I lost my pictures from my vacation! How can I get them back?

A

AC Question

lost pictures from vacation! help

Galaxy S5 active, all pic and videos saved to memory card. I recently traveled to Vegas, 2nd video from trip came up only as a black icon with an exclamation on it. Cannot view media apparently, and every video and picture after that. The camera would do what it's supposed to...take the pic, then I could see its thumbnail in bottom corner as normal. But nothing in the gallery. Just the same black icon/thumbnails. Removed battery, and memory card. Plugged it all back in and nothing. Gone! All black icons are gone. Help? 16gb phone, 64gb card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: lost pictures from vacation! help

Welcome to Android Central! The card might be defective, corrupt, or counterfeit. Install and run SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeiters take a smaller card and program it to report that it's a larger card. Things work fine until you actually exceed the real storage limit--then files start corrupting.

If the card is genuine, it might still be corrupted. Unmount the card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your computer, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: lost pictures from vacation! help

Your SD card has probably failed. This is not unusual, they're not terribly reliable. If you did not have a backup copy on a computer or cloud storage, then unfortunately the files are likely gone. Sorry.

But even if they appear to be gone there's still a slight chance you may be able to recover them by putting the SD card in a laptop or PC with a card slot or USB card reader and using Recuva software:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2F%2Fwww.piriform.com%2Frecuva&token=9X16o8K6

From now on, remember: Backups, backups, backups!

B. Diddy had some good advice, but to increase your already slight chances of recovery, I recommend running Recuva before doing anything else.

Last edited: