Apple...Just wont leave Samsung alone....

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Let's be honest here, if Apple had their way the iPhone would be the only smart phone and every other manufacturer would now be selling non smart phones.

EXACTLY!!.....AND we would also be paying to put stuff (music/movies/etc...) into our devices and paying to use their proprietary (Apple TV/etc..) stuff as well. They would be in control of how, where and when we spend our money! AHhh, don't you guys just love their ecosystem!!

With all that said though......they still serve a purpose in our society.

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Of course they didn't invent it but they CHANGED the Smart Phone by making it what it is today.

Can you really say we would have the One's and S4's if Apple sticked to Macs? I believe we would still be in QWERTY keyboard, Sliders and 3" SD Screens.

Apple just wants the credit or this case money they deserve.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 s4 SGH-I377M

Its more like, Apple realized they are being left in the dust with inferior phones, I have an i5 for work and a Rezound for personal use, I would not buy the I5, its a good media phone, but that's about it as far as my needs go. The quickest way to slow the competition is to take them on in the courts in the hope that they will force a leasing deal or large fine. Apple is not poised to release anything on par with the ONE or the S4 for the foreseeable future, even investors and industry experts have mentioned this fact. This is just Apples way to lashing out at those who have surpassed them in a market that Apple helped create.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Its more like, Apple realized they are being left in the dust with inferior phones, I have an i5 for work and a Rezound for personal use, I would not buy the I5, its a good media phone, but that's about it as far as my needs go. The quickest way to slow the competition is to take them on in the courts in the hope that they will force a leasing deal or large fine. Apple is not poised to release anything on par with the ONE or the S4 for the foreseeable future, even investors and industry experts have mentioned this fact. This is just Apples way to lashing out at those who have surpassed them in a market that Apple helped create.

In other words, Apple isn't playing nice and being sore losers.

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
"In an order released earlier this week, U.S. District Court Judge Robert Scola said that he believes Apple and Motorola "have no interest in efficiently and expeditiously resolving this dispute; they instead are using this and similar litigation worldwide as a business strategy that appears to have no end." According to Bloomberg, which was first to report on the ruling, Scola said that the companies are not properly using the court's time and resources."

I remember reading that one, he was getting on their case really good during that court case.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by ryanr509<br />
Don't act like if any of you guys had a multi billion dollar company and you saw someone create or copy your idea in the slightest way that u would sit back and let them do it. You would protect your company/products/ patents with your life. You have to think about it from the consumer side and the business side. Companies don't get as big as apple or Samsung by sitting back and watching people take their ideas.<br />
<br />
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
<br />
And cell phones don't get to the point they are now by companies like Apple tying up all the patents that wouldn't allow others to produce innovative phones. Let's be honest here, if Apple had their way the iPhone would be the only smart phone and every other manufacturer would now be selling non smart phones.
Its not apples fault they got the patents.they aren't going to not file for a patent. Be mad at the FTC or whoever gives out the patents.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jusmebabe

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If they didn't sue each other all the time they couldn't overcharge for the phones. :beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I see some ppl mentioned Samsung sues too....well in this case what was Samsung supposed to do? They had to counter sue if they could.

All I know is I'm getting tired of all the lawsuits. And lets be real...alot of these lawsuits were started by Apple. I wish there was no such thing as FRAND patents. Lets see how many lawsuits Apple would win or attempt then. Comparing Google to Apple for lawsuits.....thats like comparing pop warner, little league football to the NFL... Yea just about every company does it. Apple is the king of the lawsuits right now tho. Apple just dont want a repeat of the Mac vs Windows wars. Buts its already too late. And what they feel gates stole from them. The Samsung vs Apple lawsuits should be a made for TV movie like Pirates of Silicon Valley. And it amazes me that back then I actually felt bad for Apple, rooted for Apple.

Times sure have changed....

Everybody saying Apple has a right to protect their inventions, innovations.....they day I will agree with that is the day I see appliance makers, TV, monitor makers suing each other. Samsung vs LG is one example for screen technology, they sued each other. And amazingly thats probably the only one or one of the few. Apple sued over icons, shapes, round corners.... So please with "Apple should sue to protect their stuff" Thank god Apple isnt into other markets.... And hind sight being 20/20....LG and the LG Prada coulda been the company, phone every body would say changed the smartphone game.... Apple executed better and had better marketing. Or if Apple woulda never did the oirg iPhone....the LG Prada would be the iconic smartphone everybody tries to give all the credit to.

