Why cant i see the software update option on my samsung galaxy s4?

1dizo

May 12, 2016
Visit site
I have a relatively new Samsung s4 i9500, about 3 months old now. The phone has an application called SSU, am assuming it was first unlocked to be used on any other carrier like mine from Sprint before being sold. Phone works well except I cannot update the OS from 4.2.2 to 5.0
The forums I researched on advised phone could be fake or cloned so I download the CPU-Z and found that am suing the Qcom spapdragon 600 meaning the phone is not a fake. Also when I run terminal emulator, am getting the "$" sign at the beginning of the command line meaning its rooted?

What can I do to get the latest update for this device?

Loud cry for Help :'(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you saying that you can't even find the Settings>About Phone>System Update option, or that it's there but never shows an available update? If the latter, then it's probably because you have to be on the Sprint network in order to get an OTA for a Sprint-specific device. Other options include using Samsung Kies or Smart Switch to see if you can manually update the firmware, or Odin: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html

If you can't even find the option, it's possible the phone was rooted and a custom ROM was installed. Run Root Checker to see if the phone is rooted. Also, what's the firmware build number?