09-16-2016 10:23 AM
48 12
tools
    I don't use s-voice I use Google now way better and faster.
    Apologies if stupid question ( android newby ) : how did you substitute the google now voice recog (which seems far better than s voice) for s-voice in the driving mode of the S4 ?

Cheers,

F
    09-19-2013 11:40 AM
    I have still to find a way to replace s-voice for google now. I do not think you can on the GS4

Apologies if stupid question ( android newby ) : how did you substitute the google now voice recog (which seems far better than s voice) for s-voice in the driving mode of the S4 ?

Cheers,

F
    09-22-2013 01:26 PM
    I was excited about getting my SGS4 until I tried voice calling on it. It seems like every time I tell it to call someone it comes back and tells me how many entries I have that contain that name. I don't care about that, and I never had this problem with my old Droid Razr. And when it does find the exact match (which most of the time it doesn't), it takes so long to find and reply back to me that sometimes I think it's not doing anything, then all of a sudden the lady's voice comes back says it's calling the number or it didn't find it. Is there any way we can get Samsung to do something about this? I don't want (or need) my phone to tell me I have a text message or ask me if I want it to read it to me. Now if the voice dialing worked , then I might not mind this feature, but since it doesn't, having my phone telling me I have a text message and telling me how entries I have with the same name just frustrates me even more. It's like this phone is trying to do too much and it's not doing a good job of it AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-03-2013 06:14 PM
    I found this in another post on this site titled:

Replace S Voice with Google Now when activating thru headphones
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...eadphones.html

The post said:
    You just have to disable S voice; the phone will then default to Google Now. To do this:

Go to "settings" -> "more" tab -> "Application Manager" -> swipe over to select "All" -> click "S Voice" -> click "Force stop" -> click "Disable"

Your phone should now default to Google Now
    10-04-2013 09:50 AM
    After reading the responses here I was able to get my s4 to recognize a few names in my contacts. I cleared out the default number and just made Seperate entries for cell numbers or home numbers. So now I can just say text "husband cell".
    But I have found another strange problem with s voice. I ask it to navigate to a city and it will open Google maps but then I have to physically enter the destination. The voice responds with "I will navigate to Ventura California", Google maps opens, and then nothing. I thought it would then give the directions to the destination I asked for. That's not exactly a hands free help while in the car. It actually takes less time to just open the app on my phone. Is that how is supposed to work?
    10-05-2013 05:07 PM
    Voice command on the Note 3 is horrible. I am coming from a Nokia 920 and it generations ahead of this mess.
    10-08-2013 07:55 PM
    Yeah I too am having trouble with S Voice, it used to update my Facebook for me now it is saying I need some active code and reckons I am not logged into Twitter when actually I am
    10-11-2013 06:16 AM
    One thing about disabling S Voice: if it is disabled, Voice control in Settings > My device > Call settings > Answering/ending calls is not available (it doesn't appear on the settings screen). I'm trying out using it to answer calls, so I have to keep S Voice enabled. Even with it disabled, however, I didn't find that Google Now automatically replaced it in, say, the Phone app: when I tapped on the microphone icon with S Voice disabled, nothing happened at all.
    10-11-2013 09:06 AM
    Picking this up again to report that after the 4.3 update:
    • S Voice does much better at recognizing names in my address book.
    • Disabling it (now called "turn off") still does not put Google Now in its place, e.g., in the Phone app (when I tap the mic icon, I get an error message that the app is disabled).
    • However, even with S Voice disabled I can still use Voice control to answer the phone.
    11-05-2013 12:01 PM
    I switched recently from an old iPhone 4. Both S-voice and google now seem better than iPhone at recognizing names. But neither allow you to make a call on your earphone mic while the phone is in your pocket. You're forced to take it out of your pocket, at which point you might as well use your finger. I'm surprised android users seem mostly happy to live without this very basic very useful feature.
    11-12-2013 01:17 AM
    SHI☆tVoice has been a horrible experience for me on the S4. Jist updated to 4.3 and it still sucks like a vaccum.

First off, out of the box it doesn't work at all if you use a security code or password and you tell your call accessories in settings to allow bluetooth bypass. :@

Even when your phone is unlocked and you do manage to launch it , it doesn't recognize anything you say and you end up wanting to throw your s4 out the window on the highway.

I've also tried the Google search by setting it as the default. It's not much better but I would take it over sVoice in a blink.

I found that Dragon is the most reliable way to get voice commands working on my s4. It seems to be the only program that understands me and it will work with a pin code sitting on top and locking my device. After the first call however it's a cap shoot if you can make another call handsfree not sure if it's a BT issue but even if i hit hang up on my jawbone era I can maybe 50% of the time to get a second call out hands free. It's as if the phone doesn't release the blue tooth connection to dragon .

anyway I'm very interested in hearing if anyone else has success on their s4 with voice commands and hands free dialling.