Sue for something worthwhile. Then, maybe I will agree that Apple needs to. This is the same Apple that claimed financial damages from Samsung copying and stealing....and yet every......every ....version of the iPhone has outsold the previous one. Every.....every......iPhone launch on a new carrier has set sales records. Apple is becoming more of a joke every month, year.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Imagine a world where companies didn't infringe on other companies patents. Instead they would develop the own ****. That spawn innovation. Not copying.

Actually it is. For example, Henry Ford's "method" of assembling cars. I can only shutter to think what would have happened to innovation if the Apple patent addicts had been around in Henry Ford's day.

"In United States patent law, a method, also called "process", is one of the four principal categories of things that may be patented through "utility patents". The other three are a machine, an article of manufacture (also termed a manufacture), and a composition of matter."

Like Xerox with their copiers ? New innovations every year. Patents are designed to give the inventors or visionary people (those that buy companies that are on to something) a head start. Henry Ford patented everything on the model T, to include four wheels. That didn't stifle innovations in the auto industry. I am sure Henry sued those that violated his patents. Patent suits happen all the time, Apple is just in the news more than other companies.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Imagine a world where companies didn't infringe on other companies patents. Instead they would develop the own ****. That spawn innovation. Not copying.

Like Xerox with their copiers ? New innovations every year. Patents are designed to give the inventors or visionary people (those that buy companies that are on to something) a head start. Henry Ford patented everything on the model T, to include four wheels. That didn't stifle innovations in the auto industry. I am sure Henry sued those that violated his patents. Patent suits happen all the time, Apple is just in the news more than other companies.

Actually, according to history, the gist of your post is questionable.. Henry Ford fought and won against a patent that would have prevented him form making automobiles. Similar to what would happen to the smart phone industry if Apple's patents were all upheld. The Selden patent was similar to Apple's claim:

"At the very beginning of the American auto industry, a group of carmakers made a blatant attempt to establish an industrial policy for their own benefit. In the guise of protecting the public from ?unreliable upstarts? and ?fly-by-nights,? they formed the Association of Licensed Automobile Manufacturers (ALAM) in 1903. The industry was in its infancy, but there were already complaints about some of the crude entrepreneurs who were entering the field. The 11 car manufacturers who formed the ALAM promised to tidy things up a bit.

Their weapon was the 1895 Selden patent, and their claim was that it covered all gasoline-powered vehicles. By controlling this patent they asserted the right to decide who should be allowed to build and sell cars. Carmakers who didn?t join the ALAM and pay royalties on each car sold could be sued and possibly forced out of business."

Henry Ford fought the patent and eventually won. See this article for the full details: How Henry Ford Zapped a Licensing Monopoly : The Freeman : Foundation for Economic Education
Henry Ford did not patent the wheel!

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually, according to history, the gist of your post is questionable.. Henry Ford fought and won against a patent that would have prevented him form making automobiles. Similar to what would happen to the smart phone industry if Apple's patents were all upheld. The Selden patent was similar to Apple's claim:

"At the very beginning of the American auto industry, a group of carmakers made a blatant attempt to establish an industrial policy for their own benefit. In the guise of protecting the public from ?unreliable upstarts? and ?fly-by-nights,? they formed the Association of Licensed Automobile Manufacturers (ALAM) in 1903. The industry was in its infancy, but there were already complaints about some of the crude entrepreneurs who were entering the field. The 11 car manufacturers who formed the ALAM promised to tidy things up a bit.

Their weapon was the 1895 Selden patent, and their claim was that it covered all gasoline-powered vehicles. By controlling this patent they asserted the right to decide who should be allowed to build and sell cars. Carmakers who didn?t join the ALAM and pay royalties on each car sold could be sued and possibly forced out of business."

Henry Ford fought the patent and eventually won. See this article for the full details: How Henry Ford Zapped a Licensing Monopoly : The Freeman : Foundation for Economic Education
Henry Ford did not patent the wheel!

