Gorilla glass question

thecure13

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I am a new member of this community. I recently got a galaxy s4 about 3 weeks after release. I switch from iPhone and oh maaan am I glad I did!!! Now for my question. So I read that the galaxy s4 has the new gorilla glass 3 and what not. My question was I thought gorilla glass would be hard to scratch? I've never dropped my phone and I can see little scratches on the screen already!! The reason I didn't put a screen protector was because I thought gorilla glass would stay scratch free for a while if I never dropped it and took care of it etc. I see that was not the case and now I am really regretting it :(.

Ps. My friend has a phone that has gorilla glass 2 and hes had it for a While now and I recently looked at his screen and it's scratch free!!

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I am a new member of this community. I recently got a galaxy s4 about 3 weeks after release. I switch from iPhone and oh maaan am I glad I did!!! Now for my question. So I read that the galaxy s4 has the new gorilla glass 3 and what not. My question was I thought gorilla glass would be hard to scratch? I've never dropped my phone and I can see little scratches on the screen already!! The reason I didn't put a screen protector was because I thought gorilla glass would stay scratch free for a while if I never dropped it and took care of it etc. I see that was not the case and now I am really regretting it :(.

Ps. My friend has a phone that has gorilla glass 2 and hes had it for a While now and I recently looked at his screen and it's scratch free!!

Welcome to the Android family! I put a screen protector because yes it can scratch n I get rough with my phones at times, throw it in my purse, with my keys in there and sometimes a drunken night.. I never leave my phones naked either. At the end of the day it's glass, better safe than sorry. I got a 3 pack on amazon for $5. Free shipping. Well worth it!

stevenkarma

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 3 is pretty scratch resistant to most materials but not all. I read it has a moh rating (hardness rating) of around 8-9. It is scratch resistant to most things found in a pocket like keys or coins but it will scratch from harder rated objects like sand. Read up about the moh scale as I know very little about it.

I like the feel and look of a glass screen but wanted to protect it from any micro scratches, so I slapped on the Spigen GLAS.t. It is a very thin (.23mm) tempered glass screen protector with about the same hardness as Gorilla Glass 3. You can barely tell it's on, it feels exactly like the naked screen and most importantly I know my screen is protected.

Hope this helps!

thecure13

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I like the feel and look of a glass screen but wanted to protect it from any micro scratches, so I slapped on the Spigen GLAS.t.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this! I just ordered one today. Waiting for it now. I currently have a spigen case and it's an awesome case, I'm sure their screen protector will be the same!!

I will spit on your tomb!

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus and it doesn't have Gorilla Glass but another type, I'm sure it is not as good as Gorilla Glass 3 and without a screen protector. I have yet to get a scratch on it in a year and half I have had it. You think maybe you got some sand on it or in your pocket somehow?

Tapatalk mofo

thecure13

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not quite sure. I always put it in my pocket and never put keys, coins etc. in the same pocket I put my phone in. Its a mystery how it got scratched but oh well haha.

I will spit on your tomb!

dylanrod24

May 6, 2013
Visit site
New Motorola X phone is supposed to have new sapphire glass which companies have been experimenting with and is supposed to be way more durable than any gorilla glass.

Sent from my RAZR M

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
New Motorola X phone is supposed to have new sapphire glass which companies have been experimenting with and is supposed to be way more durable than any gorilla glass.

Sent from my RAZR M

I think it is made of Sapphire and not just something called Sapphire Glass. But I'm not sure the cost is low enough to use on a smartphone yet. Most watches use a Sapphire face, it will still scratch its just able to fix by buffing it out.

Tapatalk mofo

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's synthetic sapphire made in a lab (has the same properties as real sapphire). If it was real sapphire you wouldn't be able to afford the phone ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
It's synthetic sapphire made in a lab (has the same properties as real sapphire). If it was real sapphire you wouldn't be able to afford the phone ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yes i know it is made in a lab, I would say 80% of Sapphires are made in a lab.

Tapatalk mofo

ciniob

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the s4. I put the screen protector on it because the ones in the verizon store were scratched up pretty bad.

Conversely, the s3's in the store looked much less scratched.

I traded in a older Razr Maxx and an s3. I had them covered most of their life.

They were scratch free even though I removed their protection several weeks ago.

The Note 2's in the store were also pretty clean.

My opinion is best to protect now do that to sell later is easier.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Android Central Forums

havoklab

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I got galaxy s4 and got screen protector same day as phone well 2 weeks after having it i dropped it and the sceen cracked what should i replace it with? And how do I get it? What is the best case also?

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
What would be the best case and or screen protector to get for the S4? that's available in the UK of course :) thinking for when i go back to uni and i'm commuting on the bus.