Best buy messed up my Samsung S4

fanaticalism

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Using geek squad service to install the screen protector shouldn't be an issue. They should be liable for any damage during service, unless their is a written disclaimer stating otherwise. IMO the issue is with leadership handling the issue.

+1

If they installed it, they should take care of it. The issue in this case isn't BestBuy/GS, it's the ***** making the call to not replace the phone. This is typically due to basically having no idea how to handle this type of issue, which IMO is basically just take care of the customer.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It sounds to me like the liquid from the screen protector seeped into your phone somehow, through the front. The water damage indicators are in the back of the device nowhere near the screen. Really they should have been held liable, had you gone to a smaller store, that isn't a corporation you may have seen better results. You would think these people would have at least some ethics and morals.

This makes me feel even worse about wanting to join gs after I get my degree. And really whoever applied it should either pay to have it replaced or be fired.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's a summary of what happened
On 7/14th I took my samsung S4 to best buy to buy a zagg cover to protect the Gorilla glass 3.

* I bought a Zagg HD cover, and had Best Buy's "Geek Squad" apply the cover for me.
* They took the Samsung S4 using the S view flip cover and removed the Flip cover, exposing the back to the phone and proceeded to install the case at the back of their "Geek Squad counter". I could not see what I did.
* When I received the phone back I powered it on, and inspected it briefly. Seemed okay.
* When I arrived at phone I noticed there was a very large (1/4 of the screen) bubble, as well as smaller bubbles around the phone.
* I took it back to best buy, and they reapplied the cover. This time however they did not remove the case.
* When they handed me the phone the screen was wet, and the back was also considerably wet.
* I turned the phone on and immediate saw the screen flickering. I was told if I had to use the phone to use a light touch for the next 3 hours and if any bubbles or issues were present to bring it back.
* I decided to turn the phone off figuring it was probably the screen cover or touchwiz messing up.
* After 3 hours I proceeded to turn the phone on: No screen. Nothing. It would power up, you could see the soft touch buttons light up and hear sound but no screen.
* I called best buy to file the issue, they told me there was nothing I could do but if I wanted I could come in person and they'd see the issue in person.
* I showed up at best buy and what proceeded was: lying from the manager and staff (claiming there was no way to damage a phone from a zagg cover Install and that the solution they use could not cause damage but refused to state that the solution they use was non conductive.
* Manager proceeded to Pull the battery from the phone and showed me a Pink strip claiming there had been NO water damage. So there was nothing I could do. I took his word for it that there was no water damage but explained Best buy was still responsible for having damaged my phone. If Samsung said there was water damage, I would be coming back to best buy this time with intentions to seek alternate options to reach a resolution.
* Lied about providing legal representation (Best buy customer service), and dealings with courts. They said they had a Public defendant (later I researched and found it was a customer service branch). I asked the person on the phone if this Public Defendant was a legal representative, he said yes. I also asked if he was a best buy employee, he said no. Also that this legal representative would be the phone to deal in between Best buy and me, in an effort to keep this out of court.
* Manager proceeded to shift responsibility and encouraged fraud by telling me to go to the Samsung rep inside their best buy and tell them it's a defective screen.
The Samsung rep checked the battery and saw it had a pink strip and immediately said there was water damage. he excused him self, and came back a few minutes later telling me he just opened 3 new phones in box, all had white strips with a red dot. Also he spoke with the manager from best buy and the manager told him they'd do nothing.

I am out of warranty, out of a working phone, and best buy staff refused to do anything.

I have since called Corporate offices. They immediately listened and have been handling the case well so far. I was told they'd send in a request for an exchange of the device. However they have not called me on the allotted time they gave me (24-48 hours). When i called in I was told they were still waiting for approval. I explained urgency since I am out of a working phone, and out of warranty with the device since it has incurred water damage.

This has seriously been a terrible experience. Luckily I have been keeping tabs on names and statements in the event I have to take this to Small Claims which means I would need to buy a 2nd phone (will be placed in lawsuit as damages incurred).

* Best buy has damaged my $700 device.
* Best buy staff lied regarding Zagg shield installations, and liquid damage risks. Also lied regarding consumer rights and laws, and liability of a company performing a paid job for a device while under their care.
* Best buy staff encouraged directly the use of fraud to acquire an exchanged phone, also shifting their liability with the manufacturer WHO HAD NOTHING TO DO with spilling liquid on my device and ruining it.

Man I buy zagg shields from best buy but I go to a zagg location to have it put on and I have never had a problem because the zagg locations are trained to put them on. so they should not get damaged and I have had zagg put them on many devices.

