Open Letter to The HTC One Fans Who Bash on The S4

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Dear HTC One Fans,

I'm a smartphone fan, not a Samsung fan. I enjoy quality tech and will use whichever phone by any manufacturer as long as it meets my needs. I have an iPhone 5 (I've had every iPhone), I have an S4 (I've had the Droid Charge and the S3 before) and I've used pretty much every HTC Smartphone (The One included).

I love android. Admittedly I love pure Android more than a skinned version but I love Android all the same. I enjoy it's features, programming capabilities and really, I love the Androidcentral community and like coming here to share excitement, stories, help others with issues and get issues of my own resolved.

The past couple of days using this forum, I'm seeing more and more hate from HTC One users in the S4 threads than I'm seeing actual posts and conversations about issues or excitement. I cannot help others with their issues and provide better experiences when I have to filter through a lot of posts from you guys hating on our phones and talking to us like we're stupid or uneducated because we chose the phone that best suited our needs. I've used both the S4 and the One and the S4 is the phone for ME. Hence why I'm on here. Hence why the other S4 users are on here. This is where we get excited. Please respect that and limit the hate so we can enjoy our new toys.

Thank you,

Kevin Guinn
Forum member since March 2011

Last edited:

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I am debating getting the S4 but have HTC phones I would not say these fourms are any different then the HTC ones, theirs alot of haters and bashers there as well or trolls whatever you want to call them

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
As of late, it seems there are more One vs. S4 arguments then there are Android vs. iPhone. Obviously, both devices are at the highest end, and there are slight differences between the two, and I really wish the discussions on both forums would focus on that rather than the old Ford vs. Chevy argument which gets us all nowhere. Either way, we should all be happy that there is a standout Android-powered device for every level of user, so the options are endless!

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
As of late, it seems there are more One vs. S4 arguments then there are Android vs. iPhone. Obviously, both devices are at the highest end, and there are slight differences between the two, and I really wish the discussions on both forums would focus on that rather than the old Ford vs. Chevy argument which gets us all nowhere. Either way, we should all be happy that there is a standout Android-powered device for every level of user, so the options are endless!

Very well said and I agree as I find myself in the middle of a lot of these debates trying to get some info, but both camps have way to many fanboy loyalists who feel the need to bend the truth about the pros and cons, I have made many purchases from the supported forums, but lately it seems the only way to get a true answer is to go to a store and see for myself.

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

avwheeler

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I find a lot of the debate helpful, always been HTC, having a hard time deciding. I know I will be 100 percent happy with either, been waiting for black at local retail. Think it comes down to what is in stock today. Yes sometimes conversations are not productive, but ones admitting both are great and providing their likes and dislikes =good.

Sent from Taptalk on EVO LTE soff on some awesome custom Rom!

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Dear HTC One Fans,

I'm a smartphone fan, not a Samsung fan. I enjoy quality tech and will use whichever phone by any manufacturer as long as it meets my needs. I have an iPhone 5 (I've had every iPhone), I have an S4 (I've had the Droid Charge and the S3 before) and I've used pretty much every HTC Smartphone (The One included).

I love android. Admittedly I love pure Android more than a skinned version but I love Android all the same. I enjoy it's features, programming capabilities and really, I love the Androidcentral community and like coming here to share excitement, stories, help others with issues and get issues of my own resolved.

The past couple of days using this forum, I'm seeing more and more hate from HTC One users in the S4 threads then I'm seeing actual posts and conversations about issues or excitement. I cannot help others with their issues and provide better experiences when I have to filter through a lot of posts from you guys hating on our phones and talking to us like we're stupid or uneducated because we chose the phone that best suited our needs. I've used both the S4 and the One and the S4 is the phone for ME. Hence why I'm on here. Hence why the other S4 users are on here. This is where we get excited. Please respect that and limit the hate so we can enjoy our new toys.