I didn't originally bring up Henry Ford, you did. And Henry patented the crap out of it. Everything, to include using four wheels. Kinda like Apple did with the iPhone. It's all right there on Google Patents.

Nor is Apple trying to keep anyone else from making phones. They are only trying to protect their patents. Samsung internal documentation even states that they were trying to copy the look and feel of the iPhone. Compare the icons of Google Wallet, Microsoft's Wallet (whatever it's called), Apple's Passport, and Samsung's rendition of it. Samsung begs Apple to sue them.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't originally bring up Henry Ford, you did. And Henry patented the crap out of it. Everything, to include using four wheels. Kinda like Apple did with the iPhone. It's all right there on Google Patents.

Nor is Apple trying to keep anyone else from making phones. They are only trying to protect their patents. Samsung internal documentation even states that they were trying to copy the look and feel of the iPhone. Compare the icons of Google Wallet, Microsoft's Wallet (whatever it's called), Apple's Passport, and Samsung's rendition of it. Samsung begs Apple to sue them.

No, but you brought him up in a subsequent post and I was addressing that post. Can you provide a reference to the fact the Henry Ford patented using four wheels? I've never see that information. The counterpoint to your post was that Apple, like Selden, tried (is trying) to corner the market through questionable means rather than innovation. I gave you an example of patent law that would have restricted innovation. That is exactly the sames situation we have now with Apple. Funny that you brought up Xerox. Apple has been accused of stealing the idea for the mouse from Xerox. Had Xerox behaved patent-wise like Apple only one company would have the mouse today.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Of course they didn't invent it but they CHANGED the Smart Phone by making it what it is today.

Can you really say we would have the One's and S4's if Apple sticked to Macs? I believe we would still be in QWERTY keyboard, Sliders and 3" SD Screens.

Apple changed the Smartphone into what it was in 2010. SAMSUNG changed it into what it is today. Apple is still stuck in 2010 which is exactly why people are switching to other devices and leaving the iPhone. Also, Macs wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Xerox so let's not pretend Apple has ever invented anything.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
but I don't have a problem with a company doing what the system allows them to do.

I do. And I know it wont change anything, but being unethical just because it's technically "legal" isn't something I choose to support. That's my problem with Apple. There's a lot of things consumers might do that are technically legal, but would and does infuriate Apple and other huge corporations. But it's okay for them to turn around and adopt the same mentality. I know the system is broken, but it's unethical crooks like Apple that ruin the consumer experience. If they spent half as much time and effort with research and development as they do litigation, we'd all win. And don't say they are spending time on that, or we would have gotten the iPhone 5 in 2011.

The WheelMan

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

That's like saying that if Edison hadn't invented the light bulb, no one would have. In a matter of time someone would have invented touch screen technology. After all, Apple may have invented the modern touchscreen cellphone concept, but E.A. Johnson invented the original touchscreen technology in the 60s. Apple is great in themselves, but they in no way deserve to own the concept of a touchscreen device. It was inevitable. Jobs just beat everyone else to the punch.

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I do. And I know it wont change anything, but being unethical just because it's technically "legal" isn't something I choose to support. That's my problem with Apple. There's a lot of things consumers might do that are technically legal, but would and does infuriate Apple and other huge corporations. But it's okay for them to turn around and adopt the same mentality. I know the system is broken, but it's unethical crooks like Apple that ruin the consumer experience. If they spent half as much time and effort with research and development as they do litigation, we'd all win. And don't say they are spending time on that, or we would have gotten the iPhone 5 in 2011.

Or at least an Iphone on par with 2012 models. they would have to make major changes to the next one to even come close to this years Android models.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Or at least an Iphone on par with 2012 models. they would have to make major changes to the next one to even come close to this years Android models.

Exactly. Honestly, if Apple released the iPhone 5 in 2011 (it has technology that almost all other phones had at the time) I probably would have gotten it. Instead, they released the iPhone 4s which came packaged with a personal assistant we all know as Siri and that was the ONLY new and "exciting" feature. They stopped innovating and they had to toss in software they bought out from under Verizon in 2009 as their only new feature. When I saw the joke that was the 4s, I went with the Bionic and I thank heaven I did because that introduced me to Android and i've been happy ever since. Then Apple comes out with the iPhone 5 which had 'new' and exciting features that my Bionic had when the iPhone 4s was released! I mean come on Apple! You're better than this. I may not like the way your unethical company operates, but I know dang well you can release a better product for your consumer than you have the last two years.

ashkir

May 13, 2013
Visit site
So. I do have some questions. Why are patents awarded for such simple things? It seems like Apple tried to patent transparent images on top of any other image, which seems like a super common standard web tactic. It got rejected though. So did several other of their patents for being obvious or other reasons. And didn't Samsung's sensor get rejected for being too obvious?

