06-17-2013 06:04 PM
51 123
tools
    Hi, Tohio. Since I have happily not lost my phone and not tried Lookout's lock feature; and (b) am not entirely sure what the new Kill Switch idea entails, I'm not sure I can say for certain. If as indicated the deactivation planned by Samsung goes further than a lockout, then you are right, I think. Lookout does give you the option to lock the phone, but a password unlocks it. However, more importantly, it gives you the option to wipe all data from the phone and the card remotely. That impressed me right there.
    I agree, wiping data form the phone is the first priority. But I think the Prosecutor and Samsung envision making the phone basically worthless once it is stolen. In other words why steal a phone that can not be used. Sort of like stealing a car stereo that has the face plate removed. I think that is the best way to stem the theft of smart phones is to turn them into bricks once they are stolen. Passwords and IDs are a much weaker system. Here's hoping your (and my) phone never get stolen.
    monsieurms likes this.
    06-17-2013 09:40 AM
    Again, you don't know the system apple is using. You would need the apple ID and the password. Just the apple ID wouldn't do it.
    OK so the lady has her Apple ID and her password written down somewhere in her purse. Still the same problem. It is still a functioning phone once those two items are entered. You seriously can't think the Apple system is better than a complete deactivation by the manufacturer upon theft of the phone. If you do take it up with the Prosecutor not me.
    06-17-2013 09:43 AM
    OK so the lady has her Apple ID and her password written down somewhere in her purse. Still the same problem. It is still a functioning phone once those two items are entered. You seriously can't think the Apple system is better than a complete deactivation by the manufacturer upon theft of the phone. If you do take it up with the Prosecutor not me.
    The article states that the owner has control also. I think that we need to see these features first before we judge. Knowing how these two are, they will copy each other anyways.
    06-17-2013 12:44 PM
    I don't have much to add here other than we will need to wait and see but I don't personally think that requiring the original iTunes (or Google account for that matter ) is sufficient to unlock a device wiped and reported as stolen because such things are hacked all the time. You should have to contact ape or Samsung directly (possibly via the carrier) and use multiple forms of authentication to regain access to the device.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    tohio likes this.
    06-17-2013 01:36 PM
    I don't have much to add here other than we will need to wait and see but I don't personally think that requiring the original iTunes (or Google account for that matter ) is sufficient to unlock a device wiped and reported as stolen because such things are hacked all the time. You should have to contact ape or Samsung directly (possibly via the carrier) and use multiple forms of authentication to regain access to the device.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    Absolutely correct.
    06-17-2013 01:48 PM
    Now you're just reaching. Admit you were wrong and didn't know anything about how apples system worked.
    06-17-2013 02:44 PM
    I think the idea that a manufacturer or carrier can lock my phone is idiotic. Whos to say they wont throw in a clause that if you change phones the device will be disabled until a reactivation/unlock fee is paid. I did not lease my phone; I purchased it. It is bad enough that the companies willing give my information out. I dont want my phone deactivated because I think differently or convey a viewpoint that someone might overreact to.

... Your Mummy is a Zombie.
    06-17-2013 03:27 PM
    Now you're just reaching. Admit you were wrong and didn't know anything about how apples system worked.
    Go start a fight with someone else please.
    06-17-2013 03:32 PM
    I think the idea that a manufacturer or carrier can lock my phone is idiotic. Whos to say they wont throw in a clause that if you change phones the device will be disabled until a reactivation/unlock fee is paid. I did not lease my phone; I purchased it. It is bad enough that the companies willing give my information out. I dont want my phone deactivated because I think differently or convey a viewpoint that someone might overreact to.

