what's the maximum read/write speed of the S5's MicroSDXC card slot?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
what's the maximum read/write speed of the S5's MicroSDXC card slot?

I'm looking to buy a 64Gb MicroSDXC. Speeds are rated anywhere from 30MB/s to 90MB/s.

Just not sure if the S5 can actually take advantage of the faster read/write speeds of more expensive cards.

Thanks!

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Great question. I too would like to know the answer to this. I just got a Samsung 64 GB card that is rated for up to 48 MB/s. I was thinking of buying a faster card but this one was such a good deal that I scooped it up.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Great question. I too would like to know the answer to this. I just got a Samsung 64 GB card that is rated for up to 48 MB/s. I was thinking of buying a faster card but this one was such a good deal that I scooped it up.

yeah, I got the same one after reading the Slickdeals thread. I couldn't pass up the Amazon sale price of $23.95

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I haven't been able to test the S5 yet but my Surface Pro 2's memory card slot runs at about 15-20MB/s so I can't imagine the S5 being all that much faster if it is actually faster.

Honestly, it doesn't matter which card you get as the slot's speeds will likely be lower than the write speeds that are supported. Get whichever card costs you less. Even if it could fully read 60MB/s and that wasn't just a burst speed (which it is), I doubt it would be noticeable compared to a 30MB/s card.

Ratspeed

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello! Just in case you still need this information, I just got off a live chat with a Samsung rep since I was getting so many conflicting answers from forums, and I was amazed to hear that the Samsung S5's write capabilities are U3, which is 250MB/s. The read speed however is limited to Class 10 at 70MB/s.

Here's a transcript of how the conversation went down. I was actually rather amazed to see someone in a live chat actually having a solid answer and understanding what I was asking so quickly.

David: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Ratspeed: Hi David, I have what I think is a simple question, but on Google I've been trying to search for the answer, but haven't found it yet. I have the Galaxy S5, and I'm wondering what speed the external microSD memory bus is. Is it Class 10, UHS-1, or UHS-3?

David: I will be glad to assist you with the available information.

David: The S 5 device support is still class 10. Fastest speeds at up to 70MB/s read.

Ratspeed: What's the maximum write speed, do you know?

Ratspeed: Write speed?

David: It depends on the SD card.

Ratspeed: Doesn't it depend on the max speed of the bus itself though? Like isn't there a cap where it doesn't matter what speed card you have? I just want to make sure I don't spend money on a card that isn't going to be worth the money.

David: It exceeds the Speed Class (U3) spec, supporting continuous write speeds of up to 250MB/s.

Ratspeed: Really...

David: Yes.

Ratspeed: So, say for instance, if I were to get the U3 ExtremePro from SanDisk, which says it does 90 write speed, it'll be able to handle that? I'm going to be doing video (the thing has a great camera) so that's what I've been specifically concerned about is the write speed so the video doesn't lag.

David: Yes.​

So I hope this info helps someone have a better time trying to find the answer than I did.

Ratspeed: Awesome :) Wow... 250MB/s. Alright, thank you!

David: You're welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non