Problem syncing music. Help?

DroidRooter

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
So I got my S4 yesterday and got a 64GB Sd card to put in it. I have over 32 GB of music so a 32 GB card wouldn't work well, lol. Anyway, when I sync my music it only syncs 8GBs and than stops as if it finished syncing. But there's a lot more to sync. Whats up?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
What are you using to sync? I use iSyncr to sync with iTunes and it does great. I have probably 30 gb of songs that I sync.

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So I got my S4 yesterday and got a 64GB Sd card to put in it. I have over 32 GB of music so a 32 GB card wouldn't work well, lol. Anyway, when I sync my music it only syncs 8GBs and than stops as if it finished syncing. But there's a lot more to sync. Whats up?

I use iSyncr to sync with iTunes and it does great. I have probably 30 gb of songs that I sync.

Hi DroidRooter. It may be me but there is, in my opinion, a lot of information missing. The biggest question I have for you is what type of computer are you using Mac OS-based of Windows-based? If the latter, does the computer recognize BOTH the Phone and the Card when the phone is connected as a device? ...and does the computer recognize the entire approximately 64GB of space? If the former, what application are you using to sync your music?

Finally, if you are using a Windows-based and the computer recognizes the entire SD card, you can simply open two Windows Explorer windows (one showing your music files and one showing the SD card). Then, you can simply drag and drop the music onto the card. That's what I do and I have never had a problem. I am listening to a portion of my collection right now (...total collection upwards of 100GB).

DroidRooter

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi DroidRooter. It may be me but there is, in my opinion, a lot of information missing. The biggest question I have for you is what type of computer are you using Mac OS-based of Windows-based? If the latter, does the computer recognize BOTH the Phone and the Card when the phone is connected as a device? ...and does the computer recognize the entire approximately 64GB of space? If the former, what application are you using to sync your music?

Finally, if you are using a Windows-based and the computer recognizes the entire SD card, you can simply open two Windows Explorer windows (one showing your music files and one showing the SD card). Then, you can simply drag and drop the music onto the card. That's what I do and I have never had a problem. I am listening to a portion of my collection right now (...total collection upwards of 100GB).

I have windows and I drag it on the card via windows explorer. And now the device randomly disconnects, even when copying music to it, even though its still connected via USB and re connects as a usb installer? What the hell?! Its an s4 on Verizon.

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Did you confirm that your phone is connected as a device and not as an installer? Disconnect your device and then reconnect it. Once connected, go to your phone and drag down from the top. Next, click on MTP. Once you do that, your phone will be connected to your computer as a device. Go back to the computer and double click on the phone icon. This will open all the contents of the phone. You should see two entries (one for Phone and one for Card) double click on the Card and navigate to Music. Here's the kicker, if there is no Music folder...simply create one.

Now, all of this is predicated on whether or not the card is actually read as a 64GB card and not an 8GB card. If, when you open the contents of the phone, the computer only recognizes 8GB (approximately) under the Card, you may need to confirm whether or not that 64GB card is actually working properly.

DroidRooter

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Did you confirm that your phone is connected as a device and not as an installer? Disconnect your device and then reconnect it. Once connected, go to your phone and drag down from the top. Next, click on MTP. Once you do that, your phone will be connected to your computer as a device. Go back to the computer and double click on the phone icon. This will open all the contents of the phone. You should see two entries (one for Phone and one for Card) double click on the Card and navigate to Music. Here's the kicker, if there is no Music folder...simply create one.

Now, all of this is predicated on whether or not the card is actually read as a 64GB card and not an 8GB card. If, when you open the contents of the phone, the computer only recognizes 8GB (approximately) under the Card, you may need to confirm whether or not that 64GB card is actually working properly.

I should probably be more clear to help the situation, lol. I say what i do in a step by step list.

>Connect Phone to Computer (windows 7)
>Phone connects as a USB Installer
>goes to phone usb settings and selects MTP Transfer
>Opens Explorer on computer and drags music to card on device (which shows up as 64GB)
>Music starts copying
>After awhile the phone disconnects by itself
>Reconnects as USB Installer again
>Have to delete files and start over or it will merge and duplicate all music files

How do i fix this?

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
First, apologies in advance if this text is large. I'm posting this from my phone.

Yes, that clears things up perfectly. I think we can remove the computer as the issue. Do you have another sync cable? Also, is there another phone in your home? If another phone has the same issue as your phone, the issue msy be the sync cable.

Also, and this is just a long shot, does the phone disconnect from the computer at the exact same song each time?

DroidRooter

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
First, apologies in advance if this text is large. I'm posting this from my phone.

Yes, that clears things up perfectly. I think we can remove the computer as the issue. Do you have another sync cable? Also, is there another phone in your home? If another phone has the same issue as your phone, the issue msy be the sync cable.
Different song each time.

Also, and this is just a long shot, does the phone disconnect from the computer at the exact same song each time?
I tried the same cable on my 2013 Nexus 7 and didnt have an issue. Its the phone connecting as an Installer. Is there a way to disable that? and it happens randomly

Last edited:

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
>Connect Phone to Computer (windows 7)
>Phone connects as a USB Installer
>goes to phone usb settings and selects MTP Transfer
>Opens Explorer on computer and drags music to card on device (which shows up as 64GB)

DroidRooter said:
Its the phone connecting as an Installer. Is there a way to disable that?

I have the exact same set up as you. My phone is rooted and I have Developer mode on. As far as I know, there is no way to disable the initial installer connection before the phone can be placed in device mode via MTP. Let me get some screen shots together. If we have ruled out the computer and the cable, the only thing left is the phone. In the meantime, have you tried to use the 8GB SD card that came with the phone (or at least one came with my phone)?

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I tried the same cable on my 2013 Nexus 7 and didnt have an issue. Its the phone connecting as an Installer. Is there a way to disable that? and it happens randomly

After thinking about this, there really is no reason to provide screen shots. You are doing everything exactly the same way I am doing it. There is one difference but it is a long shot. I have my phone set to never lock or go dim (another plus of being rooted). When I connect my phone to my computer when it is locked, I get a message on the screen prompting me to unlock the device to connect as a media device. My hunch, and again this is a long shot, is that your phone may be locking after a period of time that coincides with the data transfer stopping.

On your end, see if the same thing happens if the phone is unlocked. I will try to duplicate your issue on my end.

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My phone is currently connected to my computer and locked but the data transfer is proceeding with no issue. Wish I could help but you may want to head back to the Verizon store to get assistance from them (or maybe another forum member has more suggestions).

DroidRooter

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
After thinking about this, there really is no reason to provide screen shots. You are doing everything exactly the same way I am doing it. There is one difference but it is a long shot. I have my phone set to never lock or go dim (another plus of being rooted). When I connect my phone to my computer when it is locked, I get a message on the screen prompting me to unlock the device to connect as a media device. My hunch, and again this is a long shot, is that your phone may be locking after a period of time that coincides with the data transfer stopping.

On your end, see if the same thing happens if the phone is unlocked. I will try to duplicate your issue on my end.
I'll give it a shot.

DroidRooter

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

My phone is currently connected to my computer and locked but the data transfer is proceeding with no issue. Wish I could help but you may want to head back to the Verizon store to get assistance from them (or maybe another forum member has more suggestions).
Actually, it worked when i left the screen on. Lol. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress