Galaxy S5 is Randomly Restarting

diexiel

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
if you mean wipe data factory reset and wipe cache patition after flashing to another android version, I did it. i mean that i didnt try to fully format the internal storage because of the photos, but in my opinion it wount help.
i`ll take the phone to the shop tommorow, it still under waranty, see what they have to say about.
thx for yor help :)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
if you mean wipe data factory reset and wipe cache patition after flashing to another android version, I did it. i mean that i didnt try to fully format the internal storage because of the photos, but in my opinion it wount help.
i`ll take the phone to the shop tommorow, it still under waranty, see what they have to say about.
thx for yor help :)

I mean a Full Wipe of both the phone's internal and external storage as well as a Factory Data Reset. See the guide for instructions.

Warrioroftheseas

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Mine will have that issue too, where it goes black, vibrates twice then restarts. I've kept my eye on it, and it'll reset regardless of what's happening. I could be browsing on Chrome, using the Google Play store (today's example), listening to podcasts, or it may just be sitting on the desk. There is no rhyme or reason why it should be restarting like this, as far as I can tell. I had the memory card in another phone and it worked fine. However, I formatted the card before I put it into the Galaxy.

One piece of software I've been suspicious of is Clean Master. Anyone else?

Now that you said something about it. I've had the same problems, randomly restarting when I use it. But I also noticed that with mine, if it bumps against something with a little force, it restarts. I've had these problems since I downloaded cleanmaster, I've started to use the app more, now it's so bad that I'm lucky if my phone doesn't restart every half hour. Also, had anyone else's phone been overheating and batteey draining fast since the downloaded the app?

diexiel

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Now that you said something about it. I've had the same problems, randomly restarting when I use it. But I also noticed that with mine, if it bumps against something with a little force, it restarts. I've had these problems since I downloaded cleanmaster, I've started to use the app more, now it's so bad that I'm lucky if my phone doesn't restart every half hour. Also, had anyone else's phone been overheating and batteey draining fast since the downloaded the app?

about overheating... since update to android 5.0 on g900f galaxy, the phone starts to overheat and drain battery faster, also the random rebooting.
bay the way I flashed the phone to previous version 4.4.2, wiped every thing and factory reset guest what it rebooted few times yesterday and today it worked perfectly without any random rebooting. I am talking about my wife phone and I asked her not to install to many applications only facebook, moovit, whatsapp, and few games. still the phone is heating but not like it was on android 5.0, but working stable. (first day)
witch android version you using ?

TimeClypse

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been having the same problem as everyone else here, and I may have accidentally stumbled upon a solution! It's been extremely annoying--every 20 seconds my screen would freeze for a split-second, flash white, then restart. I have T-Mobile; it seems like everyone with this problem does. This led me to believe the source of the problem was our phones' network connection, so I turned off my phone's wifi and activated airplane mode. After upwards of 10 minutes, my phone was behaving normally. This was encouraging; previously, my phone would restart before I was able to unlock it half the time! I tentatively turned off airplane mode and reactivated my wifi, fully expecting the problem to reappear. However, as of yet, it hasn't randomly restarted once. So, for all of you out there with this problem, try turning off your wifi and turning on airplane mode for a while (15 minutes did it for me), then turn your wifi back on. Hopefully you'll have the same success I did.

On a side note, my phone wouldn't let me increase the brightness at one point because it said the device was overheating. Maybe this is related?

Wow thanks, you saved my Phone (no T-Mobile!)

I had exactly the same issue, it kept resetting after 10 seconds on the lock screen. I tried the following:
- Different batteries
- Cleared cache in recovery mode
- Flashed older firmwares (5.x)
- Factory reset in recovery mode

My Phone even kept resetting at the welcome screen (after factory reset). When not entering WIFI details, and disabling my 5Ghz network, i could pass the welcome screen. Immediately turned on airplane mode. Turned back on WIFI after 10 minutes, and it still runs!

Now let's figure out whether it has issues with my 5Ghz network.

Edit: okay, i think i got the problem. My battery died the last night it was syncing (probably). When i reinstall using my google backup, it freaks out again. Clean install (install as new device, don't reset backups), it works fine.

Probably a WIFI error or problem during the synchronisation. Still works fine now, even on 5Ghz.

