Question Porting Twrp On Unbranded Device?

Munk.3

Dec 16, 2023
Visit site
As short as possible, i have this unbranded Chinese device,

I realize that I would actually have to port twrp first before I could do anything else. I came across this one method of porting it on yt(5min)

Though I'm very skeptical about this because it's a copy n paste type of thing.(except for ending where we edit mount partions I believe)

I also noticed things missing compared to the video. Like in my twrp their was no kernel file as well as my stock recovery(tho both has kernerloffline file).

But in the video the guy has kernel file in both recovery and twrp img's. Is it the type of recovery or am I missing something??

Question: what would you rate this method out 0f 10 ( personal opinion), in terms of getting it to work? And how would you go about building twrp for an in branded device. (I also looked for some guides on xda, but can't find a solid one for my situation

(I'm questioning this method because it seems too easy compared to the instruction and lengthy guides on other forums. Which Is why I'm asking. Plus I get to learn from anyone experience so I appreciate it😅)

Last edited:

Munk.3

Dec 16, 2023
Visit site
Check twrp website if your device is available otherwise very risky trying something like this otherwise check xda forums
Yeah a big risk, and I know 9/10 personally it never goes well, but hey I'm always curious.

Also my device isn't avalible, but, if it helps this Chinese device appears as HTC when plugged into PC. ( but obviously no specific model)...

Thank you for response : )

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah a big risk, and I know 9/10 personally it never goes well, but hey I'm always curious.

Also my device isn't avalible, but, if it helps this Chinese device appears as HTC when plugged into PC. ( but obviously no specific model)...

Thank you for response : )
I wish I could further help but I have no experience in your device and been away from twrp , rooting for awhile now but I know you can really screw your device up using wrong things but try XDA forums they more geared towards this things

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I used to be big on ROMing and rooting, but I don't think any of our active members really do it anymore. Very much a 20teens hobby.

From what I remember though, you're kernel should not be part of your recovery. You usually flash a custom kernel from the recovery, but the kernel is built into the ROM rather than the recovery.

Munk.3

Dec 16, 2023
Visit site
I used to be big on ROMing and rooting, but I don't think any of our active members really do it anymore. Very much a 20teens hobby.

From what I remember though, you're kernel should not be part of your recovery. You usually flash a custom kernel from the recovery, but the kernel is built into the ROM rather than the recovery.
^Well noted fuz, this is helpful info thank you!!!
I wish I could further help but I have no experience in your device and been away from twrp , rooting for awhile now but I know you can really screw your device up using wrong things but try XDA forums they more geared towards this things
^ Same, recently got into twrp and stuff again, but i wanted to you know, go further.