Galaxy S4 Backup to PC - With phone screen failure

Gargoyle11

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, my screen has just died on my S4 (needing to be sent off for repair) without me having a chance to back anything up. Apps and contacts, I'm not fussed about, they are already synced with Google. I need to get my photos off of the phone though.

When I connect to a PC, it only displays an icon "S4 Media Player" with no file structure. Not even the SD card content.

From what I have read so far, I need to set up an App on the phone first, which I obviously cannot do without a screen. Any ideas? I've only had the phone a month so it's not the end of the world, but there are still a few photos/ Videos I need.

I should have set the Camera to save directly to SD card, and backed up, but it's all in hindsight now. Be grateful of any tips

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
When I connect my S4 to my PC with a USB cable (without any app having been set up on the phone), after about a minute (during which I hear the standard Windows USB-device-connecting sound and then later the USB-device-disconnecting sound) a new portable device appears in Explorer, under Computer, called SCH-I545 and described as a Portable Media Player. This sounds somewhat similar to what you are seeing. However, when I click on this device it does show me two Items, Card and Phone, and clicking on either of those will show a list of folders, including DCIM, where photos and videos would be stored. But I gather that you're not seeing these things?