If iPhone 5 also has a 5-inch screen, would you still be getting the Galaxy S4?

Which phone would you get?

• Total voters

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Settings>Wi-fi>Off
Not five steps.
There are plenty of ways to customize iOS especially if you jailbreak. You change pretty much anything and everything, add widgets etc.
The problem with going from a 4 to 5 inch screen on iOS is it breaks the screen/app resolution.

Well we are on Android Central, so the majority of people will be fans off Androids OS. I'm sure over on the Apple forums they are the opposite, they like iOS and their apps and don't care about customization etc. I personally find iOS boring and well easy to use in some ways, but awful in other ways. I can't stand that it takes 5 steps to turn on or off wifi.

Marc Jentzsch

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Settings>Wi-fi>Off
Not five steps.

Most likely just hyperbole. Been too long since I owned an iPhone for me to weigh in.

I'm not a real fan of the relatively massive bezels on iPhones, so unless that was fixed I wouldn't go back. I picked my phone in part due to the form factor and that includes not just screen size, but screen to footprint ratio.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
problem with going from a 4 to 5 inch screen on iOS is it breaks the screen/app resolution.

That's actually a pretty big problem. And has become more of an issue a they've introduced more iOS devices with varying resolution and aspect ratio.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm not really interested in the S4 at this time. I don't think it's a big enough upgrade over my S3. But to answer the question, I'd have no interest in a 5" iPhone, either, if it were still like the current iPhone in other respects. I have no use for Apple's "we know better than you," locked-down approach to design. Show me an iPhone that I can configure to look like this, and I might consider it. (It's not really about appearance, it's about the flexibility to organize things the way I want to.)

Screenshot_2013-05-01-22-14-06.png

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Ecosystem
Email clients
App exclusivity
Better looking apps
More availability
Better customer support

You're entitled to you opinion, of course, but the only one that really makes sense to me is better customer support, and maybe ecosystem.
There are multiple email clients available for Android, and if you can't find one that meets your needs you're using some mighty strange email system.
App exclusivity is declining all the time. There are very few apps that don't exist for both, or have equivalents for Android. And there are plenty of apps that simply don't exist for iOS because the system doesn't offer the capabilities to let them work.
Better looking? I suppose. I think Apple's insistence on making apps look like some old analog version of the functionality has gotten silly. Just because my Mom had to flip pages in a notebook doesn't mean I should have to pretend to flip pages on my screen.
More availability? Than what, a phone that was just introduced? Duh. Wait a month and you'll have no problem walking in off the street and picking up any version of the S4 you want.
Ecosystem is a trade-off. Yes, Apple's is more integrated, but also more locked down.

Even if I granted you all of the above, I'd have a hard time seeing a list of 6 things as "most ways." LOL

sean8102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll be honest I would be very tempted to give the iPhone a try again if it had a 5 inch 1080p screen (last one I used was a 4S). That's the main reason I switched because I was tempted by the bigger screens on android phones. I think the iPhone is a really great smartphone, but I know it wouldn't take long at all before I started to miss certain features of Android.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Settings>Wi-fi>Off
Not five steps.
There are plenty of ways to customize iOS especially if you jailbreak. You change pretty much anything and everything, add widgets etc.
The problem with going from a 4 to 5 inch screen on iOS is it breaks the screen/app resolution.

Assuming that you are at the home screen and not using an app. Then it's 3 steps, if not then it's 4. I tend to hit the home button twice to get to running apps then scroll over to the app which is 5 steps/clicks however or whatever you want to call it. That is my point iOS doesn't give you or allow you to quickly change settings.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I get the new iPhone every year along with that year's Nexus & Galaxy phones but the iPhone just sits in my pocket as my emergency backup (though recently replaced the iP5 with a Z10 as my emergency pocket device) & is also useful if robbed I'd give that up before my Android, LoL.
However, since I use Android tablets for games & media consumption, I'd definitely consider making an iPhone my primary phone if it gets:
-a 4.5-5inch screen
-support for Widgets (even if only on a separate page like "Search" )
-an LED indicator (not the Camera flash)
-Toggles in the Notification Shade (without jailbreaking)
-better Ringtone management options