Should I just switch to Siri?
    11-25-2013 08:35 AM
    Trying to use Samsung Galaxy S4 hands-free with Pioneer radio that worked fine with my prior HTC EVO 4G. I've tried most everything suggested in this forum including: replaced completely useless S-Voice by disabling it, Google Voice works great from phone but from Bluetooth the Voice Dialer asks me to select (not say) 1 for Mobile, 2 for Home etc. It will not accept a voice command of "mobile", or "home", or "1" or "2", etc. It does accept a voiced "Cancel". How can I make the BT voice dialer work like the native phone dialer, which accepts voiced "call carol's mobile" just fine?
    01-11-2014 10:33 PM
    what is so frustrating is that when I had a blackberry there was a tutorial it to train the phone to your own speech these new phones don't have such a thing my blackberry never missed a contact. Why don't they do the same with the new s4 again?
    02-16-2014 11:49 AM
    My husband's name is Shawn. whoever programmed the names S-voice recognizes apparently thinks that everyone with that name spells it "Sean". Consequently it can't find his name in the contacts list. I tried tye phonetic workaround but it still doesn't work for me. The voice dial on my first Galaxy phone worked really well. This is so disappointing!
    02-22-2014 11:00 PM
    I use the phonetic name solution. All my contacts are on Google and I just add that field to regular contacts. To get the required phonetic name I try calling using S Voice first.
    02-25-2014 12:13 PM
    I have had a Galaxy Note 3 for 3 weeks. Has anyone else had this problem: texts sent via s-voice are not received? The posh woman says 'ok, I sent it' and the text shows up in the conversation but no one actually receives a text. I can call people using s-voice without a problem, as long as I E-N-U-N-C-I-A-T-E names. Also, if I text with emoticons, the text becomes an MMS, so also not received.
    04-12-2014 06:56 AM
    Thank you this helped me. I need help with something else however, I live in Hawaii and names are not recognized as you can expect. Is there a way to add to a "voice dictionary" so that my phone can find these contacts? I suppose I can do what you did only use an abbreviation or initial on my phone contact and merge with my google one...
    06-03-2014 02:30 PM
    I got rid of all my phone contacts, opting for a single Google contact with multiple fields (home / mobile) etc. It's not ideal but at least I dont have all the duplications.

Anyway, I discovered about 2 weeks ago that the S-Voice to text function now works on my Note3. It must've been one of the updates that did the trick.
    06-09-2014 01:36 AM
    A problem I've had on my Note 2 since I first got it is that if I use S Voice for directions, it sends the name into Google Maps instead of looking the person up in my contacts and sending the address. For example, if I say "Navigate to John Smith", it will open Google Maps and then Google Maps looks up "John Smith", generally finding a business several hundred miles away. What I expect is that S Voice will lookup "John Smith" in my contacts (since it knows how to do that), see that John's address is "1 Main St., MyTown, MA", and send that to Google Maps.

Has anyone figured out how to get it to do that?

(the obvious workaround of saying "Lookup John Smith" and then scrolling to the address, clicking the pin, waiting for Google Maps to come up, and long-clicking the car icon to get it into navigation mode is way too bulky and dangerous when driving)
    06-25-2014 03:11 PM
    Install this it's the S5 S Voice App works perfect and you will not believe the improvement, must be stock and running Kit Kat.

[APP] S-Voice from Galaxy S5 + Wallpapers & Audio files - xda-developers
    06-25-2014 07:36 PM
    I recommend to try VoiceButton. It works offline. And there you can assign aliases easy. You can find the program in the GooglePlay.
    02-03-2015 01:19 PM
    Just a quick 2 cents worth ... and a possible answer.

I was going nuts with S-Voice on my new T-mob S-4. Wouldn't recognize my Wife's name no matter HOW I said it. Totally garbled virtually everything else. I was beside myself since I do a LOT of driving and had come to rely on the voice function in my S2, where it worked PERFECTLY. (I use a Plantronics Bluetooth in ear headset.)
    Since I'm rooted, I "Froze" it in Titanium backup so that the default Voice search in Android 4.2.2 would become active.
    STILL wasn't right. Really bad, and now wouldn't speak in my ear, only through the phone's speaker at a very low level, almost un-hearable in a quiet room, certainly no good for the car!
    NOW I was mad (well, my Mom would say I'm not a dog so I must be ANGRY... LOL!).
    I un-Froze it and tried again. No Joy.
    After scouring the net, I found the answer (well, worked for me, VMMV) - Just go to Settings --> App Manager --> ALL Apps --> Scroll down and click on S-Voice --> Clear Data.
    It resets it back to default, you have to agree to the License, etc, but after that it started to work FLAWLESSLY!!!

Hope this helps some other poor soul!
    PuterPro
    Yes!!!!!! That fixed it!!! I was thisclose to smashing my phone, so thank you for saving me the cost of a replacement. Lol.
    11-22-2015 06:37 AM
    I am having same issues on samsung s6.. not sure how to merge and join lol Shoulld i delete and create a new list. I even told it it they were in my favorite list but cannot find contact. making me mad
    Thanks for sharing
    09-16-2016 10:23 AM
48 12