s health/pedometer not counting steps since lollipop update

mostly10

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
since I installed lollipop, s health no longer counts steps unless I have opened the app very recently. as it's become very unreliable overall, I'm not sure how many steps it counts even then. I can't seem to google my way to finding out if this is a common problem or not, but none of the suggested "fixes" I've found for the pedometer have helped.
the pedometer widget is also super buggy, sometimes displaying the step count but mostly only the shoe circle icon and no number at all.

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Dude i have the same problem and i am mad !!!!!! I dont know what has happened to my phone and i guess noone knows.. I know it is a little thing but i really need that step counter and i cant go 10000 times a day, unlocking and checking is my S health is running..

Last edited by a moderator:

jcwchan

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Same problem. I have contacted samsung about it but they want to connect to my phone and have a look which i havent done so. Cleared the cache, reload data, restart phone. I have tried it all. Running on s5 lollipop on uk three network. Lost a lot of counts unless i load s health manually.

SierraFarStar

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Same problem in Spain afer Lollipop update on Samsumg galaxy s5 one month ago. It seems to be stopped when clearing S Health from recent used applicatton list. But it also gets stopped by after a cup of hours working.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. It turned out I had to update the Gear Manager and S Health and then only slowly over time has it started to work again. There are days it misses steps. My phone has been worse after the Lollipop update: battery drain, lagging, hanging, rebooting. I have not done a Factory Reset because I am in a free program where I am not allowed to do a Factory Reset. I have not tried clearing the main cache. I think sprint should have gone with 5.0.2 in stead of 5.0

Last edited:

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Besides kbboykin, have you all tried doing a factory reset or at least clearing the cache or pulling the battery or restarting the phone?

jcwchan

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Besides kbboykin, have you all tried doing a factory reset or at least clearing the cache or pulling the battery or restarting the phone?

I have cleared the cache but not prepare to do a factory restore at this stage as i have got some application which is tied to the phone and reseting the phone locks me out eg banking.

It has been a little better but i notice that if i press the power button to lock the screen most of the time it stops it. When i let it go to lock by itself it seems to work for a few hours.

Tia Johnson1

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I tried all that, several times! No of that worked. When I open the phone in Safe Mode, it works for about a minute or less then stops. My screen rotation also stopped working at same time as my SHealth Pedometer (but both work for that firt minute in SafeMode), so I am inclined to think there is an annoying background app that is interfering with the gyroscope. This has me so incredibly irked!!!!!
:mad:

Tia Johnson1

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Doing a factory restore did not fix the problem. The only time I can get the S Health pedometer to work is when I open the phone in SafeMode. The screen rotation on my phone also stopped working at the same time as the SHealth pedometer; this also works when I turn on phone in SafeMode. However, they only work for the first minute or so when the phone is in SafeMode. I think there must be some background app interfering with the gyroscope, but I can't figure out which app it is because when I begin installing one app, more accessory apps will install as well. Now I can't get rid of these irritating apps. ANT+ Plugins, WTF! I don't even know what that does! It won't go away, even after 3 factory restores!! ARGHHH!!

Nick Armour

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
"The screen rotation on my phone also stopped working at the same time as the SHealth pedometer; this also works when I turn on phone in SafeMode."

Tia, I've been having the exact same problem. Screen rotation and pedometer stopped right around the same time. Done a factory reset and it worked for about an hour and now nothing again. I heard you could type *#0*# into the dial screen and check phone settings but even that doesn't work for me.

If anybody has solutions to this, please help. I really liked this phone until this completely buggy Lollipop update. I feel like Samsung owes us for all this BS it has caused. Definitely making me consider getting a different phone with all the new problems.

smokeybay64

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I uninstalled the updates on the S health app and it works fine now.
For this you have to navigate to the system Settings of Android and open here the application manager. Change within the manager on the tab "All", then search for the app S-Health. When you found it tap on it to show the app information. Next, tap on the button "Force Stop" and then "Uninstall Updates".

E179527

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Nope. That didn't work for me ;-(
Any more ideas?

I just uninstalled Facebook messenger because it's known for messing up other applications and my s health now works perfectly again! I'm so excited!!! And yes I had tried,cache,restarting,and everything else.

ktdidnot

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Interesting. I uninstalled Messenger and it was tracking my steps BUT it is tracking like 27 steps when I only take 10. Kind of weird. Before I uninstalled Messenger it said I had only walked 2 minutes by 10 o'clock and it is a 6 minute walk just from my car to my desk. And only 200 steps and it is closer to 800 steps from my car to my desk.

Guess I will see how it goes. At least it is tracking something so I don't feel like such a slug. :)

Momchi

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Doing a factory restore did not fix the problem. The only time I can get the S Health pedometer to work is when I open the phone in SafeMode. The screen rotation on my phone also stopped working at the same time as the SHealth pedometer; this also works when I turn on phone in SafeMode. However, they only work for the first minute or so when the phone is in SafeMode. I think there must be some background app interfering with the gyroscope, but I can't figure out which app it is because when I begin installing one app, more accessory apps will install as well. Now I can't get rid of these irritating apps. ANT+ Plugins, WTF! I don't even know what that does! It won't go away, even after 3 factory restores!! ARGHHH!!

I had an issue that after a few days noticed that steps, runs etc were not updating. S-health main page double arrows in upper right corner were rotating constantly but no new data was syncing. My gear fit was showing steps history, but nothing on device. I did clear cache, deleted data, etc with no success. Was convinced that my backup data in Samsung cloud was corrupted and almost came to the point to reset it and lose it all, but to get it to work again. What turned out to be the case was that although my blue tooth connection was on, a "power management" app (Clean Master) was disconnecting the connected devices after the Gear fit manager was no longer running in foreground (I think Clean Master calls this "app hybernation"). Once I restarted the gear fit manager, and reconnected blue tooth, I had to do manually "Transfer now" (data) in GearFit manager "apps and settings" under S-health.

THEN, I got all my missing data for the last few days back into the app!

Make sure your GearFit manager is always running and bluetooth connected to the watch...

Sounds really simple, but it ate my lunch fit for a few days :)....

P.S. and consider removing all "battery or memory saving" apps, these are not needed, Android manages all this no worse and these only could cause problems! !!

Teresiak

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site

I have not done factory reset (and don't want to) Everything is up to date. U'very cleared cache, pulled battery. Nothing worked. Please suggest.

Niyality

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
This happened to me on my note 4 and it irked me so damn much. S Health kept of crashing. When it did open, I would click on Steps and it would just endlessly try and load it with the loading circle until it crashed...Tried it all. Force stopping it, disabling it, uninstalling and reinstalling, factory resetting my phone!!! Then tonight I was messing around with my phone as I have a 15 mile charity walk tomorrow and I reaaaaally want to count my steps. Go to phone settings, application manager and scroll down to S Health. Now select Permissions. Select Body Sensors if it isn't selected!

This has worked for me and I hope it works for others!

Mike_S

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
I use an older Galaxy S5, my camera rotation stopped working recently, after some digging, I learned that a recent Samsung Health update caused the issue. I uninstalled the update and the phone worked normal again, until the app auto updated a day later. With the update uninstalled, all my data was lost. I have disabled the app and phone camera rotation works flawlessly and gyro sensor is 100%. I emailed the developer, if they fix the issue, I'll resume using the app, wish all my history was not lost when I reverted back from the update.