Thank you,

Kevin Guinn

I agree but then you shouldn't come on the HTC forums and comment about how "pretty" the HTC One is. It works both ways

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately there are many people who base their entire self worth on thinking they have the best phone in the world and any challenge to that frightens them,, it is actually quite sad.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
At least in the US you can get 32gb and 64gb One's for app storage, unlike the stupid low 9.6gb free in the S4. What good is the fancy hardware and features if constrained on what apps and data can be used? Answer is give customers the choice and offer larger sizes, but not looking good in the US so far.

The 16gb S4 is in relative terms to storage the modern G1, since it too was constrained for power users and gamers. At least you could apps2sd with the G1. Not an easy or stable task for Jelly Bean.

Due to app storage, seems the One if it had OTG support would be the better option in the US for gamers or others that do not want to app juggle. Nuts I have a year old S3 with 32gb and Verizon might not be offering a 32gb when apps are trending bigger now.

Of course, their on average ignorant staff are telling people on phone and in store, "You can install apps to the sd card". Jeepers.

BTW, if the S4 had larger storage options to sell, I would agree it is a better option than the One. No point though, since kind of like a Ferrari with a three gallon tank.

Hoping Verizon is just offering the 16s only until 32s become available, but the lack of a SKU for the 32gb version has me doubting. Oh well, I guess I can install apps to the Sd card. Duhhhhhhhh.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh I don't know... watching these fights makes me a little nostalgic of the early "superphone" period 2 years ago when the Motorola Atrix and HTC Thunderbolt forums declared all out war on each other over at Phandroid :p
(For the record... The Atrix WAS the better phone! neener neener.)

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Dear HTC One Fans,

The past couple of days using this forum, I'm seeing more and more hate from HTC One users in the S4 threads then I'm seeing actual posts and conversations about issues or excitement. I cannot help others with their issues and provide better experiences when I have to filter through a lot of posts from you guys hating on our phones and talking to us like we're stupid or uneducated because we chose the phone that best suited our needs. I've used both the S4 and the One and the S4 is the phone for ME. Hence why I'm on here. Hence why the other S4 users are on here. This is where we get excited. Please respect that and limit the hate so we can enjoy our new toys.

Thank you,

Kevin Guinn

But it's all fine and dandy for the Samsung fanbois to spam the one forums !

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Dear HTC One Fans,

Thank you,

Kevin Guinn

Reading through the forums learning about the s4 a bit more...couldn't resist this thread and to say there is soooo much trolling going on in our forums, more than here. I'm all up for a healthy debate but thread after thread?

Sent from my awesome HTC One B-)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Meh, phone itself IMO rocks. It is just the available storage size that sucks with the 16gb. Hoping VZW offers a 32gb version- sooner rather than later.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The only HTC phone I ever had was the HTC Thunderbolt by Verizon...as in the very first original 4G LTE smartphone by Verizon on day one. The Thunderbolt was good for about a year, then went way downhill after that with many problems. I don't think I'll be getting another HTC phone again any time soon.

Plus I have multiple friends with HTC phones, and they can't use FoxFi/PdaNet wireless tethering app, but instead get the error message that they need to contact their carrier for using their phone as a wifi hotspot. I'm pretty sure HTC is blocking the FoxFi/PdaNet app, as I know users of HTC phones from Sprint and Verizon, and they all have the same problem of getting blocked for trying to use the tethering app.

I'll stick to my Samsung Note 2 by Verizon which I'm able to use the FoxFi/PdaNet app just fine.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It's all about picking which you like best.

Do you like a minimalist phone with emphasis on aesthetics with the best screen and speaker sound available on a phone without the extra features and content with 32 or 64gb of storage, the one is the best choice for you.

Do you prefer a phone with all the features you can get whether you will use them or not (the choice is there), a great screen, not the best but still great, expandable storage where you can get up to 96gb with use of microSD cards, removable battery for when/if the battery dies in the middle of the day, the fastest processor, the largest capacity battery, then get the s4

No wrong choice, no right choice

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
People will say what they want and hate for now, but after a year or so, everyone will be back holding hands singing Kumbaya again