What we are discussing is that if you the owner report the phone as stolen. Its just an extension of what they can do now with IMEI blacklisting except now the device can not even be powered on effectively making it a brick and if this was standard practice there would be little incentive to steal phones because they would be worthless very shortly.
    06-17-2013 04:13 PM
    I see this kind of thing all the time. People dont know their user and passwords but have them written down in their wallets.
    06-17-2013 04:16 PM
    What we are discussing is that if you the owner report the phone as stolen. Its just an extension of what they can do now with IMEI blacklisting except now the device can not even be powered on effectively making it a brick and if this was standard practice there would be little incentive to steal phones because they would be worthless very shortly.
    A better solution is to be aware of your surroundings, font leave your stuff lying around, and be descrete with your device. If is unknown you have it then it is less likely yo be stolen.

06-17-2013 04:26 PM
    A better solution is to be aware of your surroundings, font leave your stuff lying around, and be descrete with your device. If is unknown you have it then it is less likely yo be stolen.

06-17-2013 04:27 PM
    Go start a fight with someone else please.
    I'm not starting a fight. You started a thread about Samsung providing something apple supposedly wasn't, and you didn't know a single thing about apples implementation.
    frekiluv likes this.
    06-17-2013 04:53 PM
    A moderator should never have to explain themselves. As a mod on a reef forum I know how you feel. Thank you for your hard work keeping the site running. You all do a great job.
    Everyone given authority should have to explain themselves when asked a legitament question; if people do not know the issues then they cant make an informed decision on what is acceptable behavior and what is not. That is why PMs are allowed so an explanation is available without everyone else chiming in with their misinformed opinions. If you, as a Moderator, thinks your opinion is superior to others and the end all solution then you are nothing but a despot and/or a Network Administrator.

06-17-2013 05:13 PM
    Everyone given authority should have to explain themselves when asked a legitament question; if people do not know the issues then they cant make an informed decision on what is acceptable behavior and what is not. That is why PMs are allowed so an explanation is available without everyone else chiming in with their misinformed opinions. If you, as a Moderator, thinks your opinion is superior to others and the end all solution then you are nothing but a despot and/or a Network Administrator.

That's why, please note, I said I should not have to publically explain myself, but will do so through a PM. That being said, lets get the whole moderating discussion off of the board. I am just as quilty of pursing this conversation as any of you, but it's time we just continue on with the discussion of the killswitch.

Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2
    06-17-2013 05:22 PM

Are you pulling that idea from Microsoft new implementation of used games with the xbox one. it's lame and won't sell, not to start another war but that's the truth.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    06-17-2013 05:23 PM
    Kill is such a violent word. I would prefer a "I dont love you" switch.

06-17-2013 05:26 PM
    Hey why was my earlier post inappropriate?

06-17-2013 05:27 PM
    Are you pulling that idea from Microsoft new implementation of used games with the xbox one. it's lame and won't sell, not to start another war but that's the truth.

No offense taken. I dislike many of Microsoft practices and many of the users that whine about the Start Menu too. Furthermore, console games are so weak especially for the price.

06-17-2013 05:29 PM
    Hey why was my earlier post inappropriate?

Push the PM button

06-17-2013 05:30 PM
    Glad to see the are doing something to deter theft... Very uncool for people to take such an expensive device from someone who worked to pay for it.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    06-17-2013 05:35 PM
    Also, the carriers need to do more. It should not be left to manufacturers to have to fill this hole, when the carriers bear an equal responsibility.
    06-17-2013 05:46 PM
    No offense taken. I dislike many of Microsoft practices and many of the users that whine about the Start Menu too. Furthermore, console games are so weak especially for the price.

Same here, I've only kept my 360 because of the money I've sunk into it. I switched my pc to linux mint about 6 months back and have had no regrets.

I think people need to realize that there are more than just apple and Microsoft products out there.

06-17-2013 05:58 PM
    Also, the carriers need to do more. It should not be left to manufacturers to have to fill this hole, when the carriers bear an equal responsibility.
    I could see them incorporating it as a theft feature. You know? The phone gets stolen, you call it in, and it gets remotely wiped and locked.

06-17-2013 05:59 PM
    Removing the opppurtunity for the theft is more effective that actually trying to prevent it.

Aquila likes this.
    06-17-2013 06:01 PM
51 123