Posted via Android Central App

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I would never allow Best Buy to touch anything I own. A part time employee that makes $10/hr and was trained last weekend hardly meets my standards for professionalism, knowledge, skill set and ability.

The fact remains, Best Buy applied a screen protector that requires liquid for installation, you left the store and it failed. You should have had the screen flicker noted and documented by management before you left the first time.

Hopefully you get it resolved.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy is really good until you have a problem, then they are nothing but trouble. I had originally upgraded to the ONE then swapped it 5 days in for the S4. Two days later(while still well within my 14 days) The GS4 home button was giving me issues. Not thinking it would be an issue I took it back to BB mobile and let them see what the problem was and requested a replacement device. They said they couldn't do that since it is only one exchange within the 14 day trial period. I told them that was for changing your mind/returning devices and not due to defects. They then told me I could contact Samsung for a replacement for a device I had only had for 2 days. Spoke to store manager who said there was nothing they could do. Had to hunt to get the district managers information who I then had to call over 10 times an hour to finally get a return call. I was met with even more resistance at first but eventually he called the store and authorized a replacement device.

You are definitely in the right in your situation. You will most likely have to do what I did and hound/harass them until they authorize a replacement device. It really is a shame that in our busy lives we have to spend all this time and sometimes get downright rude to get something resolved that was never our fault to begin with. Good luck and let us know what ends up happening.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
If they continue to not respond hire a friend who never showers, looks scruffy, is antisocial and have him stand in front of the Geek Squad counter and ask for your refund about once an hour. He could mutter things like "These guys ripped my friend off" and "They don't really know what they're doing" to anyone who might listen. The smellier and the scruffier the better.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
If they continue to not respond hire a friend who never showers, looks scruffy, is antisocial and have him stand in front of the Geek Squad counter and ask for your refund about once an hour. He could mutter things like "These guys ripped my friend off" and "They don't really know what they're doing" to anyone who might listen. The smellier and the scruffier the better.

That made me laugh. I could already imagine their faces.

Anyways right now I am trying to do this by the books: Give the company a try, if that fails I've been reading that going straight to Small claims is the next step to get a resolution, and also my right as a wronged consumer. However small claims court requires costs and a lot of time. I got my paperwork in order, and have made a list of estimated damages.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you have your ducks in a row there. If they are smart, and someone above the pay grade of the Geek Squad guys actually reviews your case they will settle up before going through the expense of small claims court. If they lose there they also pay your court costs. Good luck.

The smelly guy works well too.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's a summary of what happened
On 7/14th I took my samsung S4 to best buy to buy a zagg cover to protect the Gorilla glass 3.

* I bought a Zagg HD cover, and had Best Buy's "Geek Squad" apply the cover for me.
* They took the Samsung S4 using the S view flip cover and removed the Flip cover, exposing the back to the phone and proceeded to install the case at the back of their "Geek Squad counter". I could not see what I did.
* When I received the phone back I powered it on, and inspected it briefly. Seemed okay.
* When I arrived at phone I noticed there was a very large (1/4 of the screen) bubble, as well as smaller bubbles around the phone.
* I took it back to best buy, and they reapplied the cover. This time however they did not remove the case.
* When they handed me the phone the screen was wet, and the back was also considerably wet.
* I turned the phone on and immediate saw the screen flickering. I was told if I had to use the phone to use a light touch for the next 3 hours and if any bubbles or issues were present to bring it back.
* I decided to turn the phone off figuring it was probably the screen cover or touchwiz messing up.
* After 3 hours I proceeded to turn the phone on: No screen. Nothing. It would power up, you could see the soft touch buttons light up and hear sound but no screen.
* I called best buy to file the issue, they told me there was nothing I could do but if I wanted I could come in person and they'd see the issue in person.
* I showed up at best buy and what proceeded was: lying from the manager and staff (claiming there was no way to damage a phone from a zagg cover Install and that the solution they use could not cause damage but refused to state that the solution they use was non conductive.
* Manager proceeded to Pull the battery from the phone and showed me a Pink strip claiming there had been NO water damage. So there was nothing I could do. I took his word for it that there was no water damage but explained Best buy was still responsible for having damaged my phone. If Samsung said there was water damage, I would be coming back to best buy this time with intentions to seek alternate options to reach a resolution.
* Lied about providing legal representation (Best buy customer service), and dealings with courts. They said they had a Public defendant (later I researched and found it was a customer service branch). I asked the person on the phone if this Public Defendant was a legal representative, he said yes. I also asked if he was a best buy employee, he said no. Also that this legal representative would be the phone to deal in between Best buy and me, in an effort to keep this out of court.
* Manager proceeded to shift responsibility and encouraged fraud by telling me to go to the Samsung rep inside their best buy and tell them it's a defective screen.
The Samsung rep checked the battery and saw it had a pink strip and immediately said there was water damage. he excused him self, and came back a few minutes later telling me he just opened 3 new phones in box, all had white strips with a red dot. Also he spoke with the manager from best buy and the manager told him they'd do nothing.

