Dumbest help question ever

cosimomedici

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Please don't hate me for asking this, but I have an issue with my phone that I can't figure out for the life of me.

Every morning, around 7AM (but not always exactly at 7), my phone makes a very loud noise - two tones, descending, and it's not any of the stock notification noises on the phone. It's not a message alert, calendar event, or anything else I can identify, and it doesn't come with any message on screen.

Does anybody know what this is, and how I can turn it off? Or am I going completely insane?

EDIT - phone is a Verizon Galaxy S4, model # SCH-I545, kernel version 3.4.0.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Please don't hate me for asking this, but I have an issue with my phone that I can't figure out for the life of me.

Every morning, around 7AM (but not always exactly at 7), my phone makes a very loud noise - two tones, descending, and it's not any of the stock notification noises on the phone. It's not a message alert, calendar event, or anything else I can identify, and it doesn't come with any message on screen.

Does anybody know what this is, and how I can turn it off? Or am I going completely insane?

EDIT - phone is a Verizon Galaxy S4, model # SCH-I545, kernel version 3.4.0.

Odd...my step-father complains of the almost exact same thing, only his is at 0900 (this is US Eastern time, what time zone are you in?). He claims that his is the "default" message sound on his device, though I've never been around to hear it go off myself, and he's not exactly very tech-literate either, so I can't verify that. Either way, he says it happens every day, and when he checks his phone, there is no new notification or message of any kind. I looked his phone over, and couldn't find anything that may be triggering such as an alarm or calendar event, etc.

Sorry I'm not more help, but I'm mainly posting here to subscribe to the thread and see if anyone else has any insight....

cosimomedici

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Pete, thanks a million for the response - yeah my phone is default EST.

I used to think that I was pretty tech-literate, but this is making me question that assumption.....

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Have a look at the health app sensor settings. Some setting there may be triggering the notification

This👆

Also, OP, do you have it on the charger overnight?
I've noticed with my GS4 that I have a setting to notify me when it's charged. That sound is like the one you mentioned.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh, btw, welcome to the forums cosimomedici!

There is no such thing as a dumb question!

Remember that!

cosimomedici

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Stargate and Bosbouer, thanks a million. S health had been disabled but I re-enabled it and turned off notifications before disabling it again. The phone was off the charger this morning, so thinking it's not that. Will report whether it happens again tomorrow having made the change in s health...

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Stargate and Bosbouer, thanks a million. S health had been disabled but I re-enabled it and turned off notifications before disabling it again. The phone was off the charger this morning, so thinking it's not that. Will report whether it happens again tomorrow having made the change in s health...

No problem. Let us know what happens.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Let us know. I don't think that fixed it though if you had it disabled because that disabled notifications too. It's not running at all but I've seen stranger things. :)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
So it happened again... I think it's happening at 0705 and 1705 exactly, and only on weekdays. Maybe something calendar related?

That's a little weird, and yes, check the calendar to be on the safe side.

Have you done a factory reset?

darth android

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Yup, calendar and alarm both checked. Did a reset and it's still happening. So strange....

I know that you have nuked it from orbit, but here is my suggestion: go into each app installed on your phone's info and see which ones can use notifications and prevent your phone from sleeping. Go through ALL of them, just to be sure. If not, then just turn the volume completely off i guess.

I find your lack of faith in android disturbing.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Yup, calendar and alarm both checked. Did a reset and it's still happening. So strange....

After you did the reset, did you reinstall all your apps at once? I know it'd be a pain, but another reset and then just restoring one app at a time and waiting to see which one makes the sound happen would be one way to nail it down. Either that, or darth android's suggestion of going through app by app to see which ones have the capability to do this. Or is there an app that can scan installed apps for specific permissions?

darth android

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
After you did the reset, did you reinstall all your apps at once? I know it'd be a pain, but another reset and then just restoring one app at a time and waiting to see which one makes the sound happen would be one way to nail it down. Either that, or darth android's suggestion of going through app by app to see which ones have the capability to do this. Or is there an app that can scan installed apps for specific permissions?

App permission manager can. I think.

I find your lack of faith in android disturbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty