How to upload photos from galaxy s4 into iPhoto on my iMac?

anon6136263

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I have downloaded Google Android Transfer. I plug in my phone and move the images from DCIM folder to iPhoto via drag and drop. It's a PITA and I've resorted to making an Automator to watch my Camera Uploads folder in Dropbox and auto-import into iPhoto.

I'm finding I'm having to do too many work arounds for the simplest stuff on my S4.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Your options are

I use AirDroid to download all the photos from my phone. You can choose select all. It will transfer them into a zip file. Unzip it and drag the folder into iPhoto.
Your other option is to use an online storage service like dropbox and make an automator script to look for any jpg files and transfer them over to your iPhoto folder.

louee6

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Download Airdroid to your Galaxy 4 and head on over to Airdroid.com on your mac. Super user friendly and quite exceptional!!

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Or, cut the cables out of the equation. Upload the files to google plus or google drive, then download them to your mac

Posted via Android Central App

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have downloaded Google Android Transfer. I plug in my phone and move the images from DCIM folder to iPhoto via drag and drop. It's a PITA and I've resorted to making an Automator to watch my Camera Uploads folder in Dropbox and auto-import into iPhoto.

I'm finding I'm having to do too many work arounds for the simplest stuff on my S4.

Wow, really? Did you notice the photos on your PHONE transfered to iPhoto?

- - - Updated - - -

My frustration with Android too.

Honestly my wife has the HTC One and it is no better/different with Mac support. This is an oem issue and if you want the best Mac support it is going to come in the form of the iPhone.

420benz

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Download Airdroid to your Galaxy 4 and head on over to Airdroid.com on your mac. Super user friendly and quite exceptional!!

OK I have Airdroid on my desktop now what. Please be specific. The last time I plugged my phone into my Mac all of the photos in iPhoto uploaded inTo my phone.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Or, cut the cables out of the equation. Upload the files to google plus or google drive, then download them to your mac

Posted via Android Central App

This is what I do right now. I drag them on my desktop and then iPhoto finds them and uploads them. I get what he means though. You connect an iPhone and iPhoto automatically pulls and syncs up. Quite easy and convenient.

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just figured this out yesterday! I don't know about any of the other options, but this was the easiest for me. May not be the right one for you if you're not a fan of the cloud, but I like it.

First, set up Dropbox on your phone if you haven't yet. Dropbox started an offer where they provided 50GB of free storage for Galaxy S3/S4 owners. In your settings, turn on Auto Upload so that every photo you take will be uploaded to Dropbox. Although I have unlimited data, I chose to do this on Wi-Fi only because data is not always reliable. I wish they had a Charge-only option so Dropbox would only upload photos if the phone was being charged, but hopefully they will add this in the future. Either way, Dropbox pauses camera uploads if your phone has low battery.

Then, set up Dropbox on your Mac by downloading the Mac version. I would go in Finder and add the Dropbox folder to your sidebar just so it'll always be there and/or check the option to ensure it stays at the top of your screen so you can readily access it.

Next, open Automator in your Applications. Select Folder Action, choose the "Camera Uploads" folder in your Dropbox folder as the folder to access files in. Then search iPhoto and select the import into iPhoto option. You can select the 'remove from source' option once you do this to remove photos from Dropbox once they're uploaded (especially helpful if for some reason, you didn't qualify for the 50gb option and you have much less storage). Save this as something familiar. You can 'record' and 'run' the option to test it out but I am not well-versed in either of those functions.

Once you do that, test it out. Take a photo on your phone, watch Dropbox upload it, and watch your Mac receive the file from Dropbox and add it to iPhoto. In fact, iPhoto will open when a new file is uploaded to show you.

If you already have a Dropbox account and you already have files in your Camera Uploads folder, don't sweat it. Import those manually into iPhoto if you'd like and they'll be there. You'll have to organize them (I had thousands in the folder before figuring this out so it will be tedious), but better than nothing right?

I figured this out and finally set up Time Machine (two years after I got my Mac) this weekend so paired with a weekly or monthly external hard drive attachment all of your photos will be backed up and safe in the event your phone breaks. I would also recommend you save photos to your micro SD in the event that you lose phone data before a weekly/monthly back up (the SD card is not perfect - but it's safer than only using your phone's flash memory).

Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

fanaticalism

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Just figured this out yesterday! I don't know about any of the other options, but this was the easiest for me. May not be the right one for you if you're not a fan of the cloud, but I like it.

First, set up Dropbox on your phone if you haven't yet. Dropbox started an offer where they provided 50GB of free storage for Galaxy S3/S4 owners. In your settings, turn on Auto Upload so that every photo you take will be uploaded to Dropbox. Although I have unlimited data, I chose to do this on Wi-Fi only because data is not always reliable. I wish they had a Charge-only option so Dropbox would only upload photos if the phone was being charged, but hopefully they will add this in the future. Either way, Dropbox pauses camera uploads if your phone has low battery.

Then, set up Dropbox on your Mac by downloading the Mac version. I would go in Finder and add the Dropbox folder to your sidebar just so it'll always be there and/or check the option to ensure it stays at the top of your screen so you can readily access it.

Next, open Automator in your Applications. Select Folder Action, choose the "Camera Uploads" folder in your Dropbox folder as the folder to access files in. Then search iPhoto and select the import into iPhoto option. You can select the 'remove from source' option once you do this to remove photos from Dropbox once they're uploaded (especially helpful if for some reason, you didn't qualify for the 50gb option and you have much less storage). Save this as something familiar. You can 'record' and 'run' the option to test it out but I am not well-versed in either of those functions.

Once you do that, test it out. Take a photo on your phone, watch Dropbox upload it, and watch your Mac receive the file from Dropbox and add it to iPhoto. In fact, iPhoto will open when a new file is uploaded to show you.

If you already have a Dropbox account and you already have files in your Camera Uploads folder, don't sweat it. Import those manually into iPhoto if you'd like and they'll be there. You'll have to organize them (I had thousands in the folder before figuring this out so it will be tedious), but better than nothing right?

I figured this out and finally set up Time Machine (two years after I got my Mac) this weekend so paired with a weekly or monthly external hard drive attachment all of your photos will be backed up and safe in the event your phone breaks. I would also recommend you save photos to your micro SD in the event that you lose phone data before a weekly/monthly back up (the SD card is not perfect - but it's safer than only using your phone's flash memory).

Good luck!

This is what I did when I got my S4. Works great!

scottdk

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried this and it works great with my Samung Note 2. Could this be set up with Google drive?

I also have success with the Galaxy Note 2 (notably, without using KIES). Just set the Note 2 to Connect as Camera (PTP).

However, remus10, did you find it transfers every image on your phone, (album art, etc) rather than just what is contained in the DCIM folder?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
If by "simplest stuff" you mean "integrating with an ecosystem specifically designed to only work with specific hardware," then you're probably right. It's not always going to be super easy to integrate with Apple stuff, but Apple designed their stuff to be difficult to integrate with. I'm not sure you're placing the blame in the right place.

Either way, iSyncr will automatically upload photos to a specific folder on your computer over WiFi:

Using iSyncr WiFi

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

Good luck!

I use this also and works like a charm!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app