Why does my music pause randomly while my phone is locked and in my pocket?

Daaniel Tran

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Music pauses randomly while my phone is locked and in pocket.

This recently started happening. I will be walking with my phone in my pocket and it is locked, but suddenly my music will pause for no apparent reason. I look at my phone and nothing has happened except my music is now paused. I didn't even touch my headphones. It happens around 3 times every time I take a 30 minute walk. It is so irritating to have your music abruptly stop. One time it went completely haywire and the voice dialer came up and the volume cranked itself all the way up and the robotic google voice nearly damaged my ear drums. Now sometimes the voice dialer comes up once it pauses, but very rarely. It will normally just pause randomly.

I use to believe it was my pocket pausing the music because the touch screen is very terrible on this phone and would skip my music when I was walking but I've since flipped my phone the other way in my pocket so thats not possible.

I've turned off all the gestures, motions, airview, etc.

Thanks for the help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Music pauses randomly while my phone is locked and in pocket.

Welcome to Android Central! Is it possible that the Home button is being inadvertently pressed, which wakes the screen in your pocket--and then the pause button on the Music widget gets touched?

Detectionable

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Possibility it's the proximity sensor, if I'm listening to a voice message on WhatsApp and move my phone from the top, holding it too close to the sensor, it first starts playing the message from the ear piece speaker instead of the loud speaker, and when I move my hand away again, it pauses it - really annoying and not just happening on Droid, it happened on my Lumia too

Wonder if that's happening with your music, although with the screen off that sensor should be inactive

Try it manually, stick the phone on the table, play music, turn screen off, then put your hand over the sensors for a few seconds and remove it, see if it does it again

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

If you are using the headphones that came with your S5, I would say those are the culprit. Everything you described would lead me to believe that you have a short in your in-line control button, especially the voice dialer starting.

I know that's a hard one to test out unless you have another pair of stock ear buds. Maybe try a pair of normal no button headphones next time you walk and see if it continues to happen. If it doesnt, you can bet it was the stock ear buds.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(258826)

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

+1 on headphones. I too had problems with my S5 randomly pausing music, then I realized that my JLabs J5M was just barely losing enough contact in the headphone jack for the music to stop. It's the same effect as if you intentionally unplug your headphones: the music pauses. Granted, my TPU case may have been the cause of the male headphone connector popping out, but I certainly don't have this problem with my non-microphoned Yamaha earbuds.

rbk4fun

May 22, 2015
Visit site

Did you find a solution? I have the same problem. It happens with Spotify, Pandora, OR music that is on my phone - so this is not an internet connection issue. It also happens with Bluetooth connection (this has happened with 3 different blue tooth devices - so it is not the device) OR just using the speaker on the phone. Nothing is touching the phone - it is sitting on my desk. It is EXTREMELY annoying. It simply pauses and then you have to hit the play button again. Timing is random - sometimes it's 20 minutes, somethimes it's 5 minutes. I posted a similar question recently but haven't had any responses.

Brian_Blaire

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

Settings > Motions and Gestures > Mute/Pause > Placing Palm On Screen & Turning Device Over > Turn them Off

Posted via the Samsung Galaxy S5

Robby Robb

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site

At least I know im not alone I'm thinking about buying a ipod an ditching all my music on my phone :(

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9704933)

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I have the same exact problem. I discovered Don't Pause but that did not help. If I reinstall Spotify, it will play without pausing for about a day and then the problem returns. I, also, am about to throw in the towel and switch to an iPhone. At least there I can enjoy music.:mad:

Derek Potter1

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I had the same problem with Play Music with my S7 but whilst trying a few different settings I saw that the notification bar was always active when I took the phone out of my pocket so:

1. I checked that the "keep screen turned off" function was on via Settings>Display
and
2. I turned off notifications from the Play Music app via Display>Notifications.

After that I had no issues with pausing. I don't use Spotify so I don't know if that would work for it or other apps.

U3962521

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Settings > Motions and Gestures > Mute/Pause > Placing Palm On Screen & Turning Device Over > Turn them Off

Posted via the Samsung Galaxy S5

Using a samsung galaxy s7
And in settinfs there isnt the options you describe
******* hate updates that make these user forums useless since the manufacturer is constantly changing how thinhs look. Having this problem. Will return the phone if i cant sort it out and get a refund.

Last edited by a moderator:

ktfcoyote

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Solution found!

Hi! I have an Lg G5 running Android 7.0. I have the same problem with the music pausing when the phone turns over, which is annoying when I have it in my pocket and am walking. I couldn't find anything under the phone settings for motion or gestures. I found it in the music program itself! Actually, I use the Gallery to store my video/music files. Turn on the player and check the settings there. Turn off 'Pause When Flip'. Hope this makes sense.