Google Edition Style "Jelly Bean 4.2" Launcher for Galaxy S4?

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I want it to look exactly like the Google Edition, so what are the exact settings I need, if someone could provide the information? Also, when I scroll through apps, I don't want it to flip through the widgets too, I just want to go through the apps, like I can in TouchWiz.

Also, if I root, will I be able to get a more exact version of stock without draining my battery? That's my biggest fear I think, that I will root and my battery life will go to crap.

Since we don't have anyone here that has the device, I don't think exact settings are possible.

As far as rooting goes, in a nutshell, all you're doing is making yourself the administrator on your device. Nothing bad results when you root your device. Only applying certain tweaks and such can ruin your Android experience.

Tapatalked from my Nexus 10

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I mean the settings I would have to adjust in Nova so that it looks comparable. And in regards to rooting, if I install CyanogenMod and then a Google Edition Launcher through that (including the boot screen, assuming that's possible), will it degrade my battery usage?

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Oh! Well, we can only guess, as we don't have the devices yet! Haha.

And that strictly depends on your device. Some people experience great battery life, while some don't. Again, it depends on your device!

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google Edition Style "Jelly Bean 4.2" Launcher for Galaxy S4?

I tried to recreate it on my s4. I only used Nova Launcher Prime, Jelly Bean Clock Widget and the sun beam live wallpaper.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500

What settings do you have?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! Well, we can only guess, as we don't have the devices yet! Haha.

And that strictly depends on your device. Some people experience great battery life, while some don't. Again, it depends on your device!

Thank you, and you're right, perhaps I should just leave well enough alone :p

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I DO want to freeze and get rid of bloatware. If you could direct me to a list of software that's safe to remove or freeze. I'd root just for Titanium backup, and if there was an easy way to unroot.

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I DO want to freeze and get rid of bloatware. If you could direct me to a list of software that's safe to remove or freeze. I'd root just for Titanium backup, and if there was an easy way to unroot.

Here's the link for root: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=RtZkMonDdMtS4I7J2Uf4eQ&bvm=bv.48572450,d.cGE

Aaaaaand here's the link on how to unroot: How to Unroot Android: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Keep in mind that once you unroot, you will not be able to use Titanium Backup to its fullest potential.

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Here's the link for root: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=RtZkMonDdMtS4I7J2Uf4eQ&bvm=bv.48572450,d.cGE

Aaaaaand here's the link on how to unroot: How to Unroot Android: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Keep in mind that once you unroot, you will not be able to use Titanium Backup to its fullest potential.

Just in case I ever have to send the phone back ;) I wouldn't unroot otherwise :p

And sorry to keep asking you things, but you're so damn helpful! Is there a Rom out for the Google Edition Galaxy S4? I know there is one fro the Google Edition HTC One, as seen in this link.

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Haha you'll need the app Triangle Away to reset your flash counter as well, if you plan on sending it back!

It's completely fine Joe! It's what I love doing! Helping people by sharing my Android knowledge is how I give back to the community!

Currently, there is no Google Edition phone rom out, as they have not released the phones for public.. err.. Developer tinkering yet! I'd say it'll be a couple of weeks before you see one!

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Again, no problem at all! I've had humble beginnings as well (Owned a Motorola Cliq XT running Cupcake for about a year back in 2007, before I stumbled onto rooting and custom Roms and such)

As of right now I'd say you should definitely check out Cyanogenmod, or Paranoid Android for your custom Rom needs!

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
No you do not! If you refer to the link I posted, the one click tool will do everything for you!

Here's how I went about rooting my S4; Rooted it using the One click tool, downloaded a custom recovery for the device (see here: http://galaxys4root.com/clockworkmodtwrp-recoveries/), and backed up my data so I had a full back if I did something to my device, and I needed to reset it to how I had before.

I then used Titanium Backup (You can also use My Backup Pro) to back up all of my applications! (I would keep an .apk of Titanium on your SD card just in case. Just download a file manager after you install the ROM of your choosing, and you can easly reinstall and restore your applications)

If you want, export your contacts to your SD card. I did it, and it made restoring my contacts a lot easier then going the Google route.

Above all, STAY CALM. Go into doing this as confident as possible. From what it sounds, I say you have done your reading on this, and are equipped to dive into the wonderful world of custom ROMs!

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Does it matter that I'm on Rogers with a Canadian Galaxy S4? Can I still do the one click? And I forget if you said this already, but how do I get TouchWiz back if I want it after I put on Slimbean for instance

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
It should work just fine Joe. I don't think it is carrier specific.

To regain TouchWiz, you would have to do something called 'reverting from a backup'. What this means, is that you would restore the factory image you had backed up, before you flashed a new ROM to your phone.

Most times, people flash different ROMs in Samsung phones, to get away from TouchWiz, and experience a 'carrier free' , home launcher, and phone experience.

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, I like some of the Samsung stuff, like their camera and all the modes within it, so just in case I want to revert back, it's good to know that I will be able to. Also, how would I go about updating apps and firmware? Do I have to do anything special in terms of updating?

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, I like some of the Samsung stuff, like their camera and all the modes within it, so just in case I want to revert back, it's good to know that I will be able to. Also, how would I go about updating apps and firmware? Do I have to do anything special in terms of updating?

I totally understand!

To update a custom ROM, you would simply flash the desired, updated ROM, over your previous. You would just backup the apps, contacts, etc..

Application updating, is the exact same, as if you were on stock android. Just through the Google Play store!