How do I set Poweramp as my default music player?

megagene

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...And set it up so that when I plug in my headphones and hit play on the remote, the music starts playing. On my S3, it was really easy. I just installed the app, and when asked if I wanted to set it as my default music player, I just said yes, and presto! Poweramp all day every day. I'd plug in my headphones and it was good to go. But on my S5, there doesn't seem to be any way to set a default music player. If I go into my application manager and go to Poweramp, under "Launch by default", It says "No defaults set", but there is no way to press the "Clear defaults" button because it isn't highlighted. It's just faded. This is the case for Google Play Music, and the default S5 music player app as well.
When I go to "Default applications" in the settings, under "Set Defaults", there are only 2 options: "Home" (TouchWiz Home), and "Messages", but there doesn't appear to be any way from here to set any new default apps such as my music player of choice. The worst part is, maybe 4 out of 10 times, when I plug in my headphones and click the play button on the remote, Poweramp will start and a song will start to play, but the other 6 times, I'll click play and nothing will happen and I have to unlock my phone and manually press play on the Poweramp widget on one of my home screens. I just want to plug in my headphones and have it work consistently every time like it did on my S3.

The solution is probably something really simple that I'm just totally overlooking, but I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. Any suggestions?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: How do I set Poweramp as my default music player?...

Apparently there is already a "default music player".

go into settings and turn off the current media default player.

Settings/Apps/Default Apps/

clear what you don't want.

next time you play music, the phone will ask you to choose again.

megagene

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Apparently there is already a "default music player".

go into settings and turn off the current media default player.

Settings/Apps/Default Apps/

clear what you don't want.

next time you play music, the phone will ask you to choose again.

No that's the problem. I don't have a default music/media player (unless you mean YouTube?) There are only 3 set defaults that can be cleared: TouchWiz Home, YouTube, and Chrome. That's it.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Okay, then create a macro to sense the headphone jack being used and then have it activate the music player you want.

MacroDroid is very versatile, play around with it, lots of power in that app.

The trigger you want is "Headphones Insert/Remove"
follow the above steps to select the appropriate responses for the media player.

megagene

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Okay, then create a macro to sense the headphone jack being used and then have it activate the music player you want.

MacroDroid is very versatile, play around with it, lots of power in that app.

The trigger you want is "Headphones Insert/Remove"
follow the above steps to select the appropriate responses for the media player.

Do I need to be rooted to use this MacroDroid app? Is there no other way to do this within the given abilities/settings of the S5? I never had to download any apps for my S3 just to get Poweramp to work when I plugged in my headphones.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

This will not make your music player come on automatically when you put in your headphones, but it will bring you a step closer.
Go to Settings - Notifications. At the top is a listing for "recommended apps". Long press that bar and it will give you a list of players to be used with headphones. Include your player of choice.
When you plug in your headphones, this list will appear in the notification bar.

Posted via Me

megagene

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

This will not make your music player come on automatically when you put in your headphones, but it will bring you a step closer.
Go to Settings - Notifications. At the top is a listing for "recommended apps". Long press that bar and it will give you a list of players to be used with headphones. Include your player of choice.
When you plug in your headphones, this list will appear in the notification bar.

Posted via Me
Haha. I had already done that hoping it would fix the problem. I do appreciate all these tips you're giving me, by the way. Just frustrated that something that seemingly should be so simple is so impossible to figure out how to do.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Do I need to be rooted to use this MacroDroid app? Is there no other way to do this within the given abilities/settings of the S5? I never had to download any apps for my S3 just to get Poweramp to work when I plugged in my headphones.

Nope, no Root required. You will though, maybe need to purchase the Upgraded Premium version which is only about 5 bucks. Depends on how sophisticated you want the macro to be. The Free Version allows 5 simple macros.

+ Create Macro

Trigger: Headphones Inserted
Action: Control Media
Select Default Player
Select Play

or

Trigger: Headphones Inserted
Action: Launch Application
Select app you want, ie, PowerAmp

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

You can also install something like Llama (free) and create a similar event. Of course, Llama can do a zillion other things too, like turn on your wifi when you get home, turn it off when you leave, and turn off data when you're in a game (I use this to stop most ads). Very useful app.

I use Poweramp too. Excellent player!

Berry_Pink

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

While in the Poweramp app, go to settings then headset/Bluetooth and settings then audio, is it set up to look like this already?uploadfromtaptalk1410702107537.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410702311411.jpg

Dazede

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Are you on lollipop? This could be the cause. On kitkat when I downloaded a song off Drive, it would ask if I wanted Poweramp or Google bmusic but now in 5.1 it doesn't