Why am I getting a message pop up sign-in failed for my email?

A

AC Question

message pop up sign-in failed for my email

I have a galaxy S 5 and i had a pop up as a notification it reads; Sign-in Failed for my email, I'm already logged in, does this mean some one else is trying to log in?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: message pop up sign-in failed for my email

Welcome to Android Central! I don't think it means someone else is trying to log in. Stock Email apps do this kind of thing from time to time, even if your email account seems to be syncing ok. Try removing the email account from the Email app, then add it back again.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

Something random that seems to happen on rare occasions. It actually happened to me a couple of days ago but seemingly corrected itself. It's weird.

Posted via the Android Central App

Brandon Stevens1

May 15, 2016
Visit site

I have a galaxy S 5 and i had a pop up as a notification it reads; Sign-in Failed for my email, I'm already logged in, does this mean some one else is trying to log in?

I figured it out. You email app lost its permissions to your email. Go to your app manager and allow it the permissions it needs.

Underoath489

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
Tried everything, nothing works. Cleared Internet cache, tried removing the email account from the stock email app itself and then re-adding it, tried to re-allow app permissions via my app manager (that wasn't the issue)... not sure what else to do. It keeps saying "authentication failed" when I try to set my account back up. It's not that I can't access my email, I have the Outlook app so there's no issue there, it's that I don't want to keep being reminded every 15 minutes until the end of time that my email sign-in failed because you can delete that stock email app, but you can't uninstall it. Help!

steevscool

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
I have been getting this message, too. The problem is that it gives me a very loud notification that my email sign in has failed, but there's nothing for me to fix. I'd love to just be able to turn the thing off, but I paid a butt-load for this phone, and it should work.

Al Hat

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site

I figured it out. You email app lost its permissions to your email. Go to your app manager and allow it the permissions it needs.

I think I have worked out a solution, at least for my s4 with the same annoying problem.

I had updated my email password on my PC . This in turn had made the phone fail to sign into my email linked account on the phone. So I just needed to update the server password on my phone to the same password

Open the email app
Click settings bottom left
Click Account settings
Click on your linked email account
Click Password ( update your password to match the server )
Enter your password

Fixed ;)

Hope that helps somebody out there it was keeping me awake.

HaightMale

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
For the last couple months I also have the constant "Sign-in failed" notifications for Yahoo Mail app on my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4, and nothing tried has solved the problem. These "sign-in failed" notifications pop up regularly every 30 minutes on the single-finger pull-down list (with the accompanying Notifications sound!?!?!).

Now, I don't have a Yahoo Mail password I can change anymore because back a few months ago when Yahoo announced their 2014 security breach to Yahoo Mail, they strongly recommended users switch to their Yahoo Account Key method of signin, which sends you a new sign-in password "Key" on your mobile phone every time you want to login to your Yahoo Mail account wherever. This Yahoo Account Key method of login was supposedly the most secure going forward.

But its seems like since I switched to this new Account Key sign-in method several weeks ago, although it works fine as a secure sign-in method, I started getting these constant "sign-in failed" notifications on my S4 for my primary Yahoo Mail account. Samsung says it's Yahoo's problem, and Yahoo Mail support info (such as it is!) has nothing on this.

Any suggestions to stop these "sign-in failed" popups for someone using the Yahoo Account Key method of sign-in?

krbeave1

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Fed up with "Sign-in failed"

I am about to destroy my Galaxy S4 and my laptop and get a landline and an answering machine. I am utterly sick of owning a device that works so inconsistently poorly and needs so much attention. I am a mechanic and would be ashamed to design something this unreliable.
I get a "Sign-in failed" notification. Constantly. Firstly, on what account? Nowhere does it say. Secondly, to do anything about it you need a password. Problem is, no passwords that I've ever generated are recognized. Even the one I changed on my Google account yesterday. Because I had to "Update my password". It took 12 tries before it would accept any new password at all and that password doesn't work on "Sign-in failed" in the phone. Is this account even Gmail?
I AM FED UP!
:mad:

Last edited:

NanGD

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
This just started happening to me on my Galaxy S5. That annoying bell rang at 2:45 am. I did change my outlook password using my browser on my laptop yesterday. Now my phone says sign-in failed and this bell rings. It says my server password has changed, (it has,) but when I put the new password in, it goes into a never-ending action that says Checking incoming server settings. I tried deleting the account, restarting the phone, adding the account back. Still after I enter the password, it just shows the Checking incoming server settings message and the the spinning circle. So annoying!