Last edited:

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Screen size is only a small part. If I want to have my hand held in a walled garden, I'll take my wife to the Biltmore Estate.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely yes. I have an iPhone 4S now, which I wanted after how crappy my original Galaxy (Verizon's Fascinate) was. iOS is solid, simplistic, durable ... but two years later, two phones later, very little has changed. Which at first I didn't think would bother me because I do like iOS (I have an iPad 2 I'm very happy with). But seeing the current high-end Android phones on the market .. in the beginning of July when I can upgrade, I am certainly picking from that lineup. The S4 is my top contender.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I chose the iPhone. Now if given the choice between large screen iPhone and HTC 1, the answer would be the 1.

Absolutely yes. I have an iPhone 4S now, which I wanted after how crappy my original Galaxy (Verizon's Fascinate) was. iOS is solid, simplistic, durable ... but two years later, two phones later, very little has changed. Which at first I didn't think would bother me because I do like iOS (I have an iPad 2 I'm very happy with). But seeing the current high-end Android phones on the market .. in the beginning of July when I can upgrade, I am certainly picking from that lineup. The S4 is my top contender.

Make sure and look at the HTC 1.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I would go back to iPhone. I love to customise my phone and not be limited on what I can do with it. I do own a ipad and a mac pro which I adore.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums

PaulWog

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Played with the Galaxy S4 today, such an impressive hardware without any doubt. I was especially in love with the 5" display, I thought it was the perfect display size for today's smartphone. Sure, its still pretty hard to be used with one hand, but it feels just right in the hand. My problem is that all of my family members use the iPhone, it'd be nice to be able to use the iMessage and Facetime features. Many of my friends have iPhone as well. I also personally prefer the iOS, and somewhat excited for the upcoming iOS 7. This made me wish that Apple releases a 5" iPhone, I will get it without any hesitation.. In the meantime though, I can only envy the Galaxy S4 owners. Do you guys feel the same way?

To be honest, a 5-inch screen wasn't the selling point for me. I felt the iPhone 4s screen is too small for smartphone features, and the iPhone 5 doesn't make sense to me (too tall, needs to be slightly wider by a couple cm).

On a second go-around in 2 or 3 years for my next smartphone, I might be able to make a better decision on what I want. For me, the camera quality is a big selling feature. Signal strength, battery life, and screen quality are also big for me. Hands-free software, etc, also huge. The S4 has done well and disappointed simultaneously... The iPhone 5, even if it had a wider screen and less off-screen space at the top and bottom, still wouldn't be my first choice.

I could see myself being jealous of the iPhone 6 when it comes out though... if Apple doesn't screw up like they did with the iPhone 5.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hold yourself man. WP has stepped its game in terms of apps, and it is more customizable. If you want customization, stay with android. This is why I have a 920 and a Nexus 4, best of both.

Yeah but still no flip board not many major apps on it. You guys just got an optimised version of YouTube still no gmail etc. And besides I've bought a lot of apps on iOS and I have a N4 and iPhone 5 and in my opinion its the 2 most established OS's so I also have the best of both worlds:)

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
That's actually a pretty big problem. And has become more of an issue a they've introduced more iOS devices with varying resolution and aspect ratio.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Eventually this will hopefully mean they wont give the BS excuse that it will be to hard for our developers to recode their app.

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ecosystem
Email clients
App exclusivity
Better looking apps
More availability
Better customer support

Your opinion of beat is different to mine right? So therefore it's not fact simply opinion.

I believe that Android has a better ecosystem and better looking apps.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Settings>Wi-fi>Off
Not five steps.
Not everyone is always on the home screen with the settings app. Here are the steps from in an app to turn off WiFi.

iOS:
1. Go to home screen.
2. Navigate to screen with settings app.
3. Open Settings.
4. Turn off WiFi switch.

Android:
1. Pull down Quick Settings.
2. Hold WiFi toggle.

On Android, apps are designed to adapt to the screen.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums