How to remove .heic format from camera?

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Lots of times I'm in a hurry to take an image. My camera always defaults to .heic format which is unusable to me. I have switched it somehow to JPEG (I guess in Pro Mode) but I guess when I restart my phone it goes back to .heic. I can set the default in Pro Mode to JPEG but my camera always starts up in Photo Mode. Can somebody tell me how to completely delete .heic from my phone? Or, how to default start my camera in Pro Mode every time.
As always, thanks for the help.
N2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Pro mode Heic not available in the s24u in single shot it is
I think the issue is that the Camera app is defaulting to saving photos in HEIC format rather than JPG, even after toggling the preference back to JPG and then rebooting the phone.

You can't delete that toggle. I'm not sure why it's defaulting to HEIC each time, though. My Galaxy A32 5G (which is still on Android 13) remembers the toggle preference. Are there any preinstalled Samsung apps or settings that automatically optimize storage? If so, maybe that's forcing the HEIC, since that's a more efficient storage format compared to JPG.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think the issue is that the Camera app is defaulting to saving photos in HEIC format rather than JPG, even after toggling the preference back to JPG and then rebooting the phone.

You can't delete that toggle. I'm not sure why it's defaulting to HEIC each time, though. My Galaxy A32 5G (which is still on Android 13) remembers the toggle preference. Are there any preinstalled Samsung apps or settings that automatically optimize storage? If so, maybe that's forcing the HEIC, since that's a more efficient storage format compared to JPG.
Yeah this is pro mode what OP mentioned not the standard Camera mode if I'm understanding it correctly

Reactions: B. Diddy

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Lots of times I'm in a hurry to take an image. My camera always defaults to .heic format which is unusable to me. I have switched it somehow to JPEG (I guess in Pro Mode) but I guess when I restart my phone it goes back to .heic. I can set the default in Pro Mode to JPEG but my camera always starts up in Photo Mode. Can somebody tell me how to completely delete .heic from my phone? Or, how to default start my camera in Pro Mode every time.
As always, thanks for the help.
N2
In my S23+, running One UI 5.1 v. 13 . .

In Camera settings > Settings to keep > Camera mode ... there's a: "Start camera in the last used mode, such as video, instead of always starting in Photo mode."

. . . in case that may help you.

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Are there any preinstalled Samsung apps or settings that automatically optimize storage? If so, maybe that's forcing the HEIC, since that's a more efficient storage format compared to JPG.
That makes sense. I'll look around in there. I'm usually in a hurry when I want to take a photo. No time to check all the settings.
I don't understand why I can set the features I want to use a default.
If I find a solution I'll post it here.

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
OK, I found something...
Camera settings -Advanced picture options- High efficiency pictures- Save space... I do believe I've turned this off before but I'll try it again now. Also, I clear my cache often. I wonder if this is the default setting? I'll reboot. But I wonder if it turns back on after an update?
Stand by, I'll reboot now.

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
OK, rebooted and feature was still disabled. Rebooted and cleared cache. Feature was still disabled. Looks like you guys fixed it.
I'll check it again after the next update and post here what happens.
Thank you.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you say you clear cache often, do you mean the app cache for the Camera app, or the system cache partition? If it's the app cache, are you also clearing the app data? The latter would reset the settings for the app, and that might explain why it keeps reverting to HEIC (although I would've thought that the default was still JPG).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000