Will Samsung update Galaxy S5 to Android L before or after HTC updates the One M8?

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Will Samsung update Galaxy S5 to Android L before or after HTC updates the One M8?
(HTC promised update within 90 days after Android L is release to them)

Come to think of it, is the Galaxy S5 even capable?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Is it capable? That' must be a sarcastic question lol. They run the same hardware so if the HTC can run it, so can the S5. I'm personally an S5 owner, but I'm guessing that HTC will beat Samsung to the punch, at least here in the states anyway. I'll be happy to get the update, but it looks like more refinements than anything, so I'm not in a rush.

Sent from my XPS 12-9Q33 using Tapatalk

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Great question. My last phone was an htc thunderbolt. At that time sense was the most extensive overlay by a mile and it took forever to get an update. Now it would seem that times have changed and TouchWiz is the extensive overlay that will take the longest to get an update.

I say htc gets it first.

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
(HTC promised update within 90 days after Android L is release to them)

Come to think of it, is the Galaxy S5 even capable?

This will depend more on the carrier you have than Samsung. You may get it quickly, but you probably won't.

If you wanted quick software updates, you unfortunately bought the wrong phone.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
its not samsung you should question, it is the carriers.

if u have version, expect it in january

I believe the carrier approval process adds the same amount of time weather you have a htc or a samsung. Of course if an update gets rejected, its revision has to go through the entire carrier approval process again in many cases.
I agree verizon adds the most delay.

ronkatyoung

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I just read on Yahoo news that "HTC announced on Wednesday that it will bring Android L to both the HTC One (M7) and the HTC One (M8) “within 90 days of receiving final software from Google.”

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Depends on which carrier you are on also. Even if the phone is capable of running it ,the carriers take their dear sweet time adding there crap to it first before we get it .

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the answer for those on Verizon.

NEVER.

they don't do updates.
My Galaxy S never got an update.... in 3 years.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

NEVER.

they don't do updates.

Sorry to hear that about your Galaxy S. Verizon kept up with my Droid RAZR maxx until Motorola itself stopped doing updates. Hopefully they'll do the same with the S5

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site

NEVER.

they don't do updates.

Sorry to hear that about your Galaxy S. Verizon kept up with my Droid RAZR maxx until Motorola itself stopped doing updates. Hopefully they'll do the same with the S5

My thunderbolt was updated into obsolescence. That phone took forever to get an update approved but they did update it from froyo through ice cream sandwich. I am pretty sure "L" will run great on the S5. Based on what I have seen the GPU might become a weak point for the "M" release. This is me speculating based on comments made in the keynote about working with graphics hardware companies to bring mobile graphics capabilities closer to that of desktop computers.

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Being on T-Mobile, I hope they will offer the update for it. Not exactly sure what the new version will bring, but I am sure it will be interesting. Just got my S5, so time to learn how to use it.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

NEVER.

they don't do updates.

Well, I guess things have changed since you left Verizon. My Verizon Galaxy S3 (bought July 2012 (23 months ago) @launch with a pre-order) is getting Kit Kat 4.4.3 today - almost 2 years. While there are still many things to complain about Samsung updates is not one of them. While I love my G2 I occasionally pull out the S3 (it is still in active use as an around the house MP3 player/handheld WiFi player) and it is still a nice running phone (I use Apex and have turned off most of the animations) - the 2 GB of RAM really helped future proof this phone and Jelly Bean runs quite nicely on this phone and if the cell and data radios had been better (typical Samsung weakness) I might still be using it regularly.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
90 days?!?! All these changes Google is making why can't they figure out a way to bring updates (especially to flagships) the next day or so like Apple.

If and when it's released and it's available on the next flagship, I don't think I can wait. Again, patience. It's not in me. LOL

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
90 days?!?! All these changes Google is making why can't they figure out a way to bring updates (especially to flagships) the next day or so like Apple.

If and when it's released and it's available on the next flagship, I don't think I can wait. Again, patience. It's not in me. LOL

Google isn't the one that said they will update within 90 days, that was HTC. 90 days is actually a really good time frame from receiving code for the new stock version of Android, to customizing it for their devices (the One M7 and M8), and getting it through testing to assure nothing breaks.
HTC doesn't have access to all the code during Google's development of Android L, so there is no way that they can update the way Apple does, who has control over both the OS and the devices.