I am out of warranty, out of a working phone, and best buy staff refused to do anything.

I have since called Corporate offices. They immediately listened and have been handling the case well so far. I was told they'd send in a request for an exchange of the device. However they have not called me on the allotted time they gave me (24-48 hours). When i called in I was told they were still waiting for approval. I explained urgency since I am out of a working phone, and out of warranty with the device since it has incurred water damage.

This has seriously been a terrible experience. Luckily I have been keeping tabs on names and statements in the event I have to take this to Small Claims which means I would need to buy a 2nd phone (will be placed in lawsuit as damages incurred).

* Best buy has damaged my $700 device.
* Best buy staff lied regarding Zagg shield installations, and liquid damage risks. Also lied regarding consumer rights and laws, and liability of a company performing a paid job for a device while under their care.
* Best buy staff encouraged directly the use of fraud to acquire an exchanged phone, also shifting their liability with the manufacturer WHO HAD NOTHING TO DO with spilling liquid on my device and ruining it.

File a small claim. The local court clerk should help you. Attach a copy of the receipt for your phone - or other legitimate proof of retail price (ad from best buy would be good). Keep your story and what you write in the small claim Petition, short and to the point. It doesn't matter what faulty legal advice they gave you - and frankly I have a hard time believing that anyone at Best Buy said anything about a "Public Defendant" or public defender (correct) because they are lawyers that handle criminal defense for poor people - not consumer protection issues. I wouldn't mention that in your claim. Keep to the point that they poured water on your phone and broke it.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
That made me laugh. I could already imagine their faces.

Anyways right now I am trying to do this by the books: Give the company a try, if that fails I've been reading that going straight to Small claims is the next step to get a resolution, and also my right as a wronged consumer. However small claims court requires costs and a lot of time. I got my paperwork in order, and have made a list of estimated damages.

Cost will be less than $100 no matter where you are and a couple of trips to the courthouse, maybe as much as 4 hours if the Court is really busy on your trial day. Not that you should have to do either one.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Alright I got in touch with best buy again, they are refusing the replace the phone stating that since I didn't buy it there they could not exchange it.
I would need to file an insurance claim with their insurance company now.

They ruin my device, pull my leg along for 5 days and now want ME to be the one to do their insurance work for them?

I filed a case with the BBB, my 2nd to last step. Gloves are off, enough leniency was given and enough chances to do right were given (chances which were inexpensive).
I am now asking for the cost of the phone as per Best Buy's price of $749.99+Tax, reimbursement of the Zagg shield cover $33~ + tax, and lastly a minimum of a $300 check or minimum $500 Best buy gift card for restitution. Failure to resolve the case to my satisfaction (demands) and I will go straight to court and media (bloggers, news, etc) in this case seeking maximum damages allowed by the law.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
They really screwed up. At the best buy I went to. I had them install my zagg. They did it right in front on me. Just sprayed the front of the phone a few times with the solution. Then when done dried up any fluid that. Was left. Wasn't even any bubbles. I still have it on today after a year. And it's still perfect

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Good luck dealing with best buy, as was said before, best buy is good until there is a problem. They are trained to just keep passing you around from department to department.

I think what will happen is since you left the store with the phone, they will say you got the phone wet after leaving the store.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

etechgeek24

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Man I buy zagg shields from best buy but I go to a zagg location to have it put on and I have never had a problem because the zagg locations are trained to put them on. so they should not get damaged and I have had zagg put them on many devices.

EDIT: I see you already filed with the BBB, nicely done ;)

I totally agree this is an issue, but Zagg protectors aren't hard to put on, I've put on several. For sure BestBuy can. The directions are on the SIDE OF THE BOX. But, since BB already messed up your phone, if BestBuy doesn't refund the Geek Squad install fee AND your phone, bring this to the Better Business Burearo (sp?) and tell them everything they said and did. They should help you, or give you people that will.

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Alright I got in touch with best buy again, they are refusing the replace the phone stating that since I didn't buy it there they could not exchange it.
I would need to file an insurance claim with their insurance company now.

They ruin my device, pull my leg along for 5 days and now want ME to be the one to do their insurance work for them?

