screen is on all night while charging, anyway to turn it off

lifesaver1

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The problem I have found with these fixes is that the don't address the root problem, which is that a screen which has been manually turned off (via the power button), turns on automatically when the charge reaches 100%. It seems to be a bug or oversight in the programming of Kit Kat or the S5. I choose to have my phone set up such that it will "stay awake" when the battery is charging (by ticking that box in the Developer options area) because I sometimes use the phone in the car on a dashboard mount, plugged into a charger, and I don't want the screen to turn off. When I plug the phone in to charge it at night, I press the power button, which turns of the screen and I place the phone face down beside the bed. When it hits 100%, the screen turns on again and sits there on until I notice it and turn it off. Certainly I could turn the phone off at night to avoid this, but then I would not receive or place urgent calls (it is my only phone). As well, I could turn off the stay awake option, but for reasons noted I don't want to do so. The solution here, in my view, is a change in the programming of the software to stop this from happening.

joshlurgee

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
The problem I have found with these fixes is that the don't address the root problem, which is that a screen which has been manually turned off (via the power button), turns on automatically when the charge reaches 100%. It seems to be a bug or oversight in the programming of Kit Kat or the S5. I choose to have my phone set up such that it will "stay awake" when the battery is charging (by ticking that box in the Developer options area) because I sometimes use the phone in the car on a dashboard mount, plugged into a charger, and I don't want the screen to turn off. When I plug the phone in to charge it at night, I press the power button, which turns of the screen and I place the phone face down beside the bed. When it hits 100%, the screen turns on again and sits there on until I notice it and turn it off. Certainly I could turn the phone off at night to avoid this, but then I would not receive or place urgent calls (it is my only phone). As well, I could turn off the stay awake option, but for reasons noted I don't want to do so. The solution here, in my view, is a change in the programming of the software to stop this from happening.

Go to settings and then search "charging" using the search box at the top.

It should pull up an item under the Developer options "stay awake. Screen will never go to sleep when charging" in check this box.
For some reason it's defaulted and buried under the Developer options. Obviously an oversight when they rolled this out.

Syed Jafar

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Here is the real solution. Use the charger that came with the S5. It need the 2 amp charger. If the amps are not enough the phone will beep and the light stays on.
Jafar

Bill Vickery

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm not seeing developer options when searching for charging.

My phone starts scrolling through the gallery once 100% charge is reached. I don't want my screen to be used up prematurely. I simply unplug it and turn it off when I awake in the middle of the night, but this should not be happening.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not seeing developer options when searching for charging.

My phone starts scrolling through the gallery once 100% charge is reached. I don't want my screen to be used up prematurely. I simply unplug it and turn it off when I awake in the middle of the night, but this should not be happening.

It's normal for it to light up for a few seconds once it hits full charge but then it should go back idle.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Louise Jones1

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
So glad i read all this as my screen light stays on while charging so went into developer options and yes the stay awake option was ticked so i unticked it and hey presto its worked. Many thanks as been bugging me for weeks :-D :-D

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
It's normal for it to light up for a few seconds once it hits full charge but then it should go back idle.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Hey, My Note 4 is doing the same...two diff charges...ding ding screen on...then off ding ding screen on...help!! I checked dev options and daydream is off as well....

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Plug the charger into a timer and set for 2 or 3 hours. When the power is cut off to the charger the screen will also turn off.

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I installed Battery Doctor just simply to be able to monitor a few things, and in Settings you can turn Notifications off.

I don't hear an 'end charge' noise.

I do hear a tinkle when it first starts charging, but how can that bother you. you are already awake and it is so brief.

Loki Lakshmi

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, I read this on a S4 forum and it worked, the problem was on the developers option, the Stay Awake was clicked on, this means the screen will never sleep while charging. If you are having this problem just go to Settings, Developers option and unselect Stay Awake.

I was having this problem with my new S5, and this tip totally solved it! Thanks a million! :)

writeman1

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
What a worthless comment. Asking the guy if he's up all night!? The tip to check Daydream, whether or it was on, was the good advice. My son's was doing the same thing, and low and behold, his was set to 'on'. He turned it off, and problem fixed.

ChipShot

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Go to Settings ... Display ... Daydream ... and Turn it Off. Remember that: Fish don't fry in the kitchen, beans don't burn on the grill ...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo