Samsung's Galaxy S4 Closes In On Apple's iPhone 5

thornesone

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Android, iPhone, Windows, BB... If they all accept calls and search the Web, then they are all good. We all have a choice. If the iPhone was made in the U.S.?! ......so, I made my choice. No reason to get excited...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
You overlooked one minor little detail. The iPhone 5 was released on AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint on its launch weekend, while the S4 was released only on AT&T. Had the S4 also gone out on Verizon and Sprint that first weekend, the S4 could well have doubled those "impressive" iPhone 5 numbers.

You are correct! I forgot that AT&T was the only carrier to launch it first. That's the cool thing about Apple is they can get the iPhone released on all the carriers simultaneously. The staggered release definitely hurt Samsung.

Sent from the collector home world.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have still yet to figure out who is to blame here, as in why they can't just release on all carriers at the same time. Obviously Samsung wants the business to sell as much as possible, so it it carriers screwing over Samsung, or is it that they can't produce as many units as Apple can?

You are correct! I forgot that AT&T was the only carrier to launch it first. That's the cool thing about Apple is they can get the iPhone released on all the carriers simultaneously. The staggered release definitely hurt Samsung.

Just the result of contracts that were entered into earlier and that do not reflect present day reality. Remember, it was less than 3 years ago that Samsung not only was unable to release the first S on all carriers, but also couldn't even get those that did to call it by the same name. In any event, I don't think Samsung cares about the launch weekend sales construct all that much. It knows it's going to outsell Apple regardless.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Just the result of contracts that were entered into earlier and that do not reflect present day reality. Remember, it was less than 3 years ago that Samsung not only was unable to release the first S on all carriers, but also couldn't even get those that did to call it by the same name. In any event, I don't think Samsung cares about the launch weekend sales construct all that much. It knows it's going to outsell Apple regardless.

Yup. Total sales and dominance is what they're after. Kimchi power!

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

irishonion

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I'm not so sure about outsell. Though its going to be interesting when Note3 comes out, due to the popularity of the Note2. I believe the Note3 and the next iteration of Iphone will be out around the same time. Fun fun fun!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You overlooked one minor little detail. The iPhone 5 was released on AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint on its launch weekend, while the S4 was released only on AT&T. Had the S4 also gone out on Verizon and Sprint that first weekend, the S4 could well have doubled those "impressive" iPhone 5 numbers.

That's not quite correct. The launch numbers for the s4 include all sales worldwide, not just in the US. So that 4 million number is definitely not just att. (especially considering att can't sell that many android phones in a QUARTER, let alone a wekeend)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't hate and you need to read the article again. It states; Sales in the first two weeks are over 5 million.

Posted via Android Central App

No. The executive said they've sold 10 million, but Samsung only reports units shipped. Samsung has not ever reported units sold, and that won't change here. (the article also seems confused, as they use the terms interchangably)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
But even if it's "shipped", we still know it ain't going to a dump.

Ah but here's why that number is misleading: stating the number shipped does not actually state how many of those phones end up in the hands of customers during a certain period. They could be sold to an end user tomorrow, or two months from now.

Handsets shipped is not an accurate representation of a device's actual sales performance at any given time.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
You obviously are a person who doesn't mind Apple's endless patent fights, locked down ios or limited options for users (i.e. iTunes). That's fine. But you are being presumptuous in telling other what they should like and how they should respond to information they receive.

No. It's just a bit funny and juvenile for two camps of cell phone users to argue over which phone is best when it really doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things. I just bought an Android phone and you guys even argue amongst each other over whose Android phone is the best. There's room for everybody.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Few points...

Does the best of anything sell with the highest numbers? Does everyone buy the best car? Do you eat at the best restaurant every day? Is Pepsi or Coke better?

The S4 is in the top 5 phones available and the iPhone 5 is not... if it doesn't sell better, wow! That's bad!

Whomever said to compare it to whatever Apple releases this year is right. Or just total Apple phones versus total Samsung phones, of any model, sold during x time period.

If you're a big Android fan, you should want Apple to do well; and vice versa. The fastest way for your platform to get new features is for it to be driven by competition. Unless you own one of the companies, you winning is about the benefit to consumers, not the sales figures.

Sometimes convincing someone to see your point of view is easier if you're respectful and actually trying to understand theirs.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
You obviously are a person who doesn't mind Apple's endless patent fights, locked down ios or limited options for users (i.e. iTunes). That's fine. But you are being presumptuous in telling other what they should like and how they should respond to information they receive.

You dont have to use iTunes. I prefer iOS to touchg wiz and Stock Android to iOS.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
No. It's just a bit funny and juvenile for two camps of cell phone users to argue over which phone is best when it really doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things. I just bought an Android phone and you guys even argue amongst each other over whose Android phone is the best. There's room for everybody.
I know right, there fanboy wars are worse then iOS fanboys.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I know right, there fanboy wars are worse then iOS fanboys.

I've never seen this place as nasty and violent as now, with the GS4 and One being released. It's downright absurd in most cases how vehemently people defend one inanimate object over another.

I don't think Android vs. Apple discussions were even ever this foul, juvenile, and rude.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I've never seen this place as nasty and violent as now, with the GS4 and One being released. It's downright absurd in most cases how vehemently people defend one inanimate object over another.

I don't think Android vs. Apple discussions were even ever this foul, juvenile, and rude.

Neither do I, at least now we know that all these Android fanboys are hypocrites.....