Email app subfolders showing total # of messages instead of # of unread messages - bug?

MAK85

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 and have synced my work's exchange email account with the stock Email app on my device. In Microsoft Outlook I have rules set up to push messages to various sub-folders accordingly.

The sub-folders show the total # of email messages (in brackets) within that folder, rather than the number of unread messages. The Sent folder behaves the same way The Inbox folder however seems to behave fine, displaying the # of unread messages, which is how Outlook and probably any other email application behaves/should behave. I of course would like to see in brackets the number of unread messages, as this will prompt me to open the sub-folder.

Anyone else experiencing this or have a recommendation to remedy? If not, any recommendations for an email application to sync up my Exchange account? I have heard Touchdown HD is good, but it is $19.99. I'd be willing to pay for it if it is indeed the best. Any other ideas?

(Two side note questions.... 1) what is the Combined Inbox folder in this Email app? 2) On the app icon, it displays # of unread Inbox emails - can this be customized to display # of unread emails in Inbox + specified sub-folders?)

Leno16

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with my mails on my s4,it's extremely irritating. Please inform me if you find a resolution!

Leno16

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
As far as I'm aware the combined inbox is for if you have 2 accounts attached to the email app. It pulls in the unread mails from both inboxes so you can view them in one location instead of flicking between the 2 different inboxes.