Last edited:

api_stoo

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys. I've been using my s5 for a month now and only problem i have found out is that when i'm trying to check my heartbeat the hrm seems to crash and about 30sec later my phone restarts and goes to some sort of a bootloop. So the only thing i can do is remove the battery and try again. Factory reset or booting in a safe mode won't help because it's not happening every time i check my pulse.

Last edited:

Jalal Abdulrahman

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Its gap between the contact of the battery and the contacts of the phone. Place some piece of aluminium foil ( or anything else thin enough ) between the lower edge of the battery and the phone to truly connect the contacts and than your good to go.

Kristene Go

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
My phone keeps on doing that too. It restarts itself but only when at sleep mode it will auto restart itself. Tried safe mode but still auto restart when at sleep.

Any solutions to this problem?
Samsung grand prime user

Posted via the Android Central App

gollerj

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
BIG CLUE ON POSSIBLE CAUSE!!!

Folks, I think I have an answer for this restarting problem- but I will need the help of others smarter than me to push this over the top and get us a solution.

I think the problem causing the rebooting is (Drum roll please...) >>Increased internal operating temperatures.<<
Here is what leads me to believe that:

I have an ATT Samsug Galaxy S5 I bought about 1 month after the product was a "just released". I currently have it on ATT/Cricket. I NEVER had an unintended restart until about 4-5 months ago. Then, it started happening all the time. Sometimes within minutes of each other. No predictable pattern, no specific app use. Even happened when it was simply sitting on the charger "sleeping".

It was making me crazy.

I also noticed a few months ago, i started having incredible battery drain. What used to be 2 days to a charge, now would get chewed up in 1/2-1/3 of a day. Also it seem the phone case was getting awfully hot the last few months - and I NEVER noticed that before.

I tried installing clean Master and various battery protection apps, fast chargers etc. It seemed that the phone always getting warm to the touch - even the screen, which seemed weird.

The battery drain was annoying, but then the restarting began and made me crazy. I first noticed it while texting, then later on the phone, then on browser, and finally any time, any app.

I tried uninstalling Facebook - seemed to help, but not stop the restarts. Tried doing resets, changing default settings, eliminating suspicious apps etc etc. which helped some but still had the restarts.

Then an even happened which gave me the insight - I was at an outdoor location (musical event) where my band was performing. As usual, I put the phone away safe during th gig in a black fabric case with my wallet and watch. Because it was a hot day outdoors, I put in under a table.

When I came back, I saw the sun/shadows had shifted, and my black case was in the direct sun. I opened it, and the contents inside were hot. I turned on my phone and thankfully it started. But then it began to restart, and restart and restart. i felt the back case and it was burning up! I rushed it into the gift shop, into AC and pulled the back cover off, pulled the battery and put it under the AC vent until it was cool. Guess what? The restarting behavior vanished :-0

So here is what I think, but can not prove:

The latest version/update of Lolipop/ version 5 has an internal incompatibility with some of my pre-existing apps that allows them to "run wild" in the backround increasing device temp. When it senses a high temp it shuts down.

Other possibilities:

1) The temperature sensor is broken
2) Battery temperature is the issue, not device temperature
3) Battery is shorted causing the high temps
4) Case is not allowing adequate ventilation (I have a Kraken Trident heavy duty case)
5) Device itself was fried from a high temperature encounter
6) Maybe it is shutting down for another reason and high temp is an effect but not cause.

Nevertheless - a temperature issue fits much of what I have read on this forum.

I have downloaded a temperature app and will see if I can document temps that are present at restart time. Then if we can find a critical temp, maybe we can find out why this is happening: software, hardware or battery.

Mull this over and see if it fits your personal observations with this restart problem. I await your observations and input.

Hung Dong

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone tried this to fix the thermal issue?

Google play services was quickly eating up the battery on my S5. Time will tell if it fixes my rebooting problem.
search for Google Play Services battery drain fix

diexiel

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
hey every one I've posted on this topic few things about my wife's galaxy s 5 g900f phone. like run in safe mod, full flash the android version to 4.4 from 5.0 tried also to wipe every thing and nothing helped. I thought that maybe this is hardware problem and not the software, and luckily her phone is still under warranty. so I bring the phone to the shop where she bought it, after a week I've get a call that this was hardware problem in the end and they now replacing the phones board (like mother board in pc). the phone should be ready in the week. and I hope it will be the end of the rebooting issue. so every one who still have warranty on the phone take it to the lab and don't wait.

