with the One. Hopefully it helps people decide easier than reading some of the crap reviews that glorify the One and dismiss the S4 over "premium" materials.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, you'll be getting a full review comparison from me on each phone next weekend. It'll give me a week with the S4 and a week and a half with the One. Hopefully it helps people decide easier than reading some of the crap reviews that glorify the One and dismiss the S4 over "premium" materials.

Well you just said the crap reviews that glorify the one so you actually have your mind made up before you have used the s4 a week...why not just write the review now?
These "crap reviews are written by the majority of testers and sites that do this for a living..I also don't remember anyone writing a bad review of the s4..just saying if they had to choose a device it would be the one.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't compare accurately until I've used both, and although I've made up my mind on my own device, I want to share my thoughts on both so people can make up their own minds. When I said "crap reviews", its aimed at the reviews where they've dogged the S4 for the build quality, claimed there's performance issues, and mostly projected their "meh" attitude instead of being objective. There's people that read the Verge review, I'm sure, and decided against getting it all because David Pierce hates the build quality.

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey I want to quote this:
To clarify my point, design is so much more than just the materials used. It's angles, ergonomics, placement, etc. Yes, the Galaxy S4 is made of plastic. Toys are made of plastic. Therefore, this phone must be a toy. It's that kind of ridiculous reviewing that takes away from some impressive feats Samsung achieved on the S4 design. When the iPhone 5 was released, a huge part of their marketing was placed on the fact that they were able to upgrade the internals and make the screen bigger while making the phone thinner and lighter. Samsung has achieved the same thing here; it's screen is larger, the camera/battery/CPU/GPU are bigger and better, and the phone itself is thinner and lighter. The main difference here? The iPhone 5 is made of the oh-so vaunted aluminum and the Galaxy S4 is polycarbonate. Is aluminum a more premium material? Yes. Does that make the S4 design worse for using polycarbonate? No.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't compare accurately until I've used both, and although I've made up my mind on my own device, I want to share my thoughts on both so people can make up their own minds. When I said "crap reviews", its aimed at the reviews where they've dogged the S4 for the build quality, claimed there's performance issues, and mostly projected their "meh" attitude instead of being objective. There's people that read the Verge review, I'm sure, and decided against getting it all because David Pierce hates the build quality.

Maybe he's thinking gs3 fans will love the s4, but people on the fence should consider the One since it has a balance of performance & design.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

+1 it seems many of the so called professional reviewers fell for the One's good looks and lost their objectivity ignoring the One's many shortcomings. Most of them simply sounded love struck by the aluminum.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
+1 it seems many of the so called professional reviewers fell for the One's good looks and lost their objectivity ignoring the One's many shortcomings. Most of them simply sounded love struck by the aluminum.

But what's wrong with falling in love with a phone? If looks are that important to a review or to a consumer then they should be able to give their opinion. They are totally different devices. I understand why people like the s4 and accept it..It's a wonderful phone. When I use both and look at both the features and looks, feel of the one is more to my liking..I don't think it's the"best" just best for me..we can have mutually respect for the time and work that went into the design or software of a product without feeling one is"better"for everyone...

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
But what's wrong with falling in love with a phone? If looks are that important to a review or to a consumer then they should be able to give their opinion. They are totally different devices. I understand why people like the s4 and accept it..It's a wonderful phone. When I use both and look at both the features and looks, feel of the one is more to my liking..I don't think it's the"best" just best for me..we can have mutually respect for the time and work that went into the design or software of a product without feeling one is"better"for everyone...

LOL @ falling in love with a phone

Seriously, as a consumer, we can fall in a love with a phone. However, professional reviews should be objective and if they are clouded by purely aesthetic qualities then it taints the review. I admit the One has an overwhelmingly good feel and look. But after spending a week with it, the annoyances out weighed the aesthetics and I just picked up an S4.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you, obviously those who think plastic=toy should not be allowed to write reviews, because obviously they have not used the s4 and have no intentions to do so.

They completely ignore the fact that the plastic the s4s casing is made of is proven to be far more durable than the aluminum bodies of the one/iPhone.

I want a phone that won't scratch with the littlest if contact.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Stocklone

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
My problem is not that it is plastic. I think the Lumia 920 is one of the most beautiful phones on the market. My problem is the design is tired. The pattern they put on the plastic is terrible. And I cannot tell if I'm looking at the S III or the S4 without careful inspection. I expect this kind of design derivative laziness from Apple. Not Samsung. And I own the SII, Note II and Note 10.1. So not a Samsung hater by any means. They should have upped their game for 2013. My bet is that Note III fixes all of these complaints. I don't expect that to be a rehash.

