Problem with camera - won't focus well

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I take two types of pictures: scenery and my kids. With scenery, the S4 camera takes great pictures and has loads of options. But with my kids, 8 & 11 and who are always moving, it is almost impossible to get a clear picture. I tried the Auto option and the Sports options, which seemed like the next best choice, and still almost every picture was blurry and out of focus. I love everything else about this phone and haven't had any other significant complaints, but this is frustrating and a big deal. Anyone else running in to this? Any ideas on how to remedy? Will another camera app work or could it be something part of the actual camera? The only thing I've found that can help is the Best Face option, but that slows things down when I have to pick from a handful of pictures.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Good suggestion from msavic6. I've noticed that the stock camera picks a relatively slow shutter speed unless the light is really, really bright. A slow shutter speed can result in a blurry picture due to you moving the phone while shooting and your kids running around while shooting. Also, it could be that the camera is not getting focus lock when your kids are moving around quickly.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
The burst modes work well, for the most part, but are a bit cumbersome because I then have to go through and pick the best one (or at least confirm the auto selection). That will do if it's the only option, but hoping to find a better solution.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The burst modes work well, for the most part, but are a bit cumbersome because I then have to go through and pick the best one (or at least confirm the auto selection). That will do if it's the only option, but hoping to find a better solution.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

As far as I can tell, the only way to get the fastest possible shutter speed and thereby freeze motion is to use Sports mode (or any other mode that emphasizes shutter speed; burst mode may, I'm not sure) in bright light (natural or artificial) and/or boost the ISO.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. After tinkering with it a bit more I think the burst mode is the best solution until/unless something else comes along.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Markus Ethur

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my S3, I've tried other ROM like Cyanogenmod, still the same. I'm really mad with my Galaxy because I sold my iPhone, I bought this when watched the commercial the S3 taking burst pictures with incredible shutter speed.... :( Samsung stupid.

This is a picture taken with iPhone, the water clear frozen...
54b962ec635011e3a1581241d3e36a2a_8.jpg

SGL1

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have to take pictures of receipts for one of my jobs and the problem I have is it just doesn't want to focus in. It may be a low light problem possibly, but shouldn't matter. I have to keep tapping the screen to get it to lock in focus. PITA I tell ya.