I filed a case with the BBB, my 2nd to last step. Gloves are off, enough leniency was given and enough chances to do right were given (chances which were inexpensive).
I am now asking for the cost of the phone as per Best Buy's price of $749.99+Tax, reimbursement of the Zagg shield cover $33~ + tax, and lastly a minimum of a $300 check or minimum $500 Best buy gift card for restitution. Failure to resolve the case to my satisfaction (demands) and I will go straight to court and media (bloggers, news, etc) in this case seeking maximum damages allowed by the law.

Unfortunately, since you didn't purchase the device through them they're going through the legal process they have to go through. There isn't really a way around it. If you had purchased the device through them it would be different. The law is also on their side, as this is an insurance issue that must be handled in that manner. (No different than a car getting hit by a car in their parking lot, or a display falling on a customer)

Also, although I sympathize with your situation, your demand for money or a best buy gift card is over the top. Legally, best buy is only obligated to replace your device or cut you a check for the replacement cost. Anything beyond that is beyond what they are obligated to pay you.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
JHBThree is right, they have to file insurance - its what they pay their insurance claim for. Let's say if you rode of someone's car you wouldn't pay them before your insurance right, similarly they are doing the same.

In fairness it is frustrating but its something they have to do.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The fact that you didn't buy the phone from Best Buy is kind of an important (withheld) complicating factor that changes the picture somewhat from what was naturally implied by your original post (if you mentioned it in your op I missed it even after a second read). It doesn't change the fact that BB appears to be fully responsible for moisture induced damage to your phone, but it does help me better understand why BB didn't just replace your phone on the spot. Setting aside local management's poor handling/lack of integrity regarding the facts of what happened during the application of the zagg protector, as has been mentioned above, replacement of a third party, damaged (vice defective) provided phone probably requires them to go through a more complicated insurance claim process, rather than just writing off one of their sold phones. That being said, they should still be making it as painless and transparent as possible for the customer, who best buy often forgets, "is always right" especially in situations like this where the benefit of doubt should go to the customer.

FWIW - I only roll with screen protectors on non-gorilla glass devices. After all, that's why you are paying extra for it on premium devices. Haven't regretted that approach yet.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

CrossClown

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
WOOW I was going to have geek squad apply the Zagg cover for me but when I was in line I saw the person ahead of me get one installed by someone who looked like they had never done it before and one of the other geek squad employees looked at me and shook his head.lol I ended up doing it myself like I normally done and I can tell you, I did a 1283729353206 time better job than they did.lol When I apply Zagg screen protectors, I make sure I have paper towels within reach and around my phone, I also wear gloves just so that there are no fingerprints. I make sure the phone is either off or on standby and I proceed to spray the screen completely with the Zagg solution, then I spray the crap out of the screen protector (yes there will be alot of liquid when the squeegeeing begins hence the paper towels) and I apply it without pressing down with exception to the edge in order to move it around, and then I squeegee it while hold having the paper towels soak up the excess liquid and I let it dry without using the phone (using the phone after applying without waiting will create a melted look on the screen). I should add that I do clean the screen of the phone with windex and use compressed air to remove any particles prior to the install.

From what I saw at Geek Squad when I went, the screen protector had bubbles on the side and the person told the customer that it would go away after it dries which I called BS to. So yeah, definitely DEFINITELY get some higher ups on this.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
+1

If they installed it, they should take care of it. The issue in this case isn't BestBuy/GS, it's the ***** making the call to not replace the phone. This is typically due to basically having no idea how to handle this type of issue, which IMO is basically just take care of the customer.

It sounds to me like the liquid from the screen protector seeped into your phone somehow, through the front. The water damage indicators are in the back of the device nowhere near the screen. Really they should have been held liable, had you gone to a smaller store, that isn't a corporation you may have seen better results. You would think these people would have at least some ethics and morals.

This makes me feel even worse about wanting to join gs after I get my degree. And really whoever applied it should either pay to have it replaced or be fired.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

Unfortunately, since you didn't purchase the device through them they're going through the legal process they have to go through. There isn't really a way around it. If you had purchased the device through them it would be different. The law is also on their side, as this is an insurance issue that must be handled in that manner. (No different than a car getting hit by a car in their parking lot, or a display falling on a customer)

Also, although I sympathize with your situation, your demand for money or a best buy gift card is over the top. Legally, best buy is only obligated to replace your device or cut you a check for the replacement cost. Anything beyond that is beyond what they are obligated to pay you.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

That's how I feel about it too, however multiple chances were given and my patience is growing thin. Apparently the only way they will listen is with money at stake.

Just got off the phone with the adjuster claiming he needed to speak with staff because this was all suspicious. Of course employees will lie to save their own hides, so I don't think this is looking good.

Either way I have my paperwork in order.