GussNemo

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I had this same thing happen to my Samsung Galaxy s5 phone, and searched the internet for a solution. After trying all the solutions I read about, and when none of them worked, I tried going to mail.google.com ,that was mentioned on one site, on my home computer.

I logged in using my Galaxy s5 email account name, and was asked to send a message to my smartphone, which asks if you are the one making the request. Once I selected "yes," I was in my Gmail account for my smartphone. The reason I went to mail.google.com on my home computer, was to check the Account Type for my account; whether it was imap or pop3. I tried entering my password but found the one I'd written down wasn't the one the system was expecting--my goof in writing down my password. So, I clicked on "forgot password" to enter a new password. Once that was done, I written down accurately, I was granted access to my smartphone Gmail account.

Once the gear on the upper right is clicked on, a drop down menu appears. Once Settings is selected, the main settings for the account can be viewed by selecting whichever heading at the top of the page. Selecting Forward and Imap or Pop3, I think it said, will take you to the page with the imap or pop3 information on it. Clicking on Learn More under either Pop3 or Imap will bring up detailed information for those account types. Since Pop3 was disabled, and Imap was enabled, I clicked on the Learn More for Imap. Once I wrote down port numbers, and other information I wanted to have on hand, I went to my Galaxy s5.

What worked for me, so far, was to delete my Gmail address in the Android Email app, and setup the app as if I had a new account. I entered my Gmail address, the new password I'd change while in my Gmail account, chose Manual setup, but ran into some type of problem--bad fingers on the keyboard, I think. At the Incoming mail screen, I made sure the port number I got from my Gmail account was correct and selected Done. A problem was encountered as the app couldn't authenticate the account and would not go to the Outgoing mail screen. After several tries and receiving the same message, I started over completely. I deleted the Gmail address and password I'd entered, and reentered both again, again selecting Manual Setup. This time the first setting allowed authentication and the Outgoing mail screen appeared, as did each successive screen.

So far, and it's been over an hour, not one notification of "sign-in failed" has appeared. Hopefully it will stay that way.

griddlesuk

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
I too sussed out that this problem began when Yahoo had been hacked again and insisted I change the password. So having checked I have the correct incoming and outgoing message settings, and password on the Galaxy S4 and still getting a failure notice, I have now got an email from Yahoo saying they had blocked the sign in attempt as the source 'does not use modern security standards' and to switch to Yahoo Mail app. Now thoroughly confused as that is exactly what I am using and have done for past year. True, I had ignored emails from Yahoo about continuing to use lower security something or other, but they never explained exactly what they meant or what was low security about the something or other! I have seen some forums suggest deleting existing app and reinstalling it. I'm not mobile-savvy and have no idea how to do this anyway! Seems to me I am just suffering from the sub-standard security issues that Yahoo had and their ineptitude in explaining how to resolve resultant problems. Meanwhile 'sign on failed' the pinging is driving me nuts!

mysticshadow75

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
i had the same problem, and what i did was, once i slid the message down to see it, i held my finger down on it until it popped open "Google Account Manager"... then, i unchecked the box that says "Show notifications" and backed out of the app.. all of the sudden i no longer get the message... i restarted my phone, and so far it hasn't shown back up.. fingers crossed it stays that work.... GOOD LUCK

Spaetheim57

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I changed my Microsoft Outlook email password yesterday on my laptop. I had to log in to email again when I turned on my Samsung Galaxy 3. I entered the correct, new password and Outlook opened as usual. Today I got the very same "sign in failed" that is described here. This is what I did: I uninstalled the Microsoft Outlook app on my Galaxy. I reinstalled it and signed in again with the new password. Problem solved. No more sign in failed, no more annoying hiccup sounds every ten minutes.

Skoobiedawg

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site

Had same issue. Went to settings/accounts/Google. Did a manual sync. So far so good. Scratch that. Didn't work.

Eixl Fenrir

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! I don't think it means someone else is trying to log in. Stock Email apps do this kind of thing from time to time, even if your email account seems to be syncing ok. Try removing the email account from the Email app, then add it back again.

I've done that, and my notifications were color coded, they're still pale grey which they should be the color set from my Email as it was my primary Email I was using. It logs onto my games and other apps just fine using my email, but it's bothering they aren't the same color they previously were.

estim50

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site

YAHOO MAIL APP appeared an issue - key pad not pop up when I tried to type or reply.
Just some trick checked on my device SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 which work perfect:
before sending or replying need to attach any file and only after attachment key pad pop up.
So you type whatever you need and remove attachment and send.
Try and respond how it works for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith