Auto correct on S4

BillyMichael92

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
So u received my S4 today and as this is my first Android phone I am very happy with it.

I am having one problem. When a type something wrong it doesn't auto correct when I press space. Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Vicki Kunkel

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
According to this article, the S4 does not include an autocorrect function: Samsung Galaxy S4 review: Flagship phone takes a (small) step forward | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post.

Seems odd, but that is what this particular article states.

I know on the S3, to enable auto correct you just populate a text message or email, click the SETTINGS icon, then slide the PREDICTIVE TEXT bar to the right to enable. You could try it on the S4 to see if there is a function. (Not that I am doubting the author of the above-referenced article; just thought it may be something for you try just in case the article was mistaken.)

Congratulations on your new S4!! I'm jealous. :)

BillyMichael92

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
According to this article, the S4 does not include an autocorrect function: Samsung Galaxy S4 review: Flagship phone takes a (small) step forward | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post.

Seems odd, but that is what this particular article states.

I know on the S3, to enable auto correct you just populate a text message or email, click the SETTINGS icon, then slide the PREDICTIVE TEXT bar to the right to enable. You could try it on the S4 to see if there is a function. (Not that I am doubting the author of the above-referenced article; just thought it may be something for you try just in case the article was mistaken.)

Congratulations on your new S4!! I'm jealous. :)

There is an option for predictive text and I have it switched on but it doesn't work. When I click space it doesn't change the word. I've ended up having to use SwiftKey but if anyone has any ideas how to get the normal keypad working I would be interested.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
It just doesn't autocorrect. I would suggest trying an alternate keyboard from the Play Store. I use SwiftKey. The android 4.2 keyboard autocorrects very well.

BillyMichael92

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
It just doesn't autocorrect. I would suggest trying an alternate keyboard from the Play Store. I use SwiftKey. The android 4.2 keyboard autocorrects very well.

I'd begun to think that might be the case. Very weird that it doesn't. Yeah I'm using SwiftKey too. Seems to be working well so far

TheJMonster

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I have never liked the default keyboard from samsung, it just really sucks and I hate the fact that you have to pay for a good keyboard when google has a perfectly good keyboard by default. just go download the default android keyboard for 4.2 here: Android 4.2 keyboard - xda-developers you don't have to be root or anything, just allow sideload. keyboard is so simple and works amazingly well. I still don't get why samsung removes it.

wvbwizard

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I installed this keyboard based on this thread's recommendation, and maybe I am just dumb, but it even installed and I can't figure out how to get it to show up to be able to use? It still uses the original keyboard for me.

Please help thanks.

BillyMichael92

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I installed this keyboard based on this thread's recommendation, and maybe I am just dumb, but it even installed and I can't figure out how to get it to show up to be able to use? It still uses the original keyboard for me.

Please help thanks.

Which keyboard did you install. The keyboard from the post before yours or SwiftKey?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you install Swiftkey? If so you need to just open the app and follow the directions.

If not, go to:
Menu, Settings, My device, Language and Input, and click the checkbox next to your new keyboard.
After that, click on "Default" and choose the keyboard you want.

All in all, I've found Swiftkey to be the best text predictor. I've tried numerous keyboards, including the Android 4.2 keyboard and swype, etc.
If you have money to dish out for Swiftkey, it's probably the best way for you to enjoy your typing experience. However, I hate how you have to pay for something like a keyboard... so I completely understand.

I think Samsung dropped the ball here.Probably the worst part about this phone is their original keyboard that doesn't autocorrect... But try that keyboard mentioned above and a few others before you completely get furious and throw your phone to the wall.

wvbwizard

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, I downloaded the swiftkey, it is awesome. Since we are discussing the s4, could you give me some hints on how I can delete some of these pre installed apps? Or is my only option to "disable" them? Also, do you know how to stop apps from auto updating? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, I downloaded the swiftkey, it is awesome. Since we are discussing the s4, could you give me some hints on how I can delete some of these pre installed apps? Or is my only option to "disable" them? Also, do you know how to stop apps from auto updating? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
To uninstall/remove bloatware you've gotta root your phone, otherwise you can only disable. Have you looked at the settings of the apps or the autosync settings on your phone?

Solariis

May 8, 2013
Visit site
It's a pity that swiftkey doesn't allow for an emoji plugin to be used. :(

I have been using SwiftKey for the past week but it also doesn't have an option for a number row at the top. Unfortunately, I had to go back to the stock keyboard since pressing and holding a key to get a number is even more annoying to me than not having an auto-correct option with the default Samsung keyboard. Swiftkey has had this request going since almost 2 years ago in August 2011, as seen here: Number Row (optional) / 5 row

If you want Auto-correct and don't mind NOT having a number row, then SwiftKey may be the app for you... At least until we get the bootloader unlocked on the AT&T S4 soon.

garry1bowie

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I've started using Kii Keyboard. Very, very like Swift but with the option to add the numbers at the top AND lets you use an iPhone emoji plug-in too! You should check it out.
I have been using SwiftKey for the past week but it also doesn't have an option for a number row at the top. Unfortunately, I had to go back to the stock keyboard since pressing and holding a key to get a number is even more annoying to me than not having an auto-correct option with the default Samsung keyboard. Swiftkey has had this request going since almost 2 years ago in August 2011, as seen here: Number Row (optional) / 5 row

If you want Auto-correct and don't mind NOT having a number row, then SwiftKey may be the app for you... At least until we get the bootloader unlocked on the AT&T S4 soon.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
when will somebody make stock kb with autocorrect for US market, i know the option is there in some other GS4 versions, it was removed from US.