MEDIA cpu usage draining battery?

uwbadger2010

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, Im on my first day with the gs5 and am noticing that MEDIA is using a considerable amount of CPU time. its not keeping the phone awake but im 61% at 3hrs 51min off batt with 1hr 49min screen on and MEDIA using 1h 3min only keeping phone awake 8min 56sec.

Any suggestions or ideas?

NismoZ

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you have an MicroSD card in there, the media service on the phone may be cycling through your songs or pictures and is stuck on something. I'd backup the stuff on your card, then format it with exFAT, then try it again and see if that fixes it.

uwbadger2010

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
thats what i was thinking. if i export my contacts to my usb phone storage i will not lose them correct?....and whats the best way to format the card or how is that done? via computer or phone? i dont have an adapter for my computer is why im asking

NismoZ

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, you should have google contacts, correct? If so, they are backed up on google, so not to worry. If not, I am not sure what contacts you have stored on the MicroSD card... I took the card out, and formatted in my computer, but I had a MicroSD reader. You should be ok to format it in the phone settings.

uwbadger2010

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
k and yes i forgot about the google sync. ill try on the phone. thanks for the help. ill post back on the results prob later today. so far the battery is still impressive at about 2.5hrs screen on at 50%

uwbadger2010

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
so i pulled the card and restarted and still runs. by pulling the card should it not stop the process? the data seems to be increasing like something is downloading in the background. its up to 65 mb now. any ideas?

uwbadger2010

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
problem solved. SAMSUNG LINK was causing the cpu and battery drain. got it on the charger now but looks like that solved it. will update for sure.

uwbadger2010

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
samsung link was in fact the problem. turned off and battery is stellar now. i did use gsm battery monitor which worked great. would def recommend it to anyone with battery draining apps or processes. thanks for all the help guys

ddaniel87

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I have posted this elsewhere, but I can't get more than a few hours on a charge, and DCMProvider is using it all. Now up to 80%. Reset, and still doing it. I have no idea what this app is.

me

uwbadger2010

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
i replied previously to your thread and i believe it is not the dcmprovider. try turning off samsung link and see if that fixes it. they are both linked to a media process that is running.

uwbadger2010

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
even if it shows up on gsm batt monitor i would try samsung link first. it doesnt seem right but cant hurt as i know those two run a media process in the background. my dcmprovider is 0 since i turned link off

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
You might want to try Play Newsstand settings. If ?download while charging only? isn't checked, it'll keep refreshing in the background. You should also check the settings on any news & social media apps, as well as email.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty