Galaxy S4 won't charge unless it's plugged into my computer.

xx760xx

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Recently, my S4 has been acting strange. When I plug it into the wall with the Samsung provided cable and plug, it doesn't charge. It doesn't charge with my car charger either, which I also got with my S4 from Verizon. It only charges when it's plugged into my computer.

Then there's another problem. My computer doesn't even recognize my phone as a device. It just charges it. I can't even transfer any of my data off my internal storage because of this. Odin can't even recognize it even though all the drivers for download mode are installed. It's just ridiculous.

If anyone has the same issue and a potential fix for this, please let me know. The computer doesn't charge quick and I can barely use my phone.

Ian18125

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
wow. same exact problem for me...

• phone says it's charging when plugged into outlets -- home, car, work -- but isn't actually charging
  • phone says it's charging and DOES charge through laptop
  • phone isn't recognized as a device, or acknowledged whatsoever, by the laptop
  • not sure if this is relevant at all but i'm using a USB 3.0 port to charge (+400mA/h over USB 2 from what i understand)

so strange. this is my first samsung phone so i'm going to talk to some friends who may know something about this and report back.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Really? Nobody can help me? Guess I'm out of a phone then.

Well obviously you have a pretty rare issue or you would have gotten several replies by now (only one so far). Did you search the issue with Google? I think j510 has a good starting point, a problem with the USB port. Why not try a battery pull and a factory reset?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this is a dumb question. But have any of you with this issue done a factory reset? It could be software related?
Are you running any customer ROMS, are you rooted,etc...
You can't expect an answer to an issue like this unless you provide AT LEAST all the info above.
It's very possible you are all running the same app and it had an update and caused this, possibly some kind of power management?
I know I had a crazy issue with my GPS and it was caused by my weather app. So it's VERY possible.

TXC1

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Very possible.

Not rooted, factory specs on the Bell network. Ive had the phone for 2 weeks. Just started doing this. I will factory reset now.

*EDIT - Factory reset did not fix the problem.

Last edited:

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Very possible.

Not rooted, factory specs on the Bell network. Ive had the phone for 2 weeks. Just started doing this. I will factory reset now.

*EDIT - Factory reset did not fix the problem.

I should have noted this before. When doing a factory restore, are you letting your phone do the back up of all your apps as well? aka auto downloading them? If so, and it IS an app, then it's pointless you have to prevent it from installing apps, see if a FRESH restore corrects it. If it does, install one app at a time until you see which one causes the issue

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Does this have anything to do with the USB debugging settings in the developer options?

If he did a factory restore, developer options wouldn't be available, unless he went in and tapped Build 7 times to activate then went in and choose USB Debugging, guess it's possible but doubt it

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have been having this exact same problem for a couple of months. When plugged into any cable that isn't connected to my computer, and I have tried several as my family has several phones, it doesn't do anything. Doesn't show it's charging but isn't like some mentioned. I have also noticed if I have my mobile data on, my battery discharges more quickly than it used to before this charging problem began. I have had my phone for over a year, it was fine for the first 9 months or so.

christa1971

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here...only a month of having the phone

FYI - just tried hard reset without any app restore. Same issue. What's even more strange, my partner has the same phone. We've tried switching batteries. Hers will work in the wall, mine will not with the same battery. We've use the same cable. Hers will charge in the wall and mine will not with the same cable. Anyway, still not charging from wall...and still not recognizing on pc. Will only charge on PC

Last edited:

MagicMike Kelley

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
This definitely sounds like a hardware issue if you've tried a different cable. For anyone having the phone that short amount of time I think it's wise at this point to contact your carrier and have them send you a new unit.

mrj77

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Had the same issue and found the solutions which worked for me. Go into the developer mode and deactivate the usb debug mode. Worked straight away...

lortay78

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Weird,
Toggling debugging fixed mine as well, but I always have debugging on all my phones and this is the first time it's ever been a problem. I am running a custom rom and it seems the problem occurred when I turned on tablet (dual pane) mode. I turned off debugging and turned it back on and it seems to charge fine from all chargers now. :)

Jamie Deitchman

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I found a possible solution:
I have been having the same issue everyone here has, S4 not charging with charger, (but phone says it's charging) tried two different cables, and three different chargers all with the same result. (Those chargers and cables all work with my Kindles)
The debugging mode toggle did nothing, and plugging into my pc instead of a charger did nothing. Than I remembered the last time my phone charged was when I was at work, using my old charger that came with my Motorola Droid 2. I plugged into that charger with cable, and success! I then swapped the cable into another charger, and I am still charging. The cable seems to be seated into the USB port a little more securely than the cable that came with my Samasung. Eyeballing it, the cable that works over the one that doesn't seems to have a slightly smaller opening where the pins connect. It certainly feels more snug, and wobbles less when you try to wiggle the cable while plugged into the phone.

Maybe you guys can ask a friend with a Motorola OEM charger and see if you get anywhere. If you do, I just saw an OEM charger with cable on eBay for $6.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: I have since done a bit of research, and it seems there are two different types of USB Micro cables, A and B. I have identified a "B clearly printed on the cable that works. Just in case it helps shed some light on the subject.

C2G - USB Connector Guide | Learn About USB Style Electronic Connectors

Last edited:

isimova

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem - so nice to read that I am not alone.... Will try out the suggestions posted below - thanks for starting the thread !