Now, I do have a question, why is Apple constantly winning in American courts? And Samsung in foreign courts? It seems they have the same lawsuit going on in several countries at one time. I saw an article not long ago of Apple stating that technology patents need to be shared for innovation and they turn around and sue again?

And for the lawsuit against the galaxy tab 2 10.1 they stated it copied iPad's design and UI functionality. I tried it. Man, it's so different than iOS. Can you patent a shape? Or something like that?

Sorry. These things confuse me. I played with the iPhone 5. My family loves it, super user friendly for a good jump to smartphones, but the learning curve of android won me over. I'm even trading my iPad 2 for the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 since my dad doesn't like his that is brand new.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
...Now, I do have a question, why is Apple constantly winning in American courts? And Samsung in foreign courts? It seems they have the same lawsuit going on in several countries at one time. I saw an article not long ago of Apple stating that technology patents need to be shared for innovation and they turn around and sue again?

Can't answer all your questions but two reasons for the winning in different countries: Apple is a very powerful company (economically) in the US. Also, US Patent Law enforcement is the strictest in the world but, in my opinion, it is ridiculously easy to patent something in the US. You only have to look at Apple to see the truth in that.

BillyMichael92

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
No sure about that. Following that logic Henry Ford should have sued anyone who ever used an assembly line. That is a prime example of how Apple is trying to stifle innovation. If Henry Ford had been successful in a patent battle regarding the assembly line (assuming he had every filed a patent lawsuit) how fast would the automobile have developed and how high would automobile prices be without other manufactures being able to use the assembly line?

EDIT: BTW, I believe you have to invent something to patent it. You don't get patents by changing existing things.

I couldn't agree with this more. It is companies like this that slow down the development of technology. Apple may have created one of the first smart phones but as far as I'm concerned this does not mean that no other companies should be able to create more advanced phones also

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
That's like saying that if Edison hadn't invented the light bulb, no one would have. In a matter of time someone would have invented touch screen technology. After all, Apple may have invented the modern touchscreen cellphone concept, but E.A. Johnson invented the original touchscreen technology in the 60s. Apple is great in themselves, but they in no way deserve to own the concept of a touchscreen device. It was inevitable. Jobs just beat everyone else to the punch.

It's not about touch screen, it's about multi touch. Multi touch was invented and patented by a company that Apple bought. Apple now holds the patents for multi touch.

No, but you brought him up in a subsequent post and I was addressing that post. Can you provide a reference to the fact the Henry Ford patented using four wheels? I've never see that information. The counterpoint to your post was that Apple, like Selden, tried (is trying) to corner the market through questionable means rather than innovation. I gave you an example of patent law that would have restricted innovation. That is exactly the sames situation we have now with Apple. Funny that you brought up Xerox. Apple has been accused of stealing the idea for the mouse from Xerox. Had Xerox behaved patent-wise like Apple only one company would have the mouse today.

I don't have the time to dig through Henry's patents and read his write ups, I'll concede. However, Selden never built an automobile,and never intended to, he was a modern day patent troll. Apple makes products, using the patents they defend.

Patent US3541541 - POSITION POT - Google Patents

First patent for a mouse was 1967. Not by Xerox. Xerox did make some improvements to the mouse, which they did patent. However I was referencing the copier. They had the patents, they built the copiers, they continued to innovate and improve the copy process, without competition. The patents expired, the technology became public domain.

I couldn't agree with this more. It is companies like this that slow down the development of technology. Apple may have created one of the first smart phones but as far as I'm concerned this does not mean that no other companies should be able to create more advanced phones also

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Will someone please explain how trying to keep someone from stealing or copying your patents is slowing down the development of technology ? It would seem the opposite would be the case. By protecting my patents, it forces you to come up with your own ideas and find a better and more effective way of doing things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non