Archived texts in Google Messages remaining in archive folder with new messages

Warhammer486

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Recently in the last few weeks I have noticed text messages mostly with groups staying in the archived folder after someone sends a new message, rather than moving out to the main screen/inbox like it previously did. I still get an alert and can read the text, but it used to automatically move the message out of archive.

Is this a new feature? Any way to force it to back to automatically moving the messages into my inbox again?

Reactions: AlexisM

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought Android owners were more tech savvy, help please people!
Welcome to Android Central! It can be a bit challenging to test an issue like this, since it's not necessarily a day-to-day occurrence. I'll try to test it on my Pixel 7 Pro.

In the meantime, try clearing the app cache for Google Messages in Settings>Apps, then Force Stop it and then open it again.

Laserdave

Aug 15, 2023
Visit site
They are not asking how to unarchive a message. They are asking WHY the system is not unarchiving automatically when a new message comes in to a message chain that has been archived. Happening to me as well and seems to happen more often with GROUP texts, than individuals.

Reactions: Krolt

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They are not asking how to unarchive a message. They are asking WHY the system is not unarchiving automatically when a new message comes in to a message chain that has been archived. Happening to me as well and seems to happen more often with GROUP texts, than individuals.
Welcome to AC!
Thanks for verifying the issue, sounds like you would need to contact Google on why thats happening .

Reactions: Laura Knotek

AlexisM

Aug 17, 2023
Visit site
Same problem and it's driving me crazy. I also noticed it's not consistent and more often affects group texts, although it also affects some single person texts, which makes me think it's a bug, not a new change to the app. Hoping next time there's an update it's fixed!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would echo the above suggestion to send feedback to Google about this from within the app's settings. If this is an unintended bug, it's important for Google to be made aware of it. (If it's intended for some odd reason, it's still important for Google to get feedback about why it's not ideal.)

Many people don't bother to send feedback because they assume it's useless, but I've seen a number of bugs fixed after doing so.

memyselfandi

Oct 13, 2023
Visit site
I have been having this issue for a LONG time, but just today figured out it was caused by someone replying to an Archived message. I searched my texts for "Unread", and to my horror discovered TONS of unread texts. I will send feedback to Google, but will also follow this forum in case you guys are smarter than Google engineers. :)

memyselfandi

Oct 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi , may try resetting that app?
Clear it's data then force stop it.
Tried all of that. Reset the app. Cleared cache. Removed and re-added my Google account. Did all updates. Was about to wipe my entire phone and factory reset but then I found this thread. It is definitely a bug. At least now I know WHY I've been missing texts. And at least now I know how to find them throughout the day I search for all "unread" texts to see if I've missed any. It sucks but at least now I'm not missing critical texts...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Tried all of that. Reset the app. Cleared cache. Removed and re-added my Google account. Did all updates. Was about to wipe my entire phone and factory reset but then I found this thread. It is definitely a bug. At least now I know WHY I've been missing texts. And at least now I know how to find them throughout the day I search for all "unread" texts to see if I've missed any. It sucks but at least now I'm not missing critical texts...
Maybe uninstall the update to Google messages, long press the app >tap info>3 dots upper right corner tap and uninstall update see if previous version works just don't let play store automatically update it.

memyselfandi

Oct 13, 2023
Visit site
Maybe uninstall the update to Google messages, long press the app >tap info>3 dots upper right corner tap and uninstall update see if previous version works just don't let play store automatically update it.
I'll give it a try! Although this has been happening a while (thinking even before the any recent updates). Fingers crossed!

Reactions: mustang7757

memyselfandi

Oct 13, 2023
Visit site
Ok let us know
UGH!!! <<DO NOT REVERT BACK THE UPDATE>>

Rolling back the update wiped out all my group names that I had set up. I use this feature so I can name my groups, archive conversations, and then later search for the groups or start new texts by pulling up the group name.

It also UNARCHIVED ALL MY MESSAGES now the app is hanging when I pull it up. I'm going to have to go back, one-by-one, and re-archive everything to clean up my inbox.

Finally, you can't search for Unread messages, so I will have no way of knowing if this roll back even worked. Searching for unread messages was the way I found out that Archive messages don't back back into your "text inbox" when there's a new response to it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
UGH!!! >

Rolling back the update wiped out all my group names that I had set up. I use this feature so I can name my groups, archive conversations, and then later search for the groups or start new texts by pulling up the group name.

It also UNARCHIVED ALL MY MESSAGES now the app is hanging when I pull it up. I'm going to have to go back, one-by-one, and re-archive everything to clean up my inbox.

Finally, you can't search for Unread messages, so I will have no way of knowing if this roll back even worked. Searching for unread messages was the way I found out that Archive messages don't back back into your "text inbox" when there's a new response to it.
Surprised it didn't repopulate them but maybe doing this from scratch might help