Dave Douglas

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Mine has started doing the reboot thing. I just checked for a software upgrade in settings, and there is one. Downloading now. Hopefully, this will solve the problem....more to come.

MickelX2

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought a certified preowned S5 from T-Mobile... mine keeps doing this too. from playing jarrasic world or angry birds, being on Facebook, or Spotify...
i always close my apps so i only have one or two open at a time. All my apps are from the Google play store, and they are apps i used when i had a cheep ZTE phone and that never restarted on me. It was way slower, but it never randomly restarted on me like this. I was just tryna type a text once and it did it, so i got rid of my Kika Keyboard because i thought that might have done it. but alas this issue continues. Like, i understand it slowing down when im playing a game and a FB Chat Head pops up but this is crazy..... also even after closing all apps and turning on arplane mode/battrysaver it was still pulling 1.5 Ghz on the CPU out of the 1.66 it says the phone has.... i was even trye stoping sevices but it was still super slow
I cant afford i new phone i just bought this one a month ago, finally got off my china phones and spent money on what s supposed to be a good phone....
My HTC One w/ Windows never restarted but i cant stand the lack of apps, and limmited functionallity

edit... as i was reading ironass trying to help the other guy(dont remeber name) my phone just restarted..... it was just sitting there i was reading, then i heard the t-moblie start up sound, i look down and its starting back up. no apps open just sitting there

Last edited:

SamsungSteals

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I've also got a Galaxy s5 g900f. It also randomly restarts and has been doing so ever since I bought it new, in early May. I have factory reseted my phone many, many times, tried it in safe mode, tried it using only Samsung provided applications, tried it with and without the sd card (which also happens to be Samsung). No luck, it just keeps restarting.

Samsung made me send it three times to a repair centre (since May), which found nothing wrong with the phone. They told me that that proved my phone was alright and that the problem was surely something with the software. They also asked me (for like the millionth time) if I had tried a factory reset...

I flashed Exodus (a custom rom) to my phone, thinking that that might be the solution (I know that may void the warranty but the issue is moot in my case, since Samsung assures me my phone is fine). In any case, Exodus custom rom and all, the phone keeps randomly restarting. The custom rom is otherwise nice looking, fast, and in my case, absolutely useless.

None of the solutions I've seen offered around on the internet was any good for my particular handset. Hope you guys have better luck. The phone costed me 400 Swiss francs, and is going to a recycle centre pretty soon.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I've also got a Galaxy s5 g900f. It also randomly restarts and has been doing so ever since I bought it new, in early May. I have factory reseted my phone many, many times, tried it in safe mode, tried it using only Samsung provided applications, tried it with and without the sd card (which also happens to be Samsung). No luck, it just keeps restarting.

Samsung made me send it three times to a repair centre (since May), which found nothing wrong with the phone. They told me that that proved my phone was alright and that the problem was surely something with the software. They also asked me (for like the millionth time) if I had tried a factory reset...

I flashed Exodus (a custom rom) to my phone, thinking that that might be the solution (I know that may void the warranty but the issue is moot in my case, since Samsung assures me my phone is fine). In any case, Exodus custom rom and all, the phone keeps randomly restarting. The custom rom is otherwise nice looking, fast, and in my case, absolutely useless.

None of the solutions I've seen offered around on the internet was any good for my particular handset. Hope you guys have better luck. The phone costed me 400 Swiss francs, and is going to a recycle centre pretty soon.

Hello and welcome to Android Central SamsungSteals!

Sorry to learn you are having problems with your phone. I presume that it is the G900F, international model?

Having tried all the usual things that I would recommend, to no avail, I would suggest, as per #2.7 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide, that you download the stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone, CSC and Product code and flash it via Odin.

If your problem persists, it is almost certainly a faulty motherboard and you will need to demand that Samsung test it under your 2 year warranty.

Hung Dong

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
It will not let me leave a link. But if you search for: Google Play Services battery drain fix

After I reinstalled a newer version Google Play Services my battery life is great, the phone stays cool, and it has not rebooted randomly again. Has anyone else tried this? Did it fix the problem for you too? I have a S5 on Verizon running a custom ROM called MOAR.
Thanks,
Hung

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87