I'll give them the same props I gave Apple: well at least it's lighter and thinner. That's some good engineering right there.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
My problem is not that it is plastic. I think the Lumia 920 is one of the most beautiful phones on the market. My problem is the design is tired. The pattern they put on the plastic is terrible. And I cannot tell if I'm looking at the S III or the S4 without careful inspection.

Well, to this, I have one response:

(screaming like Sam Kinison)
IT'S A PHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These things don't need to be 'beautiful'. You're not going to have sex with it. Why do you give a flying f**k what the design on the plastic is like? Please tell me, because I really need to understand this seeming lack of logic and common sense that people appear to have when it comes to inanimate objects. It is the opinion of lots of folks that the HTC One is heavier, has sharper edges, and is less comfortable to hold than the S4, and is no more/less durable, yet some STILL say the HTC One has a superior design.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
They completely ignore the fact that the plastic the s4s casing is made of is proven to be far more durable than the aluminum bodies of the one/iPhone.

Except that the S4 is pretty bag in drop tests. The plastic back breaks easily and the screen shatters due to the small bezel.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
My problem is not that it is plastic. I think the Lumia 920 is one of the most beautiful phones on the market. My problem is the design is tired. The pattern they put on the plastic is terrible. And I cannot tell if I'm looking at the S III or the S4 without careful inspection. I expect this kind of design derivative laziness from Apple. Not Samsung. And I own the SII, Note II and Note 10.1. So not a Samsung hater by any means. They should have upped their game for 2013. My bet is that Note III fixes all of these complaints. I don't expect that to be a rehash.

I'll give them the same props I gave Apple: well at least it's lighter and thinner. That's some good engineering right there.

Adding .2" of screen real estate to the same form factor, while also increasing the battery, ram, cpu size AND making the phone lighter, and thinner, and pretty stinking innovative.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Adding .2" of screen real estate to the same form factor, while also increasing the battery, ram, cpu size AND making the phone lighter, and thinner, and pretty stinking innovative.

The post your quoted complains of the overall appearance, not the lack of the "innovations" you listed.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The post your quoted complains of the overall appearance, not the lack of the "innovations" you listed.

And I cannot tell if I'm looking at the S III or the S4 without careful inspection. I expect this kind of design derivative laziness from Apple. Not Samsung. And I own the SII, Note II and Note 10.1. So not a Samsung hater by any means. They should have upped their game for 2013.

That is part of the design.

Definition of DESIGN

transitive verb
: to create, fashion, execute, or construct according to plan : devise, contrive
a : to conceive and plan out in the mind <he designed the perfect crime>
b : to have as a purpose : intend <she designed to excel in her studies>
c : to devise for a specific function or end <a book designed primarily as a college textbook>
archaic : to indicate with a distinctive mark, sign, or name
a : to make a drawing, pattern, or sketch of
b : to draw the plans for <design a building>
intransitive verb
: to conceive or execute a plan
: to draw, lay out, or prepare a design

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Careful inspection? They both look quite a bit different.
The S4 looks like the S2 ... and I'm glad Samsung went that way.

Plus Samsung is trying to get you to look at the screen, not what's around it. =P

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
That is part of the design.

Definition of DESIGN

transitive verb
: to create, fashion, execute, or construct according to plan : devise, contrive
a : to conceive and plan out in the mind <he designed the perfect crime>
b : to have as a purpose : intend <she designed to excel in her studies>
c : to devise for a specific function or end <a book designed primarily as a college textbook>
archaic : to indicate with a distinctive mark, sign, or name
a : to make a drawing, pattern, or sketch of
b : to draw the plans for <design a building>
intransitive verb
: to conceive or execute a plan
: to draw, lay out, or prepare a design

So you realize when you listed battery, CPU, RAM, etc that none of those have to do with design, right? I mean, you gave the definition, I'm surprised that it seems beyond your comprehension.

The definition of battery, RAM, or comprehension can be found in the same place as design.

The S3 and S4 look alike, fanboy, that was the person's point as it is mine. The items you listed do not have anything to do with said complaint; the users simply stated the devices look too similar to one another and he thought that lazy on Samsung's part. No one said anything about the internal specifications of the devices until you brought them up, which was entirely irrelevant.

No need to get your panties in a bunch whenever someone isn't singing the GS4's praises. It's a fair assessment to state the S3 and S4 look alike.

My apologies for using words with more than one syllable, but you've proven your skill with a dictionary, so I'd expect you will triumph in the face of adversity.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer