S4 design explosion

Diorarat

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I used to have a GS3 as a staple phone for about a year. Comparing it then to last year's HTC One X on designs it was definitely outclassed when you see them both together. But the GS3 design is something that takes awhile to appreciate. Using it for a month, I started to appreciate its hyperglazed back with silver embosed Samsung Logo. It is definietly a beautiful phone. But after awhile there has been an explosion of Samsung Phones that look alike. Like all of you, I anticipated the GS4 right down to the launch. It was disappointing to actually see it look like the GS3 on the front but when you hold it, it actually looks great with its faux brushed aluminum side and new hyperglazed back.

But holding it, I cant really say it was an upgrade. By holding it, I can feel that it was like my old GS3. That is why I got the HTC One instead. The S4 certainly feels cheap not because its plastic, but the fact that Samsung released just about all other midrange and lowrange phones that look like the S4. It just totally blew the image of the Galaxy S series for me. I wish they'd kept that the design factor strictly in the Galaxy S Series to retain its premium feel. The design gives the middle half and lower half of the spectrum something to go for that looks like its popular S series but it sacrifices brand value of S line. That's my thought, I dont know if I am the only one feeling this way. Any thoughts guys?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think a lot of other people may be thinking the same. Personally, I don't mind subtle design changes/queues as long as the internal hardware is packing some serious heat. The S4 is a great overall improvement than the S3, and a lot of people would also agree.

When compared to the HTC One, yes, it doesn't look as solidly built and doesn't have that premium form factor. That's OK - after-all, a lot of people, including myself, install a protective case almost immediately.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
What's even worse is how shamelessly LG copies Samsung's designs. So not only is Samsung rehashing their own designs but they basically have a copycat OEM in LG.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

Diorarat

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of other people may be thinking the same. Personally, I don't mind subtle design changes/queues as long as the internal hardware is packing some serious heat. The S4 is a great overall improvement than the S3, and a lot of people would also agree.

When compared to the HTC One, yes, it doesn't look as solidly built and doesn't have that premium form factor. That's OK - after-all, a lot of people, including myself, install a protective case almost immediately.

I don't mind subtle changes. Even the iphone's face hasn't change for a while now. But it does bother me that all other of Samsung's midrange phones look like an s4. It just ruins the brand image of the S series. Right now the galaxy series is still enjoying the fantastic momentum of the GS3 but this would certainly affect consumer perception in the future. I mean that if samsung keeps on making mid range phone that looks like it's flagships, people would begin to have a perception that the S series is just another midrange phone instead of the other way around.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
When I first saw the s4 in the store, I immediately loved the design, even as it sat there next to the One. I loved the 5 inch screen and how the screen goes nearly edge to edge. That being said, put a nice case on it like seidio active (my current) or an element case and all of your worries about the back are a non issue.

Posted via Android Central App

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
When I first saw the s4 in the store, I immediately loved the design, even as it sat there next to the One. I loved the 5 inch screen and how the screen goes nearly edge to edge. That being said, put a nice case on it like seidio active (my current) or an element case and all of your worries about the back are a non issue.

Posted via Android Central App

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Love my S4. Put an Element Atom case on it and it feels like a Rolls-Royce!! I had an Ip4, went to the S3 because Apple was not innovating in the smartphone area, jumped back to the Ip5 because it was an improvement, but again, I wasn't going to wait 14 months for a bigger screen, and I went with the S4. Apple is spinning its wheels in the smartphone area. Not interested in the Iphone 5S and the Iphone 5C.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind modest updates from the GS3 to GS4 its really about what goes into their features that matters more. I mean apple gets away with keeping the identical design for two years at a pop and their users defend the design, yet its ugly, outdated and cramped compared to the Android offerings. 4" screens are for 2010 design, oh wait apple was using a 3.5" screen back then claiming it was optimal until they said 4" was optimal and next year they will claim their next size is optimal like Jobs claimed 7" tablets were DOA until they clearly cut into apple's tablet sales.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87