News Is the Galaxy S24 Ultra the 'peak' of smartphone design?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung certainly think it is. Personally I just think they've gotten lazy.

They just sit there on their throne... Waiting for someone better to come along and knock them off it.

Reactions: bradavon

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
It's a slab o' glass. Sorry, but there just aren't that many ways to skin that cat.

When it comes to choosing either square corners or rounded corners, what else ya' got? Angular corners? Flutes? Pear-shaped phones from the mid-2000s Nickelodeon sit-coms? Then you're just getting silly.

Camera bumps are pretty much all you have left to work with. And really all that gets you is another edge to chip, dent, or otherwise damage.

Phones don't need to entertain you just sitting there on your table with the screen off. It's how you use it. And does it do what you need? That's what should count.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1raygin

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Get rid of the selfie HOLE on the screen.....either put it in a BEZEL if it must exist, or go under screen. Forcing them to go under screen will make them work on improving the quality the same as under screen FP sensors. On that subject put the FP sensor back on the back where it ALWAYS worked better! Stop with 18 camera lenses. We could all get by with three MAXIMUM and center them in a vertical line. That's all I have for now.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
No.

It's form over function. It looks cool in photos but everyone basically says it's harder to hold than the Plus. It's an ergonomic mess.

Samsung killed the Ultra and rebranded the Note for no good reason. The S20 Ultra and S21 Ultra didn't have a Pen because most people who own one don't use it.

The funny thing, to me, at least, is that Apple gets blasted every year when it releases the same phone design for years. The onslaught of memes is never-ending, but in reality, Samsung is just as guilty.

And Samsung gets the same flack.

The S22, S23 and S24 are essentially the same phone.

The S24+ gets a battery almost as big as the S24 Ultra and 1440p finally back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Get rid of the selfie HOLE on the screen.....either put it in a BEZEL if it must exist, or go under screen. Forcing them to go under screen will make them work on improving the quality the same as under screen FP sensors.
A fingerprint scanner isn't a camera my friend.

Putting a cover over a lense is always going to bring with technical challenges.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Samsung certainly think it is. Personally I just think they've gotten lazy.

They just sit there on their throne... Waiting for someone better to come along and knock them off it.
They've all got lazy.

Foldables are where the innovation is now.

Apple are no better since Jobs passed away. The M1/M2/M3 Macs are a evolution better but can you call it innovation.

iPod, iPhone, iPad were all risks. M1 Macs are Laptops.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
They've all got lazy.

Foldables are where the innovation is now.

Apple are no better since Jobs passed away. The M1/M2/M3 Macs are a evolution better but can you call it innovation.

iPod, iPhone, iPad were all risks. M1 Macs are Laptops.
Samsung have even let their foldables stagnate.

To be fair, Apple are taking as big if not bigger a risk with the $3500 Ski goggles as anything else they've ever released.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Samsung have even let their foldables stagnate.
Indeed. No competition does that. Theyhave some now so I'm interested to see what the GF6 looks like.

To be fair, Apple are taking as big if not bigger a risk with the $3500 Ski goggles as anything else they've ever released.
True 😆

I don't reckon they're expecting it to be wildly popular, it's so expensive for one thing.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
No.

It's form over function. It looks cool in photos but everyone basically says it's harder to hold than the Plus. It's an ergonomic mess.

Samsung killed the Ultra and rebranded the Note for no good reason. The S20 Ultra and S21 Ultra didn't have a Pen because most people who own one don't use it.
I really enjoyed my S21U. I only got rid of it because of the insane trade-in Samsung offered with the S22U. I mean, it was stupid-good.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
I really enjoyed my S21U. I only got rid of it because of the insane trade-in Samsung offered with the S22U. I mean, it was stupid-good.
I went from the S22U to S21U. I couldn't get on with the boxy design and sent it back. I also had very little use for the pen.

S21U is one hell of a phone. I'll get a foldable next but the price should be similar to the Ultra, it needs to come down a lot.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Indeed. No competition does that. Theyhave some now so I'm interested to see what the GF6 looks like.

True

I don't reckon they're expecting it to be wildly popular, it's so expensive for one thing.
My guess is they aren't planning to make it a real consumer product til the third or fourth gen.