Samsung Galaxy S4 - fried wifi module, any way to replace it?

Keith Hanson

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I've been having a lot of problems with the wifi on my S4 GT-I1905 so I recently updated the firmware to lollipop but it didn't make any difference. I tried all the fixes I could find with no joy, apart from once, for about 4 hours it worked again after a hard reset and leaving the battery out overnight. However, when I tried this again, it didn't work so I decided to look inside following a takedown video on Youtube. From what I can see it looks like the wifi module is fried. Here is a picture of my motherboard. I understand the wifi module is on the left hand side and if looks like it may have overheated and melted at some point. I don't know how this could have happened, although there were times when the phone felt hot so maybe it was then. 1980-01-01 00.02.21 smaller.jpg
My question is first, whether I am correct that the wifi module is fried based on the picture, and if it is, is there any way to replace it? Or is a new motherboard required?
Thanks
Keith

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

If the WiFi module is damaged it would probably be easier to replace the whole board. That being said You might just be better off upgrading your phone. You can try to find a replacement board but at what cost? How long will that board last? Are you still under contract with your current provider? Did you have insurance on the phone?

Keith Hanson

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

If the WiFi module is damaged it would probably be easier to replace the whole board. That being said You might just be better off upgrading your phone. You can try to find a replacement board but at what cost? How long will that board last? Are you still under contract with your current provider? Did you have insurance on the phone?

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I bought the phone without a contract a couple of years ago and don't have insurance so to upgrade would cost a lot. I'm on pay as you go. I think I could get a new board for about £90 after a quick search but do I not have to be really careful about getting the right one? Are there ways to verify its compatibility?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Keith

Posted via the Android Central App

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I bought the phone without a contract a couple of years ago and don't have insurance so to upgrade would cost a lot. I'm on pay as you go. I think I could get a new board for about £90 after a quick search but do I not have to be really careful about getting the right one? Are there ways to verify its compatibility?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Keith

Posted via the Android Central App

If the WiFi model is on the same board that stores the actual phone radio and processor than yes. Someone could sell you a board that has a blacklisted IMEI. So in a sense your WiFi could be fixed but your phone could no longer work because the board came out of a stolen phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo