Polaris 5 connecting to Google Drive on Galaxy S4

lucas00420

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am a recent android convert. I have been playing with my new galaxy S4 and love it so far. One thing that is getting on my nerves though is that I cannot get Polaris to recognize my google drive. I have both apps installed. I can access google drive fine and from there access a doc that will open in Polaris. I can also save an attachment from gmail directly to my phone and/or open it in Polaris. But, for the life of me I have not been able to send a document that is attached to a gmail email to my google drive. I can save it directly to my phone or open it in polaris, but I cannot make Polaris save it to my google drive. In fact, I cannot access my google drive from polaris. It will not allow me to browse my drive at all. I have played with the settings in Polaris and have not found any option for connecting to a google account or cloud. At this point I am stuck opening my laptop and transferring attachments to my drive that way. Has anyone had similar problems?

Also, I don't know if this is related, but I cannot upload documents saved on my phone to google drive through the drive app. I try to click on add and then uploads, but I cannot access the file system.

Sorry for the noob questions. I tried searching but have found nothing that yelps yet.

Thanks. Android rocks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have 2-step authentication set up for your Google account? That kind of enhanced security can make it trickier for 3rd party apps to access your Google Drive.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, I don't know if this is related, but I cannot upload documents saved on my phone to google drive through the drive app. I try to click on add and then uploads, but I cannot access the file system.

How exactly are you trying to upload your documents on your phone to Drive? Are you doing it from within the Drive app, or from a file manager? Here are 2 ways to upload files:

1. From within the Drive app, tap the "+" button, select "Upload," then select whatever file manager app you have on your phone. You can then navigate to the file you want to upload and select it.

2. You can also upload by simply using your file manager to find the file you want to upload, then select it (usually by long-pressing), and choose the Share option. You should then see Drive as one of the options--selecting that should initiate an upload to Drive.

lucas00420

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy. Thanks for the help. I am not using 2-step authentication. Fortunately I have had some success. With an open file in Polaris I can click on the file representative icon in the upper left corner and click send as email then click google drive in the popup box. It uploads it to my google drive, but when I try to access it from my google drive it looks somewhat like an empty email with a short string of garbled text. Strange because it reports the size of the file as well over 1MB. I have seen that people have had issues saving/editing Polaris docs to google drive. Do these apps just not get along?

Ahh, thanks for the file manager tip. When clicking to upload a doc within the google drive app there was no file manager icon to click on. I haven't installed a 3rd party app for that. I guess I figured it would come built into the phone. I'll install one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't remember completely, but I think the Polaris that came with my Asus Transformer TF300 also doesn't play nice with Google Drive. Maybe it's just a Polaris thing.

I don't have an S4, but it surprises me a little that there isn't a stock file manager app. Of course, there are plenty of good 3rd party file managers like Astro File Manager or ES File Explorer.

tripster23

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I completely understand what your saying lucas00420. I have the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S4 and Polaris Office 5. I think that Polaris just hasn't been built yet to access 3rd party applications, like Dropbox and Google Drive, at this point. Opening vice versa (from Dropbox or Google Drive) is fine, but from within Polaris 5, the developers would have to build in that option. Maybe in a future release :-(

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana