Anyone go from LG G2 to S5?

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I ask because I am about to get one or the other from Tmobile. I realize there are some advantages to S5 but the G2 is solid and comes 32gb and is $210.00 less. I currently have an S3 so both will be a big improvement for me.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
The G2 is a real nice phone. It had better battery life. The camera has had a hard time focusing on anything that is moving at all. Was my only complaint with it.

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I went from the s3 to the g2 also and I'm very happy with my g2. It's smaller in physical size then the s5 too.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the G2 for 12 days and returned it because of the placement on the buttons. Im am old dog that can't get use to new tricks.

The G2 camera was good, but I like the S5 better. Camera is huge to me. I take motorcycle trips and enjoy recording them, pictures are important and the ability to put a 64 gig SD card in is great. No worries with storage for countless pictures and videos.

I've had the G5 for 5 days and I am very pleased, and I am very pleased as well with the tech21 case I picked up for it. No worries for my trip that I have in s month.

As was already said, both are great devices.

Hope I was some help.

Posted via Android Central App

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I still have 6gb left on my 16gb S30so space should not be an issue. I just want the camera to work well. How bad is focus issue? No updates fix it?

Azturbomini

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the S5 yesterday. I went from a Note 2 on Verizon to a Note 3 on T-Mobile. The Note 3 was just a little big for me so I exchanged it for a G2 which was the best phone I've ever had. The only reason I (Jumped) is because I missed the AMOLED screen and more accessories are available for the S5. Time will tell if I made the right choice. If I didn't I can Jump again in 6 months. Good luck!

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I went from the G2 to the S5. The G2 is an awesome device and if I don't like having the latest news shiny, I would still have it. In regular use, I have seen not noticeable difference in per dormancy between the two devices. Battery life goes to the G2, but the S5 battery probably hasn't broken it yet.

There is also the display technology preference. While I prefer the LG screens I had on both the DNA and G2, I use my phone as my alarm clock at night and I like how much darker the AMOLED screens are in Timely's night display - the lack of backlight makes a big difference.

I'm not a photographer, the cameras seem to be comparable. Wireless charging is a large plus for the G2. The GS5 is getting, but at a premium accessory price.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like most everyone here would agree that the S5 is not worth $210.00 more than the G2?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The obvious plus would be the water resistance. I'm very fond of the back button placement but that's a love or hate thing

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Azturbomini

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the previous input. Anymore suggestions before I buy on or the other today?

They are both very good phones and if I didn't have the (want) to have the latest and greatest I would buy the G2. I'm not unhappy with my S5 and it's starting to settle in a bit and get better battery life. Go with your gut feeling and either will make you a great phone.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
The G2 has dropped to $425 now making it $235 less than the S5 and T-Mobile is giving away a Quick Window case which hopefully I can sell for another $15 or more making it $250 less.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I went from the G2 to the S5. The G2 is an awesome device and if I don't like having the latest news shiny, I would still have it. In regular use, I have seen not noticeable difference in per dormancy between the two devices. Battery life goes to the G2, but the S5 battery probably hasn't broken it yet.

There is also the display technology preference. While I prefer the LG screens I had on both the DNA and G2, I use my phone as my alarm clock at night and I like how much darker the AMOLED screens are in Timely's night display - the lack of backlight makes a big difference.

I'm not a photographer, the cameras seem to be comparable. Wireless charging is a large plus for the G2. The GS5 is getting, but at a premium accessory price.

Thanks for this information. I have had the G2 for 6 days now and will most likely trade it in for an S5. The reason is the LCD display in Landscape with Polarized sunglasses. I cannot see the screen.

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but I have a 45 minute drive twice a day to work and my phone is my navigation. I use this mountek ngroove snap 2 - 6-ngroovesnap.jpg.

If I put my phone in Portrait it blocks too much of the radio. Don't take this as a bad review of the phone just pointing out something that does not work for my needs. I do not want to quit wearing Polarized Sunglasses for a phone when it was fine with my S3. The phone is super quick and I will miss the knock knock feature.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the G2 and thought it was a great phone, especially for the money. However, not having a removable battery is a big deal for weekend camping trips and things like that. Knowing that I can take an extra battery not have to worry about charging for the whole weekend is a huge plus. Also ultra power saving mode. There were no complaints with the LG at all. I like the user interface better on the LG.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I had the G2. It had a nice screen (although a little washed out) and was fast. The problem was it had a bad radio (reception) and call quality was terrible. Every LG phone I have had has had those problems (Nexus, Optimus G, Optimus G Pro). Also, the button placement is awful. I never got used to it. The only saving grace was double tap, but I have that now on the S5 (at least off). On the M8 you can get both on and off. The M8 and the S5 are much better than the G2, particularly if you are looking at a 2 year commitment, but only you can decide if it is worth the additional cost.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this information. I have had the G2 for 6 days now and will most likely trade it in for an S5. The reason is the LCD display in Landscape with Polarized sunglasses. I cannot see the screen.

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but I have a 45 minute drive twice a day to work and my phone is my navigation. I use this mountek ngroove snap 2 - View attachment 115355.

If I put my phone in Portrait it blocks too much of the radio. Don't take this as a bad review of the phone just pointing out something that does not work for my needs. I do not want to quit wearing Polarized Sunglasses for a phone when it was fine with my S3. The phone is super quick and I will miss the knock knock feature.

Yeah, I should have mentioned the polarization in landscape on the G2. It made it difficult take pictures wearing sunglasses while skiing too. As spring skiing started, all